What's new

Using a Complete Kontrol 49 MKII Wirth another Midi Keyboard

emilio_n

Señor Miembro
Hi there,
Maybe this is a very basic question, but I want to know if someone here is using this kind of setup.

I have a Roland RD-2000 (88 keys) as my main controller. Everything is perfect so far. I got an offer to buy a demo KK49 MKII and I thought that maybe could be an interesting addition to my setup adding the NKS to my workflow.

Someone using this setup? Any advice? Do you think worth it? Anything to take in mind? Even I can buy the KK49 at a nice price, I don't want to add another bulky device to my small table if I will not get any real improvement.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experience.
Emilio

If there is no way to put the RD-2000 directly in front of you, then a smaller 49-key or 61-key controller that can be placed there is a good idea. Personally, the NKS support on NI's controllers isn't a gamechanger. The low number of knobs and no faders seems pretty pointless in my opinion. The lights on the keys makes sense on the 88-key version, as it can point out keyswitches. But on a 49-key? Seems like a gimmick to me.

I have a similar setup - NI M32 on the desk with an 88 underneath on a slide out stand.

I'll let others debate on the merits of NKI etc, but IMO the big plus here is ergonomics.
Having the smaller keyboard on the desk is great for programming, orchestral stuff - any producing effort that doesn't require two hands on the ivories, basically.

Having the extra keyboard means you can shunt the '88 out of the way when you don't need it, assuming your desk setup makes this allowance. 👍

So maybe that's another consideration to make?

If there is no way to put the RD-2000 directly in front of you, then a smaller 49-key or 61-key controller that can be placed there is a good idea. Personally, the NKS support on NI's controllers isn't a gamechanger. The low number of knobs and no faders seems pretty pointless in my opinion. The lights on the keys makes sense on the 88-key version, as it can point out keyswitches. But on a 49-key? Seems like a gimmick to me.
I have the RD-2000 in front of me. I think you are right as I can map the faders and the knobs on the Roland to Kontakt. I will rake a photo to show you my desk.
Maybe Alex is right about have and small controller with softer keys.

Hi Emilio,
I find it very practically with a small keyboard in front (attached my desk), but the biggest advantage of the second keyboard is, that you can repeat the same note very fast, using the left hand on one and the right hand on the other keyboard.
I always use this playing drum patterns!
Cheers
Jay F.

Attachments

• 2021-05-27 12.36.34.jpg
    2021-05-27 12.36.34.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom