What's new

What's a good mic to record a nylon string guitar to blend in with strings and choir?

Looking to mess around with some of my virtual instrument and record some tracks.

I want to bring in an classical nylon guitar to blend in with some of my libraries (I play)

I will be using Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings and Strezov Sampling Freyja.

Right now I'm looking to buy a

Cordoba Iberia C7 CDIN Nylon String Acoustic Guitar​

But if I buy that guitar, what's a good mic to record it to mix in with some of my virtual instruments?

It's tough to answer without knowing your budget, but if you're looking for something more affordable for recording at home, any good small diaphragm condenser mic will work fine - either singly or in a pair depending on how you want to record. Check YouTube for videos on different methods of recording acoustic guitar.

I've used Audix ADX51 ($249), sE Electronics sE8 ($249), Neumann KM184 ($849) and MikTek C5 ($699) to record acoustic guitar and piano before with good results. Check some reviews - there are some great affordable choices out there.

Neumann KM84

best

e
But since you can't get the KM84 any longer (well, saw one for $3200 on eBay), the KM184 is the current offering. I just bought it 2 months ago for acoustic guitar, and I thought I liked my AKG C414 XLS, but the KM184 is IT.

Best price out there:

Also at Amazon, where I got mine. The picture looks odd like it's B-Stock or something, but it's sold by Neumann/Sennheiser and arrived as brand new stock:
Amazon product ASIN B000G0GX5K

But since you can't get the KM84 any longer (well, saw one for $3200 on eBay), the KM184 is the current offering. I just bought it 2 months ago for acoustic guitar, and I thought I liked my AKG C414 XLS, but the KM184 is IT.

Best price out there:

Also at Amazon, where I got mine. The picture looks odd like it's B-Stock or something, but it's sold by Neumann/Sennheiser and arrived as brand new stock:
Amazon product ASIN B000G0GX5K
I've used a C414 and KM84 in M-S config for a classical guitar/flute duo with nice results.

If 800 is your budget, then get a pair of the Warm Audio 84s. They're not a perfect match to the originals but based on listening they're perfectly useable, and the price is right.

If you have the guitar always play with the strings (so no solo part) I'd recommend a good large diaphragm condenser (like the Tlm 103) around 12th fret in mono (it's better for mixing). If you have solo passages I'd recommend stereo small condensers. Either 12th fret+beneath the bridge or standard AB if the room is good treated. You'll benefit from Km184 only, if they are your weakest hardware in the chain, meaning... Sommer Cable Epilogue or Monstercable (which are above 100bucks/1m) and a linear mic preamp in quality of RME and above (which are hard to find these days in cheap versions). Otherwise I would stick to cheaper small condensers with low noise floor and experiment little bit with mic or seating position.

I've used a C414 and KM84 in M-S config for a classical guitar/flute duo with nice results.
In his case with Spitfire strings I wouldn't recommend MS recording. Also, if you are not familiar with that technique it can lead to unpleasent results.

Looking to mess around with some of my virtual instrument and record some tracks.

I want to bring in an classical nylon guitar to blend in with some of my libraries (I play)

I will be using Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings and Strezov Sampling Freyja.

Right now I'm looking to buy a

Cordoba Iberia C7 CDIN Nylon String Acoustic Guitar​

But if I buy that guitar, what's a good mic to record it to mix in with some of my virtual instruments?
It will be a hard pain to match a solo guitar with these strings. They are really roomy. So that means, either you throw the recorded track to something like Cinematic Rooms, then it doesn't matter if you recorded it with Rode or Neumann, cause it all sounds washy and boomy. Or you try to use only the Spitfires close mics (which are roomy enough) but you'll have to glue all instruments together and then the fun starts.

Can I just get one? Or do I need two?
This is entirely subjective, but in my experience- one mic is preferable for a rhythm context, a pair will give you many more options for a solo guitar. You can obviously work with it (vocals are recorded mono) but you'll have to do some more work. I'd just get one of the WA84s and then if you want save up to get the second. Don't buy a cheapo and then eventually have to spend even more to get 2x of a new mic.

Your performance and technique are by far the most important parts of the recording equation. Next is the room you record in. Then the mic. Then the mic pre.

Stereo would be nice if the arrangement is sparse.

The denser the production, the less anything will matter.

Most important is how your room sounds. You performance can be great, but if your room sounds like shit, it'll sound like shit in a mix where the arrangement is sparse. If the arrangment is busy, then it'll help "cover up" the shittiness of the room sound.

Top Bottom