What's new

VEPro 7 Preorder available with Epic Orchestra 2.0

Similarly, having nine licenses, upgrading 45 euros each....so like 400+ euros....for a version with no announced features, from a v6 that has a fair bit of instability with Nuendo....

Pass. Hard pass.

If I have more than one machine (master/slave configuration) do I need to buy a license/elicenser for each? I am debating building one very powerful machine or going with multiple computers.

If I have more than one machine (master/slave configuration) do I need to buy a license/elicenser for each? I am debating building one very powerful machine or going with multiple computers.
You need an eLicenser for each computer that runs a VEPro Server Instance and a license for each one. You pay 195€ (preorder: 145€) for the first license and 65€ for every additional license.
If you have one host + slave and VEPro runs on just the slave you'll need one license.

I'm curious to know what are the other improvements that VE-Pro 7 offers compared to VE-Pro 6 besides the integrated FX, and Epic Orch. 2.0 ?

I'm curious to know what are the other improvements that VE-Pro 7 offers compared to VE-Pro 6 besides the integrated FX, and Epic Orch. 2.0 ?

Nobody yet knows.

Indeed, a surprising number of definitive negative comments here, given that the feature set hasn't even been announced yet. The pre-order price, I can only presume, will not end before we know what's actually in it.

FX integration may be a hint for better Audio-Plugin integration. VEPro is a VSTi host, but maybe you can also use version 7 as FX rack to move cpu load to a slave. This would also mean that VEPro now can host VST3 plugins. But thats all pure speculation.

I purchased 4 licenses of VE-Pro 7, first one was $75, the other 3 licenses were $45. each. So a total cost of $210. for four VE-Pro 7 Licenses.

Looking forward to know more about what VE-Pro 7 offers, compared to VE-Pro 6. I'm confident it will offer some cool new features, possibly some workflow, GUI, and maybe even performance improvements.

Nobody yet knows.

Indeed, a surprising number of definitive negative comments here, given that the feature set hasn't even been announced yet. The pre-order price, I can only presume, will not end before we know what's actually in it.

I'm not sure they could add anything that would make it worth it, especially for someone with 2 slaves. It's frustrating that the reason for upgrading may just be "it works with current OS!".

Do they usually raise the price for upgrading after the release? Even now it's almost the price I originally paid for it, only so I can "stay current". Pretty annoying VSL, especially considering the including instruments are of no interest to me (I don't even think I would bother to download them).

What a bummer. I was really hoping they would support my upgrade to 6 more than a year or two. $400+ spent on VEpro so far (5+6 over maybe 4 years?) and counting. :/

Makes my $99/year for Pro Tools upgrades (which does so much more) look like a deal! ;)

Last edited:
I'm similarly underwhelmed by Epic Orchestra 2.0, X, but I'm not sure why you say that the greatest feature will be "works with the current OS". We just don't know what the features are yet. I've discussed all the automation / disabling options that could be workflow-transforming - if implemented well enough, it could well (ironically) kiss goodbye to slaves for a great many people as disabling is such a potentially killer feature - the devil as always is in the detail. Great idea above from Ben about having instrument racks. Who knows... that's my point really. I'm very much in a holding pattern at the moment.

[BTW - mods, isn't it worth merging these two VE Pro threads?]

Seems like a good price point to enter into the world of VEP, I ran the demo of V6 on one PC and make quite a large template so quite tempted to pick this up.

i think it is a good price point for people that have not purchased it yet, especially with the option to pay for a single license. The upgrade pricing is horrendous though. In typical VSL fashion, they are using maximum leverage over their customer base however they see fit for their own benefit, and the reactions on this thread by many users that clearly love this product, should be a pretty good indication of that.

If it turns out that VEP7 has a bunch of new features that truly take the thing to the next level, I will fork over my $$ immediately. So far all I see is that they added FX and a sample library that I don't want/need and won't even bother to download. I can see zero reason to pay for the upgrade and probably will not, unless we find out later that it turns out they have added some really trick workflow improvements that justify the price. At some point in the future I will have to upgrade or run on Mojave or something...which at this price...is ludicrous and annoying, but it is what it is... There is no competitive product, and VSL bloody well knows it.

I'm similarly underwhelmed by Epic Orchestra 2.0, X, but I'm not sure why you say that the greatest feature will be "works with the current OS". We just don't know what the features are yet. I've discussed all the automation / disabling options that could be workflow-transforming - if implemented well enough, it could well (ironically) kiss goodbye to slaves for a great many people as disabling is such a potentially killer feature - the devil as always is in the detail. Great idea above from Ben about having instrument racks. Who knows... that's my point really. I'm very much in a holding pattern at the moment.

[BTW - mods, isn't it worth merging these two VE Pro threads?]

You are correct Guy, just like disabling channels now, there could be some features that make things easier. I'll admit that.

But I have to say at times I still have issues with the disable channel feature (and other routing issues) now in VEPro 6 - I've been waiting for a more stable update since it came out. It still doesn't recognize a bunch of my AU plugins- including Kontkat 5.6 - 5.8.1) which nullifies some of my older song sessions (I switched to VST only once I realized). And even with 128GB of Ram on a 3.5GHz 6 core Mac Pro with everything on SSD's through thunderbolt, VEPro 6 will start crashing with more complicated sessions (16+instances with 8-12 channels each). Which ironically is the point at which it's easier to quit the whole session and reopen than to reload each instance. I usually end up freezing difficult tracks even though the CPU and Ram use are not extremely high.

All this to say I feel like VE Pro 5 was more solid before they decided to move on. But I'm still hoping they will give 6 more stability updates. Thanks for keeping a positive outlook. I know without VE Pro many of my sessions would not run.

Last edited:
I've given them a stack of money over the years, every paid upgrade. VE Pro 6 has poor stability overall. This is a particularly insulting way to upgrade software. "upgrade now! We won't tell you about any of the new features, nor will we tell you whether we'll fix our current software, and we'll change the payment structure, and offer nothing to people who have bought large numbers of licenses, and we'll let you have some samples you don't want...". Screw that. If it weren't for the fact they have a virtual monopoly on large size master/slave configurations with network audio and latency compensation (and yeah, I tried Bidule and Dante but the latency compensation was the killer) I'd wave them goodbye.

I have used it for both Mac and PC and it has been very stable. When it has crashed it has always been a Kontakt issue upon investigation.

Not seeing many other DAWS or hosts with the same rate of issues though and the crashes I get are fairly persistent, usually on quitting. I know there's a fair amount of buck passing going on here, when there's a grey area as to what's causing what bug, and some bugs are interactions and at the point many devs point the finger at the other side of the interaction....but still, whilst I take your point......

......this is a crappy way to treat users of their software with multiple licenses, and even anybody who just had the three licenses....having to upgrade them individually. They're offering (for me) a 400+ Euro upgrade for....zero announced features. I mean, come on.

Not seeing many other DAWS or hosts with the same rate of issues though and the crashes I get are fairly persistent, usually on quitting. I know there's a fair amount of buck passing going on here, when there's a grey area as to what's causing what bug, and some bugs are interactions and at the point many devs point the finger at the other side of the interaction....but still, whilst I take your point......

......this is a crappy way to treat users of their software with multiple licenses, and even anybody who just had the three licenses....having to upgrade them individually. They're offering (for me) a 400+ Euro upgrade for....zero announced features. I mean, come on.
Thanks for reminding me. I don't think I've quit or closed a session with VEPro for the last YEAR that DOESN'T crash VE Pro. I have to reboot VE Pro enough while I'm working that it doesn't surprise me anymore. But I remember going from VE Pro 5 to 6 and being shocked by the crashing while closing, now it's the norm. This is not a Kontakt issue Asher, it's true whether I use only Play, Synth plugins, or anything else.

My OCD now wants all my 3 licenses to VEP7 (if it's stable), even if I may only use 2 licenses at most in the near future.

Thanks for reminding me. I don't think I've quit or closed a session with VEPro for the last YEAR that DOESN'T crash VE Pro. I have to reboot VE Pro enough while I'm working that it doesn't surprise me anymore. But I remember going from VE Pro 5 to 6 and being shocked by the crashing while closing, now it's the norm. This is not a Kontakt issue Asher, it's true whether I use only Play, Synth plugins, or anything else.

This. Closing and opening, disconnecting and connecting sessions is a minefield.

Top Bottom