What's new

Trying to decide between Uvi Falcon 2 or MSoundFactory as my next synth platform.

UVI Falcon 2 is a beast. I use it all the time. I can do virtually everything if I put my time into it. The only beef I have with it is that it can’t do multicore.
Funny thing is that marketing for MSF emphasizes its multicore abilities, but in the manual there's some "fine print" warning that enabling multicore might actually result in degraded performance.
I'm a Falcon guy myself, like a lot the elegance of its GUI.
I was looking at MSF only because I find the FM oscillator in Falcon to be unusually rudimentary compared to the rest of the app.
But I'm not sure I want to spread my limited time among two synth workstations, at least for now. And if I do and want FM, maybe I should just get a Yamaha MODX :) .

A MODX does still seem like one of the best options out there. Although MSF’s FM implementation is pretty great too. Recently been having a lot of fun (my profile picture is a dead give-away, isn’t it) with the long awaited f.’em too. But for most real life FM applications I find 4 operators to be the sweetspot, so I can see why UVI chose to go along that route.

Oh, and Arturia’s DX7 and Waves Flow Motion still get a lot of love from me too.

But for most real life FM applications I find 4 operators to be the sweetspot, so I can see why UVI chose to go along that route.
Totally agree, and with Falcon's infinite modulation options and layering, a lot can be done.

And instinctively, I like the "classic" FM approach with predefined algorithms (classic DX7, FM-X and Falcon) more than matrix based approaches like MSF. Feels more like an instrument to me, for some reason.
I look at the MSF video on FM and it gets into the dreaded (for me) "everything on one page" approach that I try to avoid.

Still, I'd like that 4OP osc of Falcon to be more 21st century. For example, I love seeing what Yamaha did with the "toy" Reface DX which has feedback on every OP. Something like that, bring a bit of spice into it ;)

Still, I'd like that 4OP osc of Falcon to be more 21st century. For example, I love seeing what Yamaha did with the "toy" Reface DX which has feedback on every OP. Something like that, bring a bit of spice into it ;)
Yes, absolutely. There is a weird balance between “it’s software, so give me all options, feedback on every OP, load your own WAVs per OP, etc” versus “restrictions are great, it adds boundaries and inspires” haha

Maybe we should just get ourselves the Reface DX, huh? What do you say! It’s cheaper than your average string library and you can actually, like, touch it and sh*t.

/needless purchase rationalization mode/
And it’ll also be great as an added little keyboard to use for keyswitches and stuff. To THINK I ever managed without one!
/rationalization mode off/

Maybe we should just get ourselves the Reface DX, huh? What do you say! It’s cheaper than your average string library and you can actually, like, touch it and sh*t.

/needless purchase rationalization mode/
And it’ll also be great as an added little keyboard to use for keyswitches and stuff. To THINK I ever managed without one!
/rationalization mode off/
Well, it's got a 4OP FM osc that's better than Falcon's, while costing less than a Falcon license :whistling:
And people say it IS a very nice keyboard (good quality keybed).

Problem is, I wanted to get one recently, but you can't find one anywhere (in Europe, that is). Thomann says it'll be available in October?!?

I own Falcon and its amazing, I do not know so much about Melda's MSF but if you can stand the ugliness of M Sound Factory, and it gives more options then go for it.

I’m very pleased that MSoundFactory (full version) includes MXXX and all of Melda’s FX and tools (as well as MDrummer and MPowerSynth) to be used within MSoundFactory.
I love this approach and more developers should follow suit. If you develop a vsti or synth, it’s a good idea to include all your fx for use (only) with that synth. Kilohearts do this too. Are you listening, Arturia? U-he? Anyway, kudos to Melda.

Falcon has amazing effects as well and does include some of the nicest UVI effects like Sparkverb and Thorus.
And the whole effects architecture in Falcon is great.

There's also the very powerful MIDI processing side of Falcon, with scripting, arps, sequences etc

The Euclidian sequencer options in Falcon alone are far better than any other synth I know offers. And the effects are great too. But I also hope UVI will add some of their newer effects to Falcon 3 at some point ;)

Who else grants lifetime updates?
While UVI hasn't publicly "granted" anything, all Falcon updates until now have been free. (and there's also a generous voucher when you buy Falcon, to get you started with some libraries).

That being said, I might be in a minority here, but I do actually feel more comfortable with manufacturers charging a reasonable amount at least for major version upgrades, as it gives me confidence that there's a flow of money from current users into the development of the instrument.

I'd like to see UVI iterating faster/more when it comes to Falcon instead of pumping out more and more mini-synths and libraries, and if that would mean paying for upgrades, fine by me.

I've been a Falcon user for a few years now, so let me add: So far, updates to Falcon 2 have been free. UVI has an extensive catalog of Falcon expansions and sampled instruments and those are bought separately.

Many of the expansions and instruments are excellent. Falcon also includes a LUA development platform that is pretty flexible. It takes a while to fully appreciate the architecture of Falcon, but I find it elegant and powerful. The built-in effects are excellent.

If you're a preset kind of guy, UVI Falcon 2 is not for you.

If you're a sound designer who likes to make your own sounds, then UVI Falcon 2 is for you.

Except for Zebra I stay away from synths that everybody has. I noticed in listening to the Westworld competition. Everybody has the same stuff and 90% sounded same'ish.
That's just lazy synthmanship there. Listening to your skills lately I don't think you'll suffer from sounding like anyone else unless you are trying to no matter what synth you buy. You've found a voice, man. And it's a good one.

Top Bottom