What's new

Which synth do you think produces the best bass?

@germancomponist

A tricky question and I think we need to seperate the brands from the theory. We would maybe all agree that alot of synths can do bass fairly well. But how we percieve bass is a whole other enchilada, methinks. Pure low frequency sound is one way to think about it, or how is it combined with higher sounds to make it richer and easier to hear in context. The bass reproduction is tricky because playback in bad rooms can cause all sorts of dips and peaks. I’m currently trying to tame a rather nasty 100 hz dip in my control room.blah :(

So what comes to mind is that a good quality sine wave is the essence of the extreme low end. It’s pure and I think it’s what I would try to use if I was looking for sound in the sub 125hz area. The tricky thing when using bass in context is phase issues with other sources. It’s possible that sounds blend and cut the bass, or add and causes a result you didn’t expect>>>> less is more. I would try and isolate the instrument sources that reproduce bass and decide which one is king. Extreme bass doesn’t sound like it comes from anywhere in particular, so I’d suggest keeping it mono, even if it plays out of more then one speaker.

All this means that with a decent source, just about any synth can get you a great bass sound. But if you want a bass synth sound with attitude, it might be that you want richer elements that combine and can be heard above the lower ones to create a sound>>>> that’s a personal choice.

As to sub bass, my experience tells me that you need to think of the playback target. If someone listens on an iphone, it’s just a waste of headroom and won’t be heard. To be able to add near 20hz in my experience means you have to balance the range from 125 to 50 well or it doesn’t come across. And it’s also uncomfortable to the body in loud amounts after awhile. And it is difficult to hear actual notes down there.
I think the only real difference between a hardware synth and a software one would be the randomness of the sound, and I wonder if there is any value in that in determining the value of a sound source over another.

The waves lo-air and the dbx subharmonic synth are good at generating bass from a source that has little. And most of the time, I turn them off. ;)

For me the perfect synth bass depends on context - i.e. type of music, competing orchestration/instruments, etc. and as such I've used many - FM7, Sylenth by Lennard Digital, Minimoog emulators, IK Multimedia's Modo, Trillian and others.

Also it depends on the range that bass will be performing in on the song/composition. If the bass is only going to be playing within a limited range then who cares if the synth patch gets too thin or too muddy outside that range? As long as it kicks ass where it's needed.
Context is critical otherwise your request is as invalid as asking for a piccolo that can cover the entire audio range.

Last edited:
Europa by Reason. Don't overlook this one folks, it can produce hell of a lot of bass, and beautifully round too!

I've never heard better synth-basses than the ones derived from original (i.e. analog) Minimoogs. Apart from the appeal and weight they exhibit when listened to in solo, there is a certain dimensionality and grip to their sound that just stays "there" without using too much space in the mix at the same time.

... sorry that I can't provide a proper audio example, because I don't have access to one ATM (let alone owning one).

donjpwl80l9j8o86h0bm.jpg

For basses I often use Spire and Rob Papen's SubBoomBass 2 that produce what I want, but of course it's all a question of what kind of bass you are looking for...

I recently found out to my surprise that the standard oscillator combined with a resonant svf filter in Falcon makes my room shake like nothing else. It's not only extremely versatile, it makes heck of a lot of noise too! Goddamn love that synth to death more and more each day!

A question for all synth programmers: Which synth do you think produces the best bass?

I'm not using my Pulse II (Waldorf) that much, but each time i do i'm fascinated about the pressure it produces in the bass area. It's not a very charismatic synth, but an incredible bass monster.

A lot of spot-on comments in here about the variables of context, environment, and preference.
With that, my current personal favorites are u-he zebra (don't own it, but have had several "ooh, what is that bass sound!" moments listening to demos and often learned they were zebra/hz), with a very close second to Spectrasonics (which I do own, including, for a fun shout-out, patches from our own @Vin / midissonance).

I like my synth best..Original Moog 901's.....Dangerous Bastards that stay in tune for a minute at a time but oh what a minute !

Falling that a minimoog or Zebra

best

ed

Top Bottom