What's new

To the folks with 128gb ram.

It will easily run on a single machine with 128GB RAM. I only use additional servers (hosted on external server machines) when I'm running a large template for a big project, or, when creating a new project template and want all instruments to hand at the beginning of the creation process. After that I'll normaly run a VEPro server on my PC Workstation, and sometimes one or two external servers, depending on the insturments and their demand for more RAM and CPU bandwidth, and to reduce audio latency. I should add that my PC Workstation is running 512GB RAM, and dual CPU, with 22TB SSD NVMe storage. Our external (ie. out of the box) VEPro servers run on x12 Dell Enterprise Servers, each with dual Xeon CPUs and between 192GB and 384GB RAM - but gives us scalability for large templates and when we have multiple composers & engineers etc working on the same projects.
Wow, great answer, appreciate the reply, and after reading the specs on your setup, my DAW tower seems like a handheld calculator. From 1973.

It will easily run on a single machine with 128GB RAM. I only use additional servers (hosted on external server machines) when I'm running a large template for a big project, or, when creating a new project template and want all instruments to hand at the beginning of the creation process. After that I'll normaly run a VEPro server on my PC Workstation, and sometimes one or two external servers, depending on the insturments and their demand for more RAM and CPU bandwidth, and to reduce audio latency. I should add that my PC Workstation is running 512GB RAM, and dual CPU, with 22TB SSD NVMe storage. Our external (ie. out of the box) VEPro servers run on x12 Dell Enterprise Servers, each with dual Xeon CPUs and between 192GB and 384GB RAM - but gives us scalability for large templates and when we have multiple composers & engineers etc working on the same projects.
Wow, what kind of workstation do you use that allows 512gb ram and 22tb of ssd storage? Thats a beast machine! (Great job building it!)

Wow, what kind of workstation do you use that allows 512gb ram and 22tb of ssd storage? Thats a beast machine! (Great job building it!)
So my DAW workstation is actually quite old tech by today's standards. The spec is:
- Supermicro X10DAi motherboard, with dual Xeon 2696v3 CPUs turbo'ed to about 3.6GHz (needs 2 fans per CPU to stay below 50 degrees C)
- 512GB DDR4 RAM running at 2134MHz
- Various NVMe drives totalling 21.96TB, installed on x3 PCIe Gen3 cards, each card takes x4 NVMe drives. These store all the VST instruments and libraries. The NVMes are mainly Samsung EVO Plus and Crucial P3 Plus drives.
- Various SSD's that store data other than instruments and samples, including a Samsung 860 Pro that runs very very fast (good for the Windows drive)
- AMD Radeon wx7100 GPU
- Audio is out of the box via UAD Apollo x8

Supermicro upgraded this motherboard back in 2020 to X12DAi. This supports faster memory (3200MHz I think) and has PCIe Gen4 allowing the use of the much faster NVMe drives (up to 7.5 Gb/sec). Alas the CPUs for this board are still super pricey. They even recently released their newest, fastest ever MB, which has PCIe Gen 5 which I believe supports speeds up to 12Gb/sec. No doubt Intel's CPUs for this will run to USD 10k a pop when they hit the market, and no doubt overkill for composing.

Top Bottom