What's new

What do you think of Bruno Mars' newest single?

That was terrible. Please don't make me listen to it again.

Technically an A+.

F- for making a song where everyone smiles through the whole thing.

It's so darn smooth is lacks something.

Like I prefer music like that from the 60's or 70's because it wasn't perfect sounding and maybe had a little grit or rawness in the niceness.

The first version of the Matrix failed for the very same reason.

That was terrible. Please don't make me listen to it again.

Technically an A+.

F- for making a song where everyone smiles through the whole thing.

It's so darn smooth is lacks something.

Like I prefer music like that from the 60's or 70's because it wasn't perfect sounding and maybe had a little grit or rawness in the niceness.

The first version of the Matrix failed for the very same reason.
Haha! Love it.

Fair enough! Nothing innovative or new, that's for sure. I think it gives many a nostalgic feel, hence the popularity.
I mean it’s obviously high quality production and he knows his genres well, but after a few albums of era jumping and providing nothing new or original...I find myself questioning where to put value on this nostalgia. They’re great songs in structure but not superior to songs he’s channeling so thoroughly. Impressive when compared to some of his contemporary rivals, but in greater context, maybe forgettable?

I mean it’s obviously high quality production and he knows his genres well, but after a few albums of era jumping and providing nothing new or original...I find myself questioning where to put value on this nostalgia. They’re great songs in structure but not superior to songs he’s channeling so thoroughly. Impressive when compared to some of his contemporary rivals, but in greater context, maybe forgettable?
The melody's not the catchiest for me, but I enjoy the harmonic exploration more than anything. :) Looking forward to the rest of the album!

Does everything right, with a few unexpected twists. Perfect in execution, but (for me) utterly uninteresting to listen to. That's not to knock 'em. There's real talent there, f'sure.

The only other Bruno mars track I've heard is 'Locked out of heaven', which is an effin' stonkin' track, that never fails to get me a-boppin' :elephant::elephant:

Does everything right, with a few unexpected twists. Perfect in execution, but (for me) utterly uninteresting to listen to. That's not to knock 'em. There's real talent there, f'sure.

The only other Bruno mars track I've heard is 'Locked out of heaven', which is an effin' stonkin' track, that never fails to get me a-boppin' :elephant::elephant:
'That's What I Like' is also another fav of mine. So good!

Technically flawless by modern measurements... but not endearing at all. It is the modern music dilemma in my mind, and is probably what the “too smooth“ comments are about. Imperfections are what give songs their character. Quirky choices during analog recordings with unsquashed dynamics give it a soul, a personality. I also don’t think there is a memorable hook in this song and I have no desire to listen to it again. That said, he’s an incredibly talented dude and executed this song’s production flawlessly.

'That's What I Like' is also another fav of mine. So good!
Just checked it out. Musicality it's on point, and I seem to enjoy his voice as an instrument. But the lyrics are just banal nonsense (actually think that was what i found most annoying about the first track posted).

Of course, it's not uncommon for popular music to be lyrically lacking, or for pop stars to be so egotistical to be able to sing such nonsense. But there is definitely a mismatch between the musicality and the song/lyrical themes. Perhaps he might try going back to the drawing-board, or maybe start working with a better lyricist.

Of course, I like my fair share of songs with vapid lyrics so not gonna hold it against you Chris :emoji_pray:
------
------

Last edited:
There are real instruments, beautifully recorded and produced... The mix is awesome!

But sorry, sorry, sorry! I'm such a negative creep....I am aware...so:

Nice very well executed reverse engineering production exercise.
The current mainstream pop musical landscape apparently is so poor that a talented and super famous singer has to replicate (completely, not just take inspiration from) past eras to do anything remotely interesting.

And, the video represents this phony-ness in such and exemplary way.
Realism is the last important element in a music video, but these guys crammed together in a "real studio" are looking like an episode of a Fallon toy orchestra sketch....

The most symbolic element in the video has to be the fake 70s ashtray with fake cigarette butts....
Amazing!

Apologies again for any bad vibes....

Top Bottom