What's new

Who's still using giga? THIS guy, that's who.

Great blast from the past--takes me to a previous life many years ago. I recall when giga was all the rage, and I kind of wondered what happened to it.

For those of you, like me, who still have and want to use those wonderful old gig libs, linuxsampler works in windows as well as native linux. I've dumped trying to get the latest kontakt working in wine some time ago, and have gone back, with the enthusiasm of rediscovering old libs, who's quirks and delights i'm familiar with.

https://linuxsampler.org/

Alex.

Last edited:
For those of you, like me, who still have and want to use those wonderful old gig libs, linuxsampler works in windows as well as native linux. I've dumped trying to get the latest kontakt working in wine some time ago, and have gone back, with the enthusiasm of rediscovering old libs, who's quirks and delights i'm familiar with.

https://linuxsampler.org/

Alex.

Linuxsampler is great. With cdxtract and Translator, I've converted a bunch of soundfonts and sampled some windows vsts into giga format for use in a native Linux DAW setup powered by Linuxsampler's gig engine.

The KSP-like NKSP language for linuxsampler's gig and sfz engines is fantastic, and damn, does it extend the life of that old old format (managed to write an auto-alternation tool for GOS and implemented GOS' "masking samples" legato scripting too using NKSP. Neat stuff. Also want to write one of those scripts that uses neighbouring notes for the Dan Dean woodwinds gigastudio collection, amazing set of samples, though limited articulations.)...

Need to figure out how to do Linux <-> Windows audio/midi. With Linux as sequencer master and a windows box as the sampler/slave..

As an aside, are you AlexStone from the Linuxsampler/Open Octave Midi boards?

Last edited:
G-player works fine here. I haven't checked all my libraries to see how well it implements every last nuance, but I don't really need nuance from those old libraries, just an occasional sound that still works well (ethnic stuff primarily).

I like it because I don't have to translate anything. Just load it.

Linuxsampler is great. With cdxtract and Translator, I've converted a bunch of soundfonts and sampled some windows vsts into giga format for use in a native Linux DAW setup powered by Linuxsampler's gig engine.

The KSP-like NKSP language for linuxsampler's gig and sfz engines is fantastic, and damn, does it extend the life of that old old format (managed to write an auto-alternation tool for GOS and implemented GOS' "masking samples" legato scripting too using NKSP. Neat stuff. Also want to write one of those scripts that uses neighbouring notes for the Dan Dean woodwinds gigastudio collection, amazing set of samples, though limited articulations.)...

Need to figure out how to do Linux <-> Windows audio/midi. With Linux as sequencer master and a windows box as the sampler/slave..

As an aside, are you AlexStone from the Linuxsampler/Open Octave Midi boards?

No longer with OpenOctave for a long time, but yes, i am that Alex.

And another Dan Dean user here. He was really laid back about me buying gig format, which i thought was cool. Despite the fewer artics, the samples are excellent.

As for Linux <> Win, you could use jack2. There is a win version as well, and you can run jack2, one for each machine, "joining" them with netjack in a master/slave relationship. (And you can run as many slaves as you want.)

https://www.jackaudio.org/faq/netjack.html

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack2

I managed to successfully port in both directions using netjack2 and using the instructions above. It took a little figuring out how many ports i could add "safely", so you'll likely have an enjoyable, if challenging afternoon testing the capabilities of your own machines.

And yes, i agree the nksp scripting is amazing. I'm still in very much the early days with it, but Christian continues to positively surprise with his vision for LS, and the subsequent benefit for us users.

Some might say that the gig format is dead and gone, but i'd argue it's very much alive, and kicking again with nksp, and recordings are, after all, still recordings. I am looking forward to getting my head around nksp and building out some nice scripts to further enhance my modest but still hard working gig collection.

I have the DD Woodwinds too, and the cool thing was he was perfectly ok with me buying an older format. Didn't try to upsell me into Kontakt or any silly nonsense like that. One of the best investments i ever made. The woodwinds are pristine imho, and versatile, even with few artics. And i can put them in any space, and shape them to fit. A proper sample lib. :)

Alex.

Last edited:
Use GPlayer. Seriously....ESX24 does better than Kontakt at conversions, but neither are remotely what I'd deem acceptable. Meanwhile, I don't know that anything I opened in GPlayer didn't play like it was intended. It's a no brainer if you want to use old libs. I, for one, have no need....so I didn't go beyond demo'ing it....but, it WORKED unlike the mainstream samplers' internal conversions.

Don't know if I would call it unstable (then again, I have only run the demo, perhaps it is?) but I do know that as of the last time I tried it had a real problem with Garritan Orchestral Strings

On Mac it's unstable? #addItToTheList ;) I only ever used it on Windows...when Gigastudio stopped running (64bit Win7)...I wanted to be able to play the old samples. Kontakt can't do it. At all. Not ONE...single...library, played right. EXS24 did remarkably better, but still not the 100% I from GPlayer without even needing to convert anything.

Top Bottom