What's new

Walton - Symphony 1 - VSL Synchron - Cubase Project

JBacal

Several people on VSL's YouTube channel commented that they would like access to the Cubase file for my performance of William Walton's Symphony No. 1 fourth movement. So here it is :):

Here is the 24bit audio mastered by Bernd Mazagg:

Finally, here is the video with a visualization by Stephen Malinowski:

Best wishes
Jay

Last edited:
Several people on VSL's YouTube channel commented that they would like access to the Cubase file for my performance of William Walton's Symphony No. 1 fourth movement. So here it is :):

Here is the 24bit audio mastered by Bernd Mazagg:

Finally, here is the video with a visualization my Stephen Malinowski:

Best wishes
Jay

Man, that's about as good as it can get. I have SynStrPro but this makes is so now I have to get the other sections too.

I've been comparing this to a live recording of the last movement done by The London Philharmonic and though London has a bit more emotion and life behind it, your midi version is pretty damn close. Frightening how far libraries have come in the last 20 years.

Thanks @José Herring for taking the time to listen and for your encouraging remarks. I suspect that real orchestras will always have more “life” and personality. But today’s libraries seem to be able to simulate many of the musical “broad strokes.”

Even if mockups of the classical repertoire are always a losing game, there's something in the effort that I find truly irresistible (especially if it's done as masterfully as you use to do it, of course).

I guess suffice to say that your classical mockups and tutorials were one of the main reasons why I invested my money in VSL when I started my journey with virtual instruments many years ago. The knowledge of the libraries and the level of musicality you bring to your mockups are nothing but exceptional.

Thanks for sharing this Walton. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to your next one.

A few years ago we could only hope to make them for two pianos!
So true... and now that you say it, maybe I just love losing games, because I even use to play them in concert (and not even for two pianos, but piano four hands... Man, I've just realized I'm loser :laugh:)

But now, seriously, I think I see these mockups mainly as a labor of love (doesn't matter whether it's a paid job or not).

I still vividly remember going over the fourth movement when I was a student. The prof stuck the score in front of myself and another student and we had to sightread (hack) our way through it in front of the class. That was fun.

Amazing symphony.

Even if mockups of the classical repertoire are always a losing game, there's something in the effort that I find truly irresistible (especially if it's done as masterfully as you use to do it, of course).

I guess suffice to say that your classical mockups and tutorials were one of the main reasons why I invested my money in VSL when I started my journey with virtual instruments many years ago. The knowledge of the libraries and the level of musicality you bring to your mockups are nothing but exceptional.

Thanks for sharing this Walton. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to your next one.
It’s a new way of copying and studying scores. Even in losing badly you win considerable knowledge.

It’s a new way of copying and studying scores. Even in losing badly you win considerable knowledge.
Absolutely. It's like writing a fugue in the style of Bach, playing chess against Bobby Fischer, tennis against Nadal... No better way to learn than aiming at the impossible (and also a privilege and lot of fun).

Btw, since we talk about learning, those animations by Malinowski are also invaluable learning tools if you know (or are guided to) what to look at. Great choice for sharing this mockup!

Top Bottom