What's new

Tiny studio, is this a problem? Not for me actually

I couldn't agree more but without any library its very hard to produce a decent sound. :roflmao:
I made a wish couple of days ago to forum genie on Harley-Davidson but it didn't came trough. :laugh:
Fortunately I have my FL Studio synths and MiniGrand that came with keyboard. :thumbsup:

Mind you I am so new to this music production stuff I wouldn't know where to start anyway. :grin:
Loads of free libraries out their and great tools....:)

Reactions: 3DC
Such a great post indeed!

I have a half decent studio, but I believe it limits my creativity in many ways.
I find myself thinking how to improve it, from cable management, to gear that for some reason stopped working and I have to troubleshoot, from updating tons of plugins.

I have started thinking to start getting towards a more minimalist approach.
I have written many of my best tracks using a Macbook Air and NanoKeys when traveling, using just Logic and stock plugins and sounds.

I absolutely believe that you can create amazing tracks using a minimal setup. The gear for me doesn't have to do anything with inspiration. Usually being in a different place than a studio inspires me more than having tons of gear around me.

Producers such as Skrillex and Avicii (RIP) using also minimal laptop setups.

Also you can still make a minimalist studio looks beautiful and inspirational. Mood lighting can help, a nice desk etc.
Totally.
I spent around a month playing with an iPad for articulation switching before realising that for *me personally* it was fast becoming a distraction to fiddle with.

That’s not to say that tablets, battleship style rigs etc can’t be creative and productive places to be - it’s more about the individual headspace I think. But I often wonder if some people are lost in the tools when they’d be better off simplifying. I reckon there’s a fair number.

My Studioequpiment gets reduced from year to year.
I'm glad that the big analog mixer 28/8/4/2 is gone, that creates space and I do not need that today at all.
Most of the time I sit at my minimal set consisting of 2 minikeyboard - controllers and a MacBook. I listen to my music on a Sony Ghettoblaster (with minidisk recorder) which has a phenomenal sound and a 24 inch monitor because my eyes are getting worse.
For composing and finding ideas that is quite enough.

The large setup is more for finalizing or when I write quite opulent works that require the use of several computers. Whereas I can also access the other machines with my minimal setup via VEPro.

To find ideas I have found for me that less can often be more.

There's this weird obsession with having to optimize everything and getting the latest and greatest shit before you can even start about thinking of doing stuff. In reality, it's never really been that way. You make do with what you have and try to get most out of it.

In reality, these plugins and libraries and software etc. don't mean shit. They're all OK and you can make good music with any selection of respectable products. Even monitoring IMO isn't that big of a deal as people would have you believe. Obviously you'll need something that's up to the task, but it doesn't have to be the same stuff Alan Meyerson or Bob Rock have mounted in their studios, and doesn't have to cost nearly as much.

For me, the biggest roadblock was always acoustics. Who has the luxury of being able to set up a studio under ideal conditions, after all? You're either working in some square room in your house or apartment, or the ceiling of your makeshift studio is too low, or you're stuck in a corner, you've made your garage your music space, etc. But that doesn't mean that you can't do anything about it. You can't make a bad room perfect, but you can still make it better than it was before. Some re-thinking and reorganizing, stuff like DYI bass traps etc. (everyone should make their own!!) - there's a lot that can be done.

I'll gonna be building my own little facility this year, but it's only because of making music under suboptimal conditions for many years that I even have a clear picture of what I'm even going for and what needs to be done and how it's done the proper way. One can always upgrade, but you can never let the fact that you don't have something get in the way of doing stuff.
Amen to that.... My room treatment is the most expensive and most beloved piece of gear I have. I love my speakers but they're not super pricy and overly fancy... If given the choice I'll always budget more for the environment than anything else. Hearing an incredible image that has depth and detail I've found to be the best source of inspiration, and a source that never gets stale...

Acoustics are luxury for most... There are tons of incredible musicians that make incredible music in less than ideal conditions... Entire genres and cultural movements grew out of making music with limited means... But if you do reach a place in your life where music is your bread and butter it's well worth treating yourself to a proper listening experience.

Make music with whatever you have for sure though... You've got to start somewhere and some of the best creative come from imposed limitations...

My bedroom/workshop/studio/office is only 1.8 x 4m. I have only entry level music production gear but before my 48 birthday I had absolutely nothing like that so I am happy like a little kid. :dancer:

myrig-jpg.2105
You have well sumarized, the best studio is where you feel happy. And also do feel happy in my little studio. When I close the doors, put my headphones on my ears and start to compose, the size of my studio don't matter anymore, I feel like if I was, well, I don't know where but I feel good.

Reactions: 3DC
This is such a beautiful post Rachel.
Being a student and pretty hard up, for the past year I've tried to put together in my little space equipment that has been gifted to me mostly. My keyboard and monitors were broken but I repaired them. The few sample librarys I have I saved and saved and eventually bought them (all on sale).

Then I realised one great thing. If I closed my eyes I didn't see the cheap equipment and lack of space, but the sounds I created transported me whereever I wanted, they moved me. I realised then that the crazy idea of 'not good enough to make good music' of course was just that, crazy. It was hard (partly because of all the hype manufacturers want us to believe) but I had to let this idea go and just make sounds, make music, be creative. To me it has been a revelation.
Yes, same here (except I am not a student anymore ;) ). But like you, when I close my eyes and start to make music, I know I am at the right place and I wouldn't change my studio as it is a place where I feel well

I too am working in what some might consider a sub-optimal studio. At times I find it sub-optimal, and there are certainly a couple things I'd like to do.

But, the studio configuration - hardware and software - is not the limiting factor. Two of my favorite recordings were made on a Fostex X-15 four-track cassette recorder, with a Korg MS-20, a pedal steel, an upright piano, and a couple guitars.

Limits can be inspiring!

They can also create obstacles.

It is a coin toss, on any given day that which you consider limiting might help or hurt.

For me? There are two things I am working to "fix" right now:
1) I need more physical space in which to play. Things are just too cramped for comfort, so I am re-arranging equipment to make more space.
2) I will need to revisit my monitor system - the physical layout now works quite well, and I am going to eliminate a couple of the things that make it so. I've got my work cut out for me.

Beyond that? I sometimes miss the console, tape decks, and racks of gear. I don't miss the maintenance. Sometimes!

But I am also aware that some of my all time favorite recordings were tracked and mixed in environments that would make most of us cringe. One of the studios I enjoyed most was tiny, there was barely room to push your chair all the way back! Acoustically speaking it shouldn't have worked, and yet it did! Tracks mixed there translated well to other spaces.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't build the best studio you can, in terms of acoustics, ergonomics, and of course capabilities. You should. You just need to be careful not to overdo it. Like many here I really need to thin my collection of plugins, and to a lesser degree libraries.

All of which is one of the things that makes music making so interesting.

The rooms we work in show mostly the way we live instead of the results we achieve. I'm happy do have a nice mid sized room just for making music and I'm proud that it looks good for my taste and I feel home there. I didn't have it when I was younger. One of the few benefits of age. But I wouldn't rate anybody for working in a small room. I mostly admire people working with minimal equipment somewhere and get great music out of it!

Like Cliff Martinez did on Blockbuster movies:

I haven't read most of the posts

But it all comes down to what you need.
Like me I don't record live instruments

A small room with good ventilation ( Air Conducted even better)

More than enough.
(For people like me who use only Sample Libs XD )

I personally love it when resourceful, creative artists make beautiful things with limited space. My wife and I are both creative types, so we took the larger of the bedrooms in our place and made it our studio... so I have the largest home studio space I've ever had, at the moment. But some of the best work I've done has been in tiny, non-ideal environments, and that's true for a lot of artists I know. I wrote the foundation of this track while I was waiting for my laundry to finish up at a laundromat in Brooklyn, on a white 2008 Macbook and headphones:

The one reason I'd like a larger space than I already have would be for recording woodwinds. (The room is treated to deaden early reflections, but it would be nice to have some better natural reverb.) But that's a luxury that can wait.

These days you don't need much more than a laptop and a controller and some drives.
A pretty studio is mostly for clients and maybe a touch for your own self esteem.
My studio is always a mess as I've always got a few projects on the go with overlapping needs, but it works for me.
Whatever lets you work well.

I believe the shift that has happened over the last 20 or so years, is that back then you needed a lot of expensive hardware to actually produce what we do. Whereas now, while many still do want and make use of a well equipped studio, either for inspiration, convenience, or just attachment to physical stuff, you really only really need a laptop, a pair of headphones, and a small midi keyboard to produce pro quality orchestral works. The rest is all software. The DAW, the sample libraries, and the effects.

People like Christian Henson, Guy Michelmore, and even Alex Moukala clearly show how much can be done with minimal or mobile rigs these days. Being a minimalist myself I absolutely LOVE this development and today my own hobbyist setup consists of nothing but an iMac, a Keystation 49, the iLouds, and a pair of AKGK240s. Everything else is in the box, and I wouldn't want it any other way. The fact that I can expand inside of the digital realm, and keep the physical one tidy, is pure bliss!

Last edited:
Small studio here too, in a room that’s also my office and a bit of storage, around 8 sqm. Paris real estate price doesn’t allow much more.

I’ve designed a kind of gallows to hang my guitars high on the wall over my gear and desk.
The day it collapses, all my gear is ruined and I’m dead.
That’s rock’n’roll life !

This is great thread, but I feel it'll get slapped into the Drama Zone shortly because it goes against everything that VIC stands for! 😉
I think many people have minimalist equipments, either by choice, or just because they cannot afford the must up-to-date gear. I would love to have more room, more equipment, but sometimes I just wonder why I would need more gear. Just to post beautiful pictures of my studio? Currently I love my little home studio, I have everything I need to express my creativity. I have been making music for many years now, and I have upgraded my setup very very slowly, but I am happy with what I have now. I have the sounds I love. I have bought them through the years, at Christmas, at my birthday, when there were on sales. Everytime people asked me what I wanted for my birthday, instead of asking for shoes or bags or I don't know what, I was asking for sounds libraries. Maybe that sounds weird to non-musicians, but actually it's what makes me happy. I know when I have bought - or received - each of my libraries. I know from where I started, I know where I want to go. And I am slowly going there.

Small studio here too, in a room that’s also my office and a bit of storage, around 8 sqm. Paris real estate price doesn’t allow much more.

I’ve designed a kind of gallows to hang my guitars high on the wall over my gear and desk.
The day it collapses, all my gear is ruined and I’m dead.
That’s rock’n’roll life !
Geneva's prices are not better too :(

I’ve noticed that people love to share pictures of their beautiful studio. I understand they are proud of their achievement and want to share it and I would love to do so. But my studio is tiny and quite minimalist. But currently, I have everything I need. I have iLouds monitors (they are tiny but good enough for me), Beyerdynamics DT 880 headphones, M-audio keyboard. I have Cubase 7.5, Kontakt 6 and most of all, a lot of beautiful orchestral and non-orchestral libraries.

Except I cannot share beautiful pictures, this is not a problem for me. But it seems that for some people, it is not possible to make good music in those conditions. I don’t agree. And you ? What do you think ? Do you think that gear is more important than good sounds ? Of course I would love to have both, but if I have to make choices (and I have to), I prefer invest my money into sounds libraries.

(I speak French, so I apologize for my poor English)
Mine has been tiny since I stopped using hardware synths. The table? Just a card table and a cheap wood shelf I made.

Attachments

• tj workstation.jpg
    tj workstation.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom