What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

I guess Eastwest ILOK was machine based, so I wonder if anyone here has any experience with Eastwest as to what they did when their computer fried.
Not true. You have the option of using the dongle or machine licenses (I have a combination of both). A colleague had to have his machine licenses reset, and EW did it the same day via EW chat support.

Not true. You have the option of using the dongle or machine licenses (I have a combination of both). A colleague had to have his machine licenses reset, and EW did it the same day via EW chat support.
Ok. I didn't have an ILOK dongle with my CC Plus subscription so mine would have been machine based. I did not know you could do both. Sounds like a good insurance policy.

I wonder if VSL will do this.

Edit: Or are you saying you had some licenses on dongle and some on the machine? In that case....back to square one.

Ok. I didn't have an ILOK dongle with my CC Plus subscription so mine would have been machine based. I did not know you could do both. Sounds like a good insurance policy.

I sure hope so! Their elicenser policy is what deterred me for so long. My credit card will soon hate me.

Edit: Or are you saying you had some licenses on dongle and some on the machine? In that case....back to square one.
Sounds like VSL is Dongle or Cloud only at this point.

So I'm trying to understand this best I can.

As of right now with VSL upcoming ILOK policy, its either:

1. ILOK Cloud which will stop your libraries from working anytime your internet connection goes down, or
2. Another dongle which isn't much different than an elicenser.

Unless I'm missing something..........

Yup, I was never on CC, but my EW licenses allow activation on either dongle or machine.

Good to hear accounts from @Jeremy Spencer and @Shredoverdrive on EW's quick resolution in case it is ever necessary.

I have licenses across 10-15 or so developers, so I would never go the machine-license route personally. The thought of having to coordinate getting replacements in the event of HD or computer failure scares me!

Btw, you can see which options each developer supports from the iLok license manager very easily, the symbols on the left indicate respectively: dongle gen2+, dongle gen 1, machine, cloud. Each developer does it differently (but all offer the dongle). As an aside, I wish all developers would show those 4 icons whenever they state they're on iLok. Would make it super easy interpret with minimal confusion what the activation options are.

ilok.JPG

So I'm trying to understand this best I can.

As of right now with VSL upcoming ILOK policy, its either:

1. ILOK Cloud which will stop your libraries from working anytime your internet connection goes down, or
2. Another dongle which isn't much different than an elicenser.

Unless I'm missing something..........
Well, with the elicenser version, if you didn't have the VSL insurance policy, you were hooped if anything happened to the dongle. Without he insurance, you needed to buy the licenses again (although I think some circumstances allowed a certain discount). So if you had $3000 worth of VSL libraries on that dongle, and someone steals it, you're out another $3000 without the insurance (or portion of).

With iLok, you don't need to re-purchase the licenses again if something happens to the dongle or your machine.

Yup, I was never on CC, but my EW licenses allow activation on either dongle or machine.

Good to hear accounts from @Jeremy Spencer and @Shredoverdrive on EW's quick resolution in case it is ever necessary.

I have licenses across 10-15 or so developers, so I would never go the machine-license route personally. The thought of having to coordinate getting replacements in the event of HD or computer failure scares me!

Btw, you can see which options each developer supports from the iLok license manager very easily, the symbols on the left indicate respectively: dongle gen2+, dongle gen 1, machine, cloud. Each developer does it differently (but all offer the dongle). As an aside, I wish all developers would show those 4 icons whenever they state they're on iLok. Would make it super easy interpret with minimal confusion what the activation options are.

ilok.JPG
Is that showing that Ozone 9 Advanced is not available for machine license? I have my copy on machine license.

With iLok, you don't need to re-purchase the licenses again if something happens to the dongle or your machine.
Maybe I missed it, but did VSL confirm they will be doing this. Also what is it that makes the ILOK dongle different from the Elicenser that we would get our licenses back for free?

Well, with the elicenser version, if you didn't have the VSL insurance policy, you were hooped if anything happened to the dongle. Without he insurance, you needed to buy the licenses again (although I think some circumstances allowed a certain discount). So if you had $3000 worth of VSL libraries on that dongle, and someone steals it, you're out another $3000 without the insurance (or portion of).

This is exactly the big advantage from my perspective.

It certianly helps make VSL products feel more accessible for me as everything is all under one ecosystem that I have relative peace-of-mind over with ZDT/TLC. I didn't own enough VSL products to justify their separate insurance policy, but I'm already paying ZDT anyway. I guess if you aren't on the iLok ecosystem at all, the always-connected option may not feel like a great compromise. I do feel like it is a step forward though.

Will also echo the sentiments earlier about the license management / transfer processes being a lot less painful in iLok vs elicenser.

Is that showing that Ozone 9 Advanced is not available for machine license? I have my copy on machine license.
Good catch! I think if you go through the izotope portal, you can do a machine license/activation. That's actually what I've done (just checked). It looks like izotope just handles the machine activations themselves through their own app, not through iLok (so iLok only shows dongle option available).

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but did VSL confirm they will be doing this. Also what is it that makes the ILOK dongle different from the Elicenser that we would get our licenses back for free?
I don't believe they confirmed.
But I will be interested to see how that plays out between VSL & Pace, since in their terms they don't seem to exclude any developers if you're covered with ZDT.

I don't believe they confirmed.
But I will be interested to see how that plays out between VSL & Pace, since in their terms they don't seem to exclude any developers if you're covered with ZDT.

Just to be clear, my understanding is that ZDT just gives you 14-day temporary licenses in the event of your dongle failing/breaking/being lost/stolen so you can continue working without delays.

You still need to purchase or have a spare iLok to download those temporary licenses and the onus is still on you to actually reach out to each developer to get permenant replacement licenses. Then it's up to each developer to decide on whether to offer those replacements and under what terms on a case-by-case basis. If the donge was just broken or died, I think you can also just mail it in within that 14 days and if iLok can recover the licenses, you wouldn't need to go through the hassle of contacting developers.

There is an additional service called TLC that is included when you purchase ZDT, but you have to explicitly turn it 'on' for your iLok in the license manager. That will convert all your licenses on the dongle to temporary 3-month licenses (what I described in my earlier post). With this enabled, you don't have to reach out to any developers, mail anything in, etc. and iLok will just give you permenant replacement licenses within a few days (you still need to have or purchase a new iLok though).

I would assume if VSL is on iLok, all this would apply for them too.

It's not perfect, but TLC enabled is the way to go IMO.

ilok.JPG

Last edited:
Just to be clear, my understanding is that ZDT just gives you 14-day temporary licenses in the event of your dongle failing/breaking/being lost/stolen so you can continue working without delays.

You still need to purchase or have a spare iLok to download those temporary licenses and the onus is still on you to actually reach out to each developer to get permenant replacement licenses. Then it's up to each developer to decide on whether to offer those replacements and under what terms on a case-by-case basis. If the donge was just broken or died, I think you can also just mail it in within that 14 days and if iLok can recover the licenses, you wouldn't need to go through the hassle of contacting developers.

There is an additional service called TLC that is included when you purchase ZDT, but you have to explicitly turn it 'on' for your iLok in the license manager. That will convert all your licenses on the dongle to temporary 3-month licenses (what I described in my earlier post). With this enabled, you don't have to reach out to any developers and iLok will just give you permenant replacement licenses within a few days (you still need to have or purchase a new iLok though).

It's not perfect, but TLC enabled is the way to go IMO.

ilok.JPG
What does ZDT and TLC cost together for a year?

What does ZDT and TLC cost together for a year?
$30 per year per dongle. And if you need to use it, I think you need to purchase it again for the new dongle.

Personally, I feel like it should be included with no charge for every dongle purchased for the end consumer and instead baked into the cost structure of iLok's agreement with developers (and eventually priced into the final products offered by developers), but that's probably a conversation for some other time. ;)

I think VSL said that they will support Cloud and Dongle authorization.
That's why I'm asking if they have plans on Machine authorization

Funny that VSL got roundly criticised for their insurance policy for the e-licencer, but I never heard anything mentioned about ZDT and ELC even thought the cost was the same.....

Top Bottom