What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

You know, now that VSL has announced this move, the bi-annual VSL calling each other names thread will become defunct.

We’re going to have to find another subject to beat each other over the head with. We cannot just argue about Spitfire alone......

Funny that VSL got roundly criticised for their insurance policy for the e-licencer, but I never heard anything mentioned about ZDT and ELC even thought the cost was the same.....
I can't speak for anyone else but my objection to their policy was that, if your laptop is stolen with the dongle in the bag, your only recourse is to buy all your VSL licenses again (at a 'generous' 50% discount). This would cost thousands for me, for what is essentially a simple electronic replacement.

Yes I understand that, if their policy wasn't quite so draconian, there is a possibility that some may abuse the system, but it should really fall on VSL to come up with a better way of protecting their products that isn't so punishing to legitimate customers. I don't know of any other vendor that has such a customer-hostile policy in place. Hopefully this changes with the move to iLok.

I had the same view, but when the insurance policy that replaced all your products at no additional cost became available, then VSL became viable for me. Prior to that, the only product I owned was VEPro....

edit: I have a strong suspicion that if VSL handle this transition to ilok well, then they will win over many new customers who have previously held back. (Of course they’ll probably do something annoying.)

Two Questions regarding ilok if someone can help:

1. If you go Ilok "Cloud Authorization" how many computers can you authorize?

2. If you go Ilok dongle and the dongle breaks or you lose it what happens?
Thanks!
Dave

I only had two effects plugins that I used with iLok Cloud - however, I recently purchased the iLok 3 in anticipation pf making some purchases from VSL once they switch to iLok -- while I realize I could purchase VSL and store the license in iLok Cloud, I decided to purchase the iLok 3 dongle as, inside my Mac Pro there is a "hidden" USB-A slot inside the machine. As such, I opened up my Mac Pro and, upon wondering how all the dust got in there despite Apple claiming no filter was needed as the fans were powerful enough to prevent dust buildup, had a most satisfying two minutes blowing compressed air at all the dust - so, one benefit of installing the dongle inside my machine was that I know have a dust free Mac Pro (well, at least until it builds up again)

I decided to purchase the iLok 3 dongle as, inside my Mac Pro there is a "hidden" USB-A slot inside the machine. As such, I opened up my Mac Pro and, upon wondering how all the dust got in there despite Apple claiming no filter was needed as the fans were powerful enough to prevent dust buildup,
There is a tiny dual USB adapter I purchased to be used in that hidden slot. That way I manage to have both ilok and syncrosoft key hidden (I think I stole that from Neil Parfitt) :)

regarding the dust, I opened the Mac after almost a year and not even a dust particle in there. I was surprised actually when you mentioned there was dust.

Last edited:
There is a tiny dual USB adapter I purchased to be used in that hidden slot. That way I manage to have both ilok and syncrosoft key hidden (I thing I stole that from Neil Purfitt) :)

regarding the dust, I opened the Mac after almost a year and not even a dust particle in there. I was surprised actually when you mentioned there was dust.
I also got that tip from Neil's video

Yeah I was shocked there was so much dust - perhaps I should go in once a month and open it up - but, that means unplugging everything in order to open the case as I have the tower, not the rack version

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I'm wondering why host-based authorization isn't an option. I don't use dongles out of principle but Cloud is unreliable due to semi-frequent outages (project crashes and becomes impossible to open without disabling all FX)

I really want to dabble with VSL....but that website gives me anxiety....I just don’t know where to start...😫
Well, watching some videos! Sometime (...well even often... LOL ) they are a bit funny, but anyway always pretty informative.

I really want to dabble with VSL....but that website gives me anxiety....I just don’t know where to start...😫
Walk away from the VSL. We can't have you breaking your sobriety, um, I mean buying libraries. The rest of us will lose all hope it is possible.

psst...the Special Editions are a great place to start. But you didn't hear that from me. ....

Walk away from the VSL. We can't have you breaking your sobriety, um, I mean buying libraries. The rest of us will lose all hope it is possible.

psst...the Special Editions are a great place to start. But you didn't hear that from me. ....
I made the dabble mistake. My wallet has now disowned me.

[..]Yes I understand that, if their policy wasn't quite so draconian, there is a possibility that some may abuse the system[..]
That is simply not true!
Audioappz, warez, crack teams do not care about any dongles or other kind of software protection. They just deliver the software you want, sometimes even before release date.
It is us plain customers who have to pay for additional costs and other resources or issues regarding those (imho absolute sensless) protections. It is the same like sitting at the flicks or at home watching a movie you bought: You have to watch commercials you have to watch teasers and on top of that you have to read or listen to: “You are not allowed to copy the movie, record it or use your cam or whatsoever!!!” WTF? I did not copy the movie I bought it! Why do you bother me? Bully the people who copy movies - please!
People who watch copied movies do not have to watch commercials, teasers and especially they do not have to watch the requests "Do not copy the movie...! They have a fine high quality copy of a movie without any indoctrination and can enjoy it from the beginning untill the end.
People who use cracked software do not have to invest additional money or other resources like additional installations and additional trouble shooting and additional research in how can I protect my investment when it is lost and so on.

[..]but it should really fall on VSL to come up with a better way of protecting their products that isn't so punishing to legitimate customers.[..]
This is true!
But still: Imho dongle protection is senseless regarding protection. It makes sense regarding marketing because it is an efficient way to earn more money.

[..]I don't know of any other vendor that has such a customer-hostile policy in place[..]
I love VSL products, but this is regrettably true also!
The hope remains for a successful resolution :)

I agree that dongles are a waste of time considering how easy the crackers remove the protection.

WRAPWARDEN/iLOK, FUSiON/iLOK, METAFORTRESS all just fun and games for the crackers.

I would argue that sales would actually go up for legit licences if developers removed the Ilok.

am using iLok Cloud for my Seventh Heaven License. Yes, this means that you need internet access (at least when you open the project) but I have had some moments when my internet connection would fail and I could still work for some time (I
you only need interne when you are registering a product once the product has been registered you cant turn your internet off its not needed

you only need interne when you are registering a product once the product has been registered you cant turn your internet off its not needed

Afaik this depends on the product (I'm not sure though).

Anyways, I've worked on a project and at some point (after already working on the project for some time) the connection would fail. After some time I would get problems and couldn't resume working (and I didn't open any new plugin or something like that). So at least with some plugins, you really need the connection - not only when you start-up the project or load the plugin.

Top Bottom