What's new

Which string library has the most realistic-sounding legato? (2021)

So you have the v1.1 update then?
B/c if not, then your advice is faulty.
Not necessarily. Some people dislike MSS in it's current form because of the way the legato scripting works, and for such people than v1.1 might make a difference.

Others dislike MSS simply because of the basic sound itself: they think the raw sound of the recordings sound artificial, apart from or before considering the way the notes stitch together with the scripting. For such people, an update that does not involve entirely new recordings of almost all non-short patches will remain unsatisfactory.

I don't know which group chapbot is in.

Not necessarily. Some people dislike MSS in it's current form because of the way the legato scripting works, and for such people than v1.1 might make a difference.

Others dislike MSS simply because of the basic sound itself: they think the raw sound of the recordings sound artificial, apart from or before considering the way the notes stitch together with the scripting. For such people, an update that does not involve entirely new recordings of almost all non-short patches will remain unsatisfactory.

I don't know which group chapbot is in.
Right but I don’t find that a convincing argument only because this isn’t a concrete edifice, but a sample library recorded with multiple dynamic levels from three mic positions. There is a *lot* that can be done to affect the out-of-the-box tone. AB has shown they’re willing to add what the user base wants, and that’s not a new or recent tendency on their part.
I’m just saying it might be wise to wait to find out what AB considers to be the final version.

Actually, for ensembles, I would still say LASS has the most REALISTIC-SOUNDING legato. It's bone dry (like real strings), very dynamic (like real strings), handles divisi properly (like real strings and unlike almost any library on the market), and sounds TERRIBLE if used badly (like real strings).

Afflatus is a lot more user-friendly and approachable if your patience for fiddliness is low. I also happen to think Metropolis Ark is very good for appealing, user-friendly legato.

PS, you didn't mention ensemble size. If you want something chamber-sounding, VSL Dimension is pretty much unbeatable ... for REALISM. But be prepared to work for it.

Con Moto and CSS are beautiful, but not realistic. I mean, PS even has it on the website ... *not for purists* ...

Long story short -- the troll talking about real strings had a point. Realism takes a lot of work and time.

But based on OP's specific needs, I think I would go with Afflatus, Metropolis Ark I, or VSL Orchestral Strings, personally.
Bone dry like real strings? My friend, that is not how instruments work.

If I'm not too late I'd say the absolute best is VSL Dimension, but you must perform all individual instruments separately! Only way I know to get a real "performance" feeling out of sample libraries....
Does anyone have examples of excellent Dimension Strings legato? I've had the library for years and tbh have never been satisfied with the legato for anything other than fast lines...

Con Moto and CSS are beautiful, but not realistic. I mean, PS even has it on the website ... *not for purists* ...
Arguing CSS is "not realistic" is plainly ridiculous. If your yardstick is that "real strings" are always "bone dry" then I guess you listen to instruments and music only in an anechoic chamber. In the real world you always deal with reflections. Any library recorded in a specific space is not unrealistic, quite the opposite. As for PS and Con Moto, "not for purists" doesn't mean what you think it does.

Yes, a 'not for purists' part refers to the baked-in noise in most PS libraries, be it some strange clicks, pops, players' coughs, giggles, wiggles, shuffles, chuckles, farts (occassionally), even whatsapp message notifications: all blended into beautiful string legato transitions that you get out of the box and need to live with. That's what keeps me away from PS libraries as I rarely find myself in the mood of paying some 300 bucks for that kind of natural vibes ( yes, I'm a 'purist' in that sense).

CSS is the only library that almost fooled me into thinking it was a live string section, the demo in question was very good. Although I can’t remember where I heard it.
But everyone has totally different tastes so you can’t really say one is objectively better than another. Everyone has different workflows and ways they approach arranging for the ensemble.

CSS is the only library that almost fooled me into thinking it was a live string section, the demo in question was very good. Although I can’t remember where I heard it.
Gotchu fam

And (actually I don't think this is the one I was thinking of)

Last edited:
Top Bottom