What's new

Trying to understand Logic Pro x's VEP buffer size

mscp

VEP Pro syncs buffer size to Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Cubase - all neatly. Once VEP engine starts, I can see at the bottom of the slave PC's screen, that VEP's buffer size matches DP's buffer size (which in my case is set at 128 samples).

However, in Logic, it doesn't. Regardless of what buffer size I set in Logic's Audio Preferences, VEP's lower part of the screen - you know...where if you hover your mouse on will display what the object is - says the engine is running at 1024 sample buffer size.

Does anyone know why and how I can fix it to match it to Logic's buffer size?

Found it. Logic's "Process Buffer Range", when set to Medium, tells VEP Pro to operate at 1024 samples buffer size. If I bring Logic's buffer range to Small, then VEP Pro drops to 512. Wondering how I can match the latency on both equally since there's no other option in the Process Buffer Range menu. hmm...

I would really like to understand more exactly what that preference does exactly. I have never been able to get what I consider to be a complete answer about it. The Process Buffer is the buffer inside LPX to process mixing and plugin work. Obviously, larger can handle more work then smaller, but there is no information about how much latency is added by using small, medium, large. I think VEP must be using that buffer size and then if you set VEP plugin to "2 buffers" then its using two of whatever that buffer is. something like that.

Recently I discovered that when I was trying to push a lot of midi data through a single channel, some notes were being dropped, but when I changed Process Buffer Range to "large", LPX stopped dropping notes. But how much latency did I add to the system in terms of say, a loopback...its unclear to me. I think using small may be advantageous while tracking to minimize latency, then large for mix down....no big surprise there. However, I had another project that actually seemed to run with less CPU using the "small" setting...so..its not always cut and dried...and I really don't have any idea how to predict when to use small, medium or large...we just don't have enough information about it.

Top Bottom