What's new

Who started composing music under the old school Amiga / Atari Sound Trackers ?

Your post got me thinking. You didn't ask about this computer, but it is, in fact, no longer around. Sure, Apple and Mac are still with us, but everything about this Mac SE is extinct, from the hardware to the OS. I used one to write manuals and music for a game company that produced for Commodore, Atari, etc.

Attachments

• mac se.jpg
    mac se.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: BWG
I started on an Amiga 500 with Music X. Spent a lot of time playing Kick Off 2 though! Moved onto an Atari 1040, far better for music but dreadful for Kick Off.

I don't know if we can say that the Atari was better for music compared to the Amiga, its advantage was above all to have the integrated midi and Cubase software, which put it in the foreground with regard to musicians .

As said above, I did the opposite, I went from the Atari to the Amiga and I started the midi on the latter.
I don't know if there was an equivalent on Atari, but me on Amiga I used Octamed, a tracker which allowed me to combine midi and samples at the same time, which made me save on dedicated samplers which was inaccessible for me at the time.

Reactions: BWG
I don't know if we can say that the Atari was better for music compared to the Amiga, its advantage was above all to have the integrated midi and Cubase software, which put it in the foreground with regard to musicians .

As said above, I did the opposite, I went from the Atari to the Amiga and I started the midi on the latter.
I don't know if there was an equivalent on Atari, but me on Amiga I used Octamed, a tracker which allowed me to combine midi and samples at the same time, which made me save on dedicated samplers which was inaccessible for me at the time.
OMG I remember Octamed it was brilliant!!!!

I think the Atari having MIDI onboard was the killer element. The Amiga was incredible and I loved it but I seem to remember there being a boat load of issues with MIDI timing from Music X. I never found a quantise feature in the early versions as well. Maybe that was just me.

I started writing music (poorly) on a Mac in 1985 and that all changed in grad school in 1986 where they had an Amiga 1000. I got really into music sequencing, sampling, and eventually into ray tracing graphics and 3d videos. So much so I managed a computer store for a while that specialized in Commodore products. My first computer was an Amiga 1000 and I remember thinking I got a good deal when I bought 2MB of RAM for $1500.

Hello.

I just stumbled across a video that just reminded me that I'm old.

When I was younger I had two computer brands that have completely disappeared, the Atari ST and the Comodore Amiga.
I only used it to play games until I discovered a music program called Sound Tracker.
By manipulating this program until I understand how it works, I discovered that I had a musical ear and that in me this hid a composer.
I would like to know if any of you have had the same experience as me?

Absolutely loved watching this video. My brother had an Amiga and would use a sountracker. He never really stuck with it but I do remember him using it and being pretty amazed back then.

I had a Wersi 4 octave Midi keyboard for my C64, but used it as "a synthesizer".
Sequecing was with notator on a Atari 1024 ST with color monitor and 2 midi in/out
interface and a lot of affordable synthesizers and one expensive one (Jup 8).

My first computer was an Amiga 1000 and I remember thinking I got a good deal when I bought 2MB of RAM for $1500.
$1500 for 2MB of ram????! Oh my god lol, times have really changed. :roflmao:
I really nostalgia look back on that time, maybe one day I'll be tempted by a Renoise or something.

Various Atari-ST Models with Emagic Notator, but started with Commodore 64 and C-Lab Scoretrack and a Yamaha DX-21.

Great video! I don't remember which computer it was as I didn't know anything about computer at that time, but I remember having fun with my brother's computer and playing with a software called Fast tracker. I was completly amazed that I could create music with a computer. That was the start point of my passion for composition

I startet with the good old Atari ST and emagics creator (bought up by apple now Logic) in the 90ies. I still have the Atari....

I started with an Alesis MMT8. God that was painful to use!

liiys0KyjW7i6GneoQd1ZUYiOA0ZtcjqHAqfwPpsq42zjlGik1eQ78MqhfuYPFvJmKUENdLzYhSdRLNTFvwltJshZ6l-Szr0X1uYustMsYr8o2kht1mKDkFcyVR0_Fg

And then Bars and Pipes 'Professional' on an Amiga 500...

Tracks.png

Followed by Pro-24 and then Cubase. It took me another 16 years to get Logic!

Ah, the memories!

I've gotten my first C64 system sometime after the war in Croatia (during 1993). I was only twelve at the time, so I was mainly into fun and games when it comes to computers. ;)

In the mid-'90s, I've started learning sequencing on the two keyboards workstations I had at the time: Yamaha V50 and Korg M1. Not until 1997. I had a PC system. When I've finally gotten one, I did some baby moves in computer recording by exploring the early versions of Cubase and Cakewalk. I also had the legendary Creative SoundBlaster Live, though I hated its sounds in comparison to the hardware. I still haven't discovered VST's back then. My serious journey into computer composition and production actually begun a whole decade later - in 2008., I've purchased my first Pro Tools system.

Amiga-1000.png
My first music and composing computer was the Commodore Amiga-1000. Purchased to develop and finish my University project, which was called the MIDI-Sequencer. To record, playback and edit midi data.
Before this I had an Amstrad-CPC64, a Sinclair ZX-81 and Sinclair Spectrum, and a Commodore Vic-20. The Amiga-1000 was probably the best computer I had ever owned until PC's became more popular.

Top Bottom