What's new

What exactly is harmony?

Rowy van Hest

Music harmony refers to the way that individual sounds or notes are combined to create a sense of unity and tension in a piece of music. Harmony can involve the simultaneous sounding of multiple notes, called chords, or the sounding of a single note in succession, called a melody. The study of harmony in music typically includes the analysis and understanding of chords, chord progressions, and harmonic functions. In Western music, harmony is often based on the use of scales and chords built from the notes of those scales. Harmony can also be used to create a sense of tension and release in a piece of music, and can help to convey a specific emotion or mood.

This ChatGPT sure is impressive. I guess I retired just in time as a music teacher.

No offense, but is that a good thing? Might as well throw out all our books, close our schools, and just get the app..I don't get the need for AI..it sucks up all human knowledge, spits it back out, and we're in awe..amusing, but frankly I'm not impressed.

Last edited:
It's writing style is quite distinctive I find. In a way that's fairly robotic and lacks humanity. It sort of reads like how my 12 year old writes essays, all the facts are there, good Grammar, and yet the piece as a whole doesn't convince. Sort of feels like a Korean speed writing English copy for a spammy trash news website. Nothing wrong with it, just not inspired or arresting.

Resistance is futile.

I hate our A.I. future, and consider it the end of all human creativity (because it really is). I also know, having seen a version of this rodeo before, that it's an exercise in futility to stop it. We can hate it, but it's unstoppable. The flaws mentioned above will all be fixed in short order. And there won't be much, if any, need for humans. Except....

....for manual labor! That's the good news! Robots are expensive and difficult to maintain, so humans will always be cheaper for the purposes of manual labor. Let us all look forward to our bright manual labor future!

The call is coming from inside the house. Remember when digital filmmaking could never replace 35mm? It's a done deal.

For those getting tired of hearing about ChatGPT, don't worry. The talk will disappear once the tech is endemic. Yayyyyyyyy.

Music harmony refers to the way that individual sounds or notes are combined to create a sense of unity and tension in a piece of music. Harmony can involve the simultaneous sounding of multiple notes, called chords, or the sounding of a single note in succession, called a melody. The study of harmony in music typically includes the analysis and understanding of chords, chord progressions, and harmonic functions. In Western music, harmony is often based on the use of scales and chords built from the notes of those scales. Harmony can also be used to create a sense of tension and release in a piece of music, and can help to convey a specific emotion or mood.

This ChatGPT sure is impressive. I guess I retired just in time as a music teacher.
Just enough truth to be convincing. Just enough lies to make it seem like an overly pretentious school teacher that doesn't really know what he/she/they/them know what they are talking about.
Well, I asked:

1674755981703.png

Maybe it's just me, but this feels a bit wishy washy.
It's actually real frightening. First Wiki where anybody can put what they want and call it an online encyclopedia of "knowledge" and now I fear people will be trying to get "knowledge" from a computer that can generate its only interpretation of "knowledge".

My wife works at a university and a student was already busted for turning in an AI generated essay and trying to pass it off as his own.

If this keeps up there will be whole libraries of AI generate false information that people will think is true.

If humanity had an ounce of self-preservation, A.I would be shut down and banned under penalty of death. Unfortunately, we instead have an immutable, worshipful attraction to new technology. Even the kind that represents a shotgun to all of our brains.

a student was already busted for turning in an AI generated essay and trying to pass it off as his own.
Yesterday I read that Chat just passed an exam for MBA at Wharton. I can’t remember the current version but they seem to be updating frequently.

And today it was announced that BuzzFeed will start using Chat’s developers to create content (Link)

If humanity had an ounce of self-preservation, A.I would be shut down and banned under penalty of death. Unfortunately, we instead have an immutable, worshipful attraction to new technology. Even the kind that represents a shotgun to all of our brains.
It is so true. Now we'll have to distinguish between human knowledge and machine generated garbage that so close to human knowledge that most people won't be able to tell the difference.

This actually frightens me.

I don't know guys, I suspect most of the stuff we're talking about automating is.... this kind of stuff

1674760108177.png

It was only a matter of time before that kind of stuff got automated.

We are all enterprise software managers now, in that sense. If the thing you do is drudgery, if you don't add value by being human -- whether you're a musician, a writer, a painter, a teacher, or a counselor, you can be automated out of a job.

Right now, really, without any AI to help.

But I am unconvinced that the frontiers of creativity will be automated. E.g.:

1674760200604.png

Of course...if you're talking about generating the next Marvel or Star Wars script, even money weather that gets automated.

IDK, I could be wrong.

Source: https://theoatmeal.com/comics/making_things

I don't know guys, I suspect most of the stuff we're talking about automating is.... this kind of stuff

1674760108177.png

It was only a matter of time before that kind of stuff got automated.

We are all enterprise software managers now, in that sense. If the thing you do is drudgery, if you don't add value by being human -- whether you're a musician, a writer, a painter, a teacher, or a counselor, you can be automated out of a job.

Right now, really, without any AI to help.

But I am unconvinced that the frontiers of creativity will be automated. E.g.:

1674760200604.png

Of course...if you're talking about generating the next Marvel or Star Wars script, even money weather that gets automated.

IDK, I could be wrong.

Source: https://theoatmeal.com/comics/making_things
Currently? Yes.

In 5-10 years? A.I. will be able to outdo human creativity in the flash of a nanosecond. This is definitely more than just the word processor replacing typewriters. This is the word processor replacing the highly-creative author.

Currently? Yes.

In 5-10 years? A.I. will be able to outdo human creativity in the flash of a nanosecond. This is definitely more than just the word processor replacing typewriters. This is the word processor replacing the highly-creative author.
Perhaps.

I think average NYT bestseller authors will be endangered.

There's always room for the superlative or inventive. I do not see evidence that AI can hit that.

As somebody who’s day job is AI, hence totally biased, I really think AI is just a tool. It’s just another invention just like the abacus, the printer, the calculator or the computer. Did they kill creativity? No, they enabled new types of creativity.

Top Bottom