What's new

VSL Elite Strings vs SCS

IMO

Because
1. This excerpt does not a good job of representing the main focus of both libraries, in practice most
ect...
Much better, thank you.
I will admit to having a different idea on demoing.
With the excerpt from Peter Boyer (Amazing piece btw) I'm not showing what the library is meant to do, but rather, exposing its sounds and simulating how it handles repertoire, even if it's unlikely to play it.
Musically off of course, but with enough musicality one can even make the most ancient and dated of VSTs sound fantastic, so I will disagree there.

It's much like...that time Cinematic Studio Strings was put through Beethoven 5th.
Hilarious to do so and definitely not meant to do that, but it was great to show the sonic qualities and versatility.
Also don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore both of these libraries, it was just my mindset that the differences would be super apparent in sonic quality and style. Will be hanging in this thread and will hammer out anything anyone needs are far as demos go :)

How's the strongest vibrato layer of SCS against Elite Strings? I am still waiting to hope to hear an example of a soaring line of Elite Strings with max vibrato to hear how it sounds.

How's the strongest vibrato layer of SCS against Elite Strings? I am still waiting to hope to hear an example of a soaring line of Elite Strings with max vibrato to hear how it sounds.
Went ahead and quickly hammered out the lick from the below video in SCS so you can hear how the molto vib layer punches through.

And here's the SCS version quickly hammered out by myself, no CCs touched.
It's a nice comparison we have here, because in my ears, I can really confirm that Elites Molto Vib is much more reserved, low frequency, but has a "neutral" sound. You sacrifice style, but get less harshness and more clarity, so either way you get some nice vibrato out of these :)

A note for sound however, with more midi editing one can easily get the sound of SCS to be more aggressive than in this...just a heads up.

Attachments

• SCSLick.mp3
    342.3 KB
I own both Elite and SCS, I’d say Elite really set the standard of what chamber sized string should be like. With VSL’s Synchron Player, you can really create any presets that tailored to your workflow.

Sound wise I’m much preferred Elite over SCS, the multi mics of Elite open the endless possibilities to sculpture the sound, from lush to intimate.

And of course there’s no doubt regarding the superd playability of VSL libraries.
Have to agree. I'm hearing a sound in Elite that I have not heard out of any sample library to date. And, VSL has elevated scripting to an art form.

Elite is def more high quality in sound, but it makes sense considering it's what I consider one of the first
"new gen" libraries, where we're basically starting to approaching absurd detail in the samples.

Elite is def more high quality in sound, but it makes sense considering it's what I consider one of the first
"new gen" libraries, where we're basically starting to approaching absurd detail in the samples.
It seems to me there are lots of "new" libraries coming out all the time, but not all developers are figuring out new things to do, or are they raising the bar. We're kind of at a point where the technology is somewhat mature. We've had good libraries/tools to work with for some time now. I'm at a point now where I've got so many libraries, I look for reasons to talk myself out of buying new ones. Everyone's mileage may vary, but the sound of Elite really impressed me. I really like the warmth, presence and the depth of resonance. I can really hear those wooden instrument bodies vibrating. For VSL, I also think it's an interesting contrast to their Dimension Strings, which I've always liked, but thought they were on the bright side of the scale (which is certainly useful in the right context).

imho. VSL Synchron Elite Strings is the best sounding VSL Strings Library at this time, and It sounds much better than VSL Chamber Stings, and Spitfire Chamber Strings.
Hi, any chance you could show us a short example comparison between VSL Chamber strings and Elite? Or at least talk a bit more about your impressions about it? I do have the VSL Chamber strings, trying to decide about Elite...

It seems to me there are lots of "new" libraries coming out all the time, but not all developers are figuring out new things to do, or are they raising the bar. We're kind of at a point where the technology is somewhat mature. We've had good libraries/tools to work with for some time now. I'm at a point now where I've got so many libraries, I look for reasons to talk myself out of buying new ones. Everyone's mileage may vary, but the sound of Elite really impressed me. I really like the warmth, presence and the depth of resonance. I can really hear those wooden instrument bodies vibrating. For VSL, I also think it's an interesting contrast to their Dimension Strings, which I've always liked, but thought they were on the bright side of the scale (which is certainly useful in the right context).
I use a lot Synchronized DS Strings to beef up other VSL Synchron Strings or Note performer 3 Audio exported and that the best Strings Library I ever found for this task, whatsoever working with the Synchron Player with whole released Synchron Strings, I and Pro makes me happy, surely will I add the elite strings to the VSL palette.

What about some music @ all the library owners? I'm still missing a real walkthrough, especially for the legatos. :sad:
I think Elite has that “responsive” legato you don’t prefer, where the transitions happen almost instantly. I’m not doing another MSS with Elite! :rofl:

I think it’s got great sound. I also hear the criticisms of the legato for “romantic” passages, where it becomes a little challenge to connect all of the intervals into a phrase the way a musician would, but I still am glad I have Elite.

I think Elite has that “responsive” legato you don’t prefer, where the transitions happen almost instantly. I’m not doing another MSS with Elite! :rofl:
I have no problem with this, I'm an absolute VSL fanboy and have nearly everything from their catalogue. Prefer VI libraries though. Think it's still the best legato.

sorry to bring that thread back up... just a question :)

After a few days into SCS I felt so happy (that doesnt happen too often after a library purchase - but this library is pure gold! ), so I decided to upgrade to SCS Professional for these extra $180.- ..

The question: since I installed already SCS, do I need to install the full 235 GB from the Pro download over the existing SCS installation or do I need to delete SCS first because these 235GB is all mics and mixes included (and I would have double up if I leave SCS on the SSD) ? .. is there a way to only download and install the missing mics and mixes?

EDIT: ok.. sorted .. a view in the Spitfire download manager helped :P

Last edited:
Top Bottom