What's new

Who is this developer?

it is funny for everyone that knows sa., for new people in the field of vi's or people who don't hang around here, they could be fooled that sa website is hacked, and distrust towards sa becomes real. especially since both websites use spitfire in the domainname

this could lead to business damage

Last edited:
Satire is generally funny. But if the effort invested in satire is too much, then it becomes unsettling. And if the effort actually involves registering a domain name and setting up the DNS/hostname-routing entry (which are a pain in the ass) then I start to think that the person who put the thing together, has gone way overboard and maybe needs to put their time and focus into more positive and constructive outlets.
Never heard a squarespace advertisement on a podcast? Any dummy can setup their own website nowadays, or at least that's the message of squarespace. But even if you're doing it the complicated way with your own domain registration robot account and your own webspace, iirc the zonefile is just copy/paste from an existing domain and the settings for the webspace should be straight forward too. The design and writing took way more time for sure. And I appreciate the professional commitment to do fun things that have no other purpose than being fun. If you ask me we all are doing way too little of that and the notion that making something that is funny to others is not a "positive and constructive outlet" is deeply weird to me. I got a good few chuckles out of this one and I'm glad someone made it!

Completely agree. About six years ago we did a very detailed music-related anti-ad campaign which involved a lot of expertise on the subject of course, but also on musical engineering, graphic design, writing and everything related to the matter. Due to this extreme detail we spent on it, it spread viral way faster we ever thought and caused quite a (shit)storm in the media ranging from printed newspapers to even Billboard interviewing us. Had it been a half-assed effort, nobody would had cared, but because it was made plausible enough it caught people's attention.
Link please!

somebody is upset towards sa. i hope sa takes the site down by legal actions. new potential customers could be fooled, that sa website is hacked, and distrust towards sa becomes real.
Nonsense, this page will never come up for google search results for "spitfire" or similar. It's obvious satire and won't do them any harm. If anything it helps their brand awareness because yet again everyone is talking about them. Didn't even have to tease a new library for it.

it is funny for everyone that knows sa., for new people in the field of vi's or people who don't hang around here, they could be fooled that sa website is hacked, and distrust towards sa becomes real. especially since both websites use spitfire in the domainname

this could lead to business damage
Christian and Paul seem like good sports. If they haven't seen it already I wouldn't be surprised if they actually quietly have a little giggle over it...

sure they giggle.. and such.. they know what the site is expressing in satire.
And the domains are not the same.

but.... there is a darker side to this satire website.... (POTENTIALLY that is)

that is...
for total newbies to vi's, this could lead to problems.
Reason: As we all know domain squatting (domain names that look very close to the real domain in writing, and the site on it, clearly is hinting to the other real site) is a problem. All those bank websites, etc.. many squatted domains are used. (e.g. using a zero "0" instead of a real o, etc, phonetically sounding the same if saying fast or looking the same reading the domain quickly.. etc)
I for myself at first didn't notice the grammar error in the domainname, for the first few seconds.
I thought, huh? whats going on here? new website? weird layout.. non really corporate looking etc..
Then it hit me and i started to giggle, reading the name and the texts. (since I know the real website, and such)

If someone forwards this website to a newbie, without telling the satire part... it can lead to negative reactions.. Don't say this won't happen, because it will. Not everybody is friendly you know. Not even here. (it's naive to think there is friendly people only on vi-c, e.g.)

So, there is a downside to these domains and phonetically same sounding names. (albeit, with banking this problem is ofcourse far bigger... i recon that.., but still)

And as maxoctane said: it's going a bit overboard with the domainname, hosting.. making the website.. etc..

So while i laughed about this site.. i still forsee issues towards people with more distance to vi-c and vi's in general (and the brands)

also i don't think this should be posted in the sample talk subforum... since it's not really talking about a library or samples...

Last edited:
So, there is a downside to these domains and phonetically same sounding names. (albeit, with banking this problem is ofcourse far bigger... i recon that.., but still)
I don't put Spifftire in the same category as those malicious sites, though, because unlike those sites, Spifftire can't do any harm. It's obviously designed as a read-only, non-interactive site. So whether you're an experienced VI-Controller who gets every nuance of humor, or a newbie trying to figure out how to buy the libraries, nothing's going to hurt you.

If someone forwards this website to a newbie, without telling the satire part... it can lead to negative reactions.. Don't say this won't happen, because it will. Not everybody is friendly you know. Not even here. (it's naive to think there is friendly people only on vi-c, e.g.)
That's what makes it extra amusing. Case in point:

About 15 years ago, I created a CD single by a fictitious husband & wife duo that satirized how husband & wife country duos using auto-accompaniment keyboards infiltrated the polka circuit. I mailed the CDs all over the country to prominent bandleaders, radio stations/producers and DJs. I went so far as to mail them out from Dubuque, Iowa to mask the project's Milwaukee origin.

gruenwaldcdcover.jpg

Everyone knew it was a joke (and many outright suspected me even though I denied it) but one bandleader did not take it as a joke. He wrote a letter detailing his disappointment. He addressed it to their fictitious name and mailed it to their fictitious address in the fictitious city of Rockfield Heights, Illinois. Naturally it bounced back as undeliverable.

What makes this funny is that at the time, he worked for the Post Office! And what makes it funnier is how he found out it was me. Later that year he was in my studio recording an album. While I was upstairs taking a quick break, he poked around inside the booth and found the lyric sheet for that song that I accidentally left there. I came downstairs, and he goes..."Busted!" But then we both enjoyed a good laugh over the whole thing.

Not everyone will get or appreciate the humor. That's expected. But that's their problem, not the satirist's. If anything, their serious reaction will just amplify the humor for everyone else.

Reading this thread, it seems to me as consequence of the growing trend towards dictatorship vs democracy all over the world more and more people are actively voting (even fighting) against satire and other forms of free speech that deals with thoughts they do not want to be confronted with. A bit disturbing to me ... but surely an observation to be expected looking at politics.

Reading this thread, it seems to me as consequence of the growing trend towards dictatorship vs democracy all over the world more and more people are actively voting (even fighting) against satire and other forms of free speech that deals with thoughts they do not want to be confronted with. A bit disturbing to me ... but surely an observation to be expected looking at politics.
"against satire and other forms of free speech" wait whaaaaaaat? :faint:

free speech that deals with thoughts they do not want to be confronted with. .
Sadly, the modern political climate is afraid of concepts like Spifftire Audio, as it challenges the very foundation of the neo-industrial-corporatist complex.

But believe me, brother, Spifftire Audio will prevail in the fight against dictatorship.

Last edited:
Sadly, the modern political climate is afraid of concepts like Spifftire Audio, as it challenges the very foundation of the neo-industrial-corporatist complex.

But believe me, brother, Spifftire Audio will prevail in the fight against dictatorship.
Followup: I've received hundreds of private messages in my inbox since posting this ten minutes ago. People are afraid, both for themselves, and for me for speaking out. I want to assure everyone that NO I will not be silenced. We will band together and we will win, no matter how dire it may seem along the way. Stay tuned for further instructions.

Now when I read anything Spitfire related on the forum, I immediately read it as Spifftire 🤣
“Spifftire Audio Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations”
”Spifftire Studio Solo Strings- Worth a try?”
”Spifftire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra”…

Satire is generally funny. But if the effort invested in satire is too much, then it becomes unsettling. And if the effort actually involves registering a domain name and setting up the DNS/hostname-routing entry (which are a pain in the ass) then I start to think that the person who put the thing together, has gone way overboard and maybe needs to put their time and focus into more positive and constructive outlets.
Personally, I admire the dedication to follow a joke through to such an extent. I'd also bet that whoever did it has no problems finding the focus and energy for other creative pursuits :2thumbs:

Top Bottom