What's new

Vi-Control's Collaborative Learning Projects: Ideas and Project Archive.

We can scrap the limited instruments and include the entire orchestra. There just seems to be a debate as to how broad we make these. Since you have been a regular contributor your input is very welcome!

It is a bit of a balancing act - choosing something specific enough to get a solid initial idea, but not so specific it starts to constrain creativity... personally, I liked the ones that are fairly broad but focused on one thing in particular (the synth + ostinato ones I really enjoyed).

I guess "love theme" is general enough to give people room for their own creativity. I wouldn't want to constrain it much further... we all have different interpretations of what we would want in such a track, and the more diverse the submissions the more we can learn from each other! :lol:

I think the more "limitations", the more valuable the lessons to be learned. The more open, the more everybody can just slide into their own comfort zone. So I vote for tight specifications and will stick to the strings/winds only.

Just to be clear (as English isn't my native language and sometimes it's those words that aren't really part of everyday language that I don't know): "winds" includes wood and brass, right?

I really look forward to this and Don again thanks for picking this up again!

Let's keep this one a bit more open in scope, and then alternate with more focused learning objectives.

I am by no means trained in music, I teach 5th grade. My understanding is that wind instruments mean the use of a reed. The flute family being the exception.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodwind_instrument

"Woodwind instruments (also called woodwinds) are a family of musical instruments within the more general category of wind instruments. There are two main types of woodwind instruments: flutes and reed instruments (otherwise called reed pipes)."

One of my favorite pieces of music is "Anakin's Theme" by John Williams. In it he uses winds, strings, and harp. My piece will try and emulate that sound.

Don

thanks for the clarification. So strings and (wood-)winds it is for me. :)
Do we have a deadline as well? :O

Don

thanks for the clarification. So strings and (wood-)winds it is for me. :)
Do we have a deadline as well? :O

We use this thread for discussing which area we want to focus on, and I always update the first two posts as new ideas come about, and projects are finished.

The actual projects have their own threads. I'll start the new thread later tonight which will have all the objectives and deadline.

Would you all be interested in doing a longer Project that goes along with this free course on classical composing?

https://class.coursera.org/classicalcomp-001

It's free, and the informationn for the first assignment is pretty thorough, albeit a bit dry.

Instead of posting our solutions to each week's assignment we could create a short piece using that week's particular content focus. When I say short I mean like 8-16 measures.

I know the first week is almost done, but it shouldn't be difficult to catch up and the deadline could be what ever we choose.

Don ,

I'd be game for this , however, depending on how deep this class goes I may not be able to keep up. I'm through 2 lectures so far and it seems to be at a knowledge pace I can learn from and keep up with. My music reading skills are still ehhhh not so good , but you can put me down to start .

I'm still planning on doing a Love Theme for the collaborative, hopefully next weekend I can sit down and do one. I wanted to put it together using the free Headroom Piano .

Don ,

I'd be game for this , however, depending on how deep this class goes I may not be able to keep up. I'm through 2 lectures so far and it seems to be at a knowledge pace I can learn from and keep up with. My music reading skills are still ehhhh not so good , but you can put me down to start .

I'm still planning on doing a Love Theme for the collaborative, hopefully next weekend I can sit down and do one. I wanted to put it together using the free Headroom Piano .

I was kind of thinking of keeping this one more open as to the deadline, maybe not even having a hard deadline.

I'm currently on Lesson 5 part three and my lack of sight reading skills are making it more difficult. chords are much easier to recognize when you don't have to constantly think about figuring out the notes all of the time. Learning quite a bit though.

So there wasn't much interest in doing one for the Mozart class so let's pick a different one.

How about one of these:

Flying Theme
Compose a "flying" theme (I think I remember a post in this forum about good listening material for such a theme)

Compose a piece in an unusual time signature such as 5/4, 7/4, 7/8 etc

Adventure Theme

If there is another suggestion please come forward.

I'll start the new project in the next couple of days.

Don

The "Flying" theme or the "Adventure" theme sounds good to me. I've got an old piece I'd like to rework and this would be the perfect opportunity.

As for an odd metered piece, it's already kind of habitual for me anyway, but I'd participate if that's what everyone selected.

Kurt M. Landre'
https://www.SoundCloud.com/kmlandre

Flying or adventure theme in/or including odd meters?
They all sound good to me, I'm in.

Also, thanks for organizing this!

Some things have come up that are causing me to give these projects a short break. I do plan on returning to them soon. Nothing serious, but lots of kids activities, home improvement projects, and a desire to become more proficient in my keyboard skills take up a lot of time.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in taking over for a few they are more than welcome. I will continue to keep this thread updated by adding any new projects that anyone may decide to start.

Hey All,

It has been a while since I posted here or composed anything!

So would everyone mind if I ask for everyone to give me criticism for my pieces on SoundCloud? I had composed all of them within the past month and I hope that VI Controllers would give me some feedback so that I can improve! :)

Sorry Don for not participating actively in your Collaborative Projects! They are REALLY REALLY HELPFUL!

Here's my SoundCloud link:

https://soundcloud.com/wanmingyan

Enjoy your musical creation journey!
WMY

Hi I just discovered this thread and would love to participate if another project starts up! Should I just keep an eye on this thread? thanks!

I have been thinking about starting these back up. Fell away from music for a bit, but I always seem to come back to it. Would people still be interested?

I've been pretty busy recently, so I don't know that I'll have the time. I really enjoyed the projects that I had a chance to work on last time though.

Top Bottom