What sort of manuscript paper do you use? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'NOTATION Speak: Sibelius, Finale & Dorico' started by kevthurman, Feb 11, 2019.

1. kevthurman

kevthurman Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I'm looking to get a nicely bound book of manuscript paper for sketching my compositions. I've been using just printed out manuscript paper from one of those template sites but I want to get something more long-lasting and nice to use. I really prefer the landscape layout, like this:

But I wish it came in a slightly smaller size, closer to standard letter size. Anyone know of anything similar? I suppose I might as well ask, for those using this brand: how durable is it? The size concern is more a worry due to the fact that'll be hauling it around in a backpack every day and general wear and tear might be more severe on a larger book.

2. jonathanparham

jonathanparham Active Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    That's what I use when I'm going beyond 4 staves.

kevthurman likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    kevthurman

kevthurman Member

Dec 18, 2018
    There's also this, much smaller, still plenty of staves for my uses, but less information about this product line available.

4. studiostuff

studiostuff Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
  5. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    kevthurman likes this.
  6. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
    I just love good, heavy-duty yellow paper... It's like a starter pistol for me. :)

kevthurman likes this.
  7. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I like it too, and I'll use it again next time I write for live ensemble (which would be fun - it's been a very long time). But it's not worth spreading it out on my desk just for scribbling to work things out.

8. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
    Yep. Totally agree...

I use Finale and MIDI when scribbling, just for the rare instance when something I play is actually useful.

9. MatthewHarnage

MatthewHarnage New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    I use this:

It's the best manuscript I've found for the price. Yellow and with sturdy paper so its easy to erase on. I'd recommend if especially for sketching 2-6 instrument stuff.

kevthurman likes this.
  10. d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    studiostuff likes this.
  11. jonathanparham

jonathanparham Active Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    d.healey likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    kevthurman

kevthurman Member

Dec 18, 2018
  13. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    One of my pads is three staves of 4 lines x 8 bars, but the spiral binding is a nice touch.

kevthurman likes this.
  14. mikeh-375

mikeh-375 old school

Feb 8, 2016
    Earth
    I'm with @d.healey on this. Go custom, not only can you stipulate the size, but can choose nice quality of paper and do a big print run that'll probably work out cheaper over time.
    I simply made a template in Sibelius, exported a pdf and took it to a printer. Fwiw, my ms has 38 staves and is bloody enormous (60X42cm) but I write direct to score and don't have to lug it around. If you do go custom, I recommend a heavier weight of paper especially if you use a rubber the way I do (not a euphemism:rofl:).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    kevthurman likes this.