What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

See above.

tl;dr - they're not turning off the server in seven weeks (well, not on purpose at any rate). Your dongle will be unaffected in any case.
Thanks, i know nothing about how the dongle system works - as I think is obvious from my posts!
Cheers

lol I'm serious, but perhaps didn't explain myself vey well! :unsure:

Just a bit concerned that while Steinberg seem to have set a date for the discontinuation, VSL haven't AFAIK set a date for the ilok move, so just concerned there could be a gap where I can't access my VSL products if VSL ilok hasn't kicked in before the disontinuation date?
The e-licenser will work until it dies, so it really isn't a problem. They aren't so much removing it as adding a new iLok license. Where it will be a problem is if they don't get it changed over before Steinberg shuts the e-licenser down, they can't license new products.

Edit: oops, guess someone else answered this already.

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered.

In order to switch to iLok, will we have re-download all of our VSL content? For me, that's about 1.1 terabytes. My internet connection is 8Mb/s, unless I can download everything at a different location and move it to my studio by sneakernet.

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered.

In order to switch to iLok, will we have re-download all of our VSL content? For me, that's about 1.1 terabytes. My internet connection is 8Mb/s, unless I can download everything to a different location and move it to my studio by sneakernet.
Yes. You will also be able to download everything to a different system and install it on your machine later.
I guess we will also offer harddrives with the installation data on it.

Yes. You will also be able to download everything to a different system and install it on your machine later.
I guess we will also offer harddrives with the installation data on it.
Are you sure you answered that question correctly? Why would we need to re-download everything, simply for a licence transfer?

Are you sure you answered that question correctly? Why would we need to re-download everything, simply for a licence transfer?
Short answer: technical reasons.
But we are working on a download assistent that will handle this procedure, you will just need to log in and select the libraries you want to install.

Only way I’d ever consider buying into the VSL ecosystem. Single activation licenses are for dinosaurs and greedy fossils.
Tell that to Steinberg regarding Cubase. Had to buy a second Pro license for my laptop. I do miss Studio One's licensing model... username and a password, you get FIVE INSTALLS and you can manage them on the website within your account... deactivate whatever you need, etc. Zero risk when a hard drive decides to become a door stop. Not sure why we even need iLok, but it's an improvement. My entire EW library has been easy peazy to manage with iLok online, no need of a dongle.

Sorry, got off track. BEN! TWO Licenses!! Pass it on! ;)

But we are working on a download assistent that will handle this procedure, you will just need to log in and select the libraries you want to install.
Does it still use torrent-base? I sadly have a VSL downloader not working in my company.
I'm downloading it at home and moving it to an external hard drive.

Does it still use torrent-base? I sadly have a VSL downloader not working in my company.
I'm downloading it at home and moving it to an external hard drive.
Yes. Overall it's the best way to distribute these amounts of data globally.

Tell that to Steinberg regarding Cubase. Had to buy a second Pro license for my laptop.

Posted by Steinberg yesterday… 3 activations and no more need to phone home. :2thumbs:

December 15, 2021: Updated licensing terms on “Online Activation”:​

Based on the feedback we received from our customers, we have decided to make changes to our initial concept. First, instead of reconnecting to the internet within 30 days, once your software has been activated on your computer, it won’t need to contact our Steinberg Licensing server again for the purposes of activation. Second, we have decided to increase the maximum number of activations from two to three computers per single-user license.

Posted by Steinberg yesterday… 3 activations and no more need to phone home. :2thumbs:

tenor.gif

Tell that to Steinberg regarding Cubase. Had to buy a second Pro license for my laptop. I do miss Studio One's licensing model... username and a password, you get FIVE INSTALLS and you can manage them on the website within your account... deactivate whatever you need, etc. Zero risk when a hard drive decides to become a door stop. Not sure why we even need iLok, but it's an improvement. My entire EW library has been easy peazy to manage with iLok online, no need of a dongle.

Just heard that Steinberg have listened to their users, and the new licensing system will give three activations, and no requirement to be online every month as previously planned….

Top Bottom