What's new

Video Slave or Pro Tools for running picture?

Try that on a big project with picture changes, a whole team that need the be in the loop - like orchestrators, music editors, directors...and how do you deliver safely to the music editorial/picture department?
what Charlie says is absolutely the only way not to get into legal trouble, to carry a vast amount of redundant data, to not have to re-calculate sync-points in cues that aren’t effected by picture changes, but have now a changed start-time. I can g on, but you might get my point?
Are you currently running picture out of pro tools, to print your stems? Curious to hear what your workflow is and I think many people on this board will benefit to hear the correct way to do things...

When it comes to video slave i highly recommend installing the free DAWLink. Its more precise when it comes to playback scrubbing etc.
If you use this, do you still have to connect over the network via midi? The manual also says this won’t work if a cue had tempo changes. Is that right?

The major downside having the video outside of your DAW is you can't render the video+audio instantly to send over to the director.
There's an easy remedy to this that works better than rendering out the full picture every time. Check out ffmpeg and play around with this command-
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -i input.wav -c:v copy -map 0:v:0 -map 1:a:0 output.mp4

It takes a video file (input.mp4) and adds/replaces its audio track with "input.wav." Has saved an incredible amount of time on exports, as outputting audio from a DAW is over 10x faster, and the ffmpeg process goes at something crazy like 104x video time.

Your attention to these security details is phenomenal!
Well, I already had those Cat5 switch boxes lying around from 25 years ago, and plenty of 3M Dual-Lock, so it was very little extra work to implement them as kill switches. Still, they're only about $20 each so it's not a big expense for total peace of mind that only an air-gap can provide!

Resurrecting this, what´s the most reliable way to link Cubase to another Cubase hosting the video file in the same computer?
In windows

Does anyone have any windows alternatives?
Just chiming in - as of Cubase 12 you get 3 licenses. So, it would seem that an option would be to buy C12, install it on 2 PCs, and use one for composing and one for video. Sync the two with Midi Time Code (MTC) or VST system link (a Cubase-specific option that requries two audio interfaces).

Resurrecting this, what´s the most reliable way to link Cubase to another Cubase hosting the video file in the same computer?
In windows
In that case, you would likely have to have two different versions of Cubase running simultaneously, and some sort of loopback MIDI to send the MIDI Time Code from one to a midi input of the other.

I have never done this though, so you'll have to experiment with it.

Maybe this can work

Top Bottom