Tina Guo Vol2 - Opinions

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Callum Hoskin, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Theodor Andrews

Theodor Andrews Theodor und die Stille

Apr 24, 2018
    Germany
    I think I'll buy it. I'm a huge fan of vol 1 and this is my go to cello since it's release. What I really like in vol 2 is the possibility to disable bow change. I like bow change for adding realism but you always have to be in time, otherwise it's sounding unnatural. The extra stuff of vol 2 sounds good. The granular effect is a bit too much for my taste, but useful for sound design anyway. 99 dollars is a fair price, with taxes and the 10 dollars off it takes me 95 Euros. That's quite fair I think.

2. micrologus

micrologus Active Member

I would recommend the Chris Hein Cello. It's a great instrument!
    I own the Blakus cello too.
    And for violin I recommend Joshua Bell, it's so easy to play!

Casiquire and Rey like this.
  3. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    thanks. definitely going to get Joshua violin. I ve heard the demo of chris hein cello it really sounds nice. I hope it is as playable as it is nice.

4. Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Second day disappointment remains. I dusted off CSSS which I never actually really had used in depth before and to my surprise (if you can live with the delays) the cello legato can pull of lyrical lines just as well as the Guo V1 legato. On top of that it has three dynamic legato layers, way more articulations and the proper range you'd expect from a solo instrument. I'm actually considering myself stupid for not using it earlier. Oh well..

5. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I see. It probably would have been clearer to just say "here's an example of his work" because in the context of speaking about an odd sounding demo, I wanted to hear the odd sounding demo! Lol

DarkestShadow likes this.
  6. HelixK

HelixK Active Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Last time I heard, it was abandoned by Blake? Did he change his mind? If so greatet new of the year already! Such a capable instrument yet so dated compared to Chris Hein or Bohemian. I never touched the Blackus Cello after I bought CHS and BC. If Embertone rework their script to bring the playability on par with Joshua Bell, I'll be all over it again.

Satorious and SoundChris like this.
  7. DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow Senior Member

Indeed. Edited the comment for clarity.

Casiquire likes this.
  8. Sears Poncho

Sears Poncho Active Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Two observations:

1. Had this been released 3 weeks ago, this thread would have 460 comments instead of 46.

2. The "yes, we promised a free update to TG Legato" is probably a wise idea to make happen. While TG1 is certainly impressive, it's not always "usable" due to flaws. I own the full sound design version, so I'm hoping Cinesamples chimes in and explains if the v1 is going to be updated as previously announced.

Stevie and Casiquire like this.
  9. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    I thought the amount of focus on Tina's bare right leg to be a tad peculiar (maybe even cynically sexist) in the marketing photo, so I pulled a Victorian and covered it up.
    TinaGuoGuiFix.png

sekkosiki, Tekkera, Scamper and 15 others like this.
  10. johnbusbymusic

johnbusbymusic Musician/Composer

Oct 10, 2016
    Mississippi
    @rottoy
    it is after all a LEGato patch...
    just sayin

perfect marketing in my opinion lol

sostenuto, poetd, stfciu and 11 others like this.
  11. whiskers

whiskers play stupid games, win stupid prizes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    still not sure how I feel about this. Anyone know when the 10$ discount expires? Hoping this was a free update was one of the reasons I bought the original. Ah well, my bad I guess.

12. michelsimons

michelsimons Active Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Delft
    I don't know when it expires, but I for one have decided to let this one go for now. Chances are that there will be better discounts in the future and if not, well, it's only 10$. I am not going to lose any sleep over missing a 10$ discount.

whiskers likes this.
  13. Rob Elliott

Rob Elliott Senior Member

yep - I too have fallen prey to 'only good for 1st chair / dbl CSS' - much more than that. As you pointed out - with ample arts and ease of use - VERY straight forward to pull off a 'cello solo'. ;)

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  14. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    The thing about Tina Guo v1 vs CSSS is precisely the baked in dynamics of the arc.

If you want something close to the 'game of thrones' space , CSSS has a nice tone, but in that I think that the dynamics on the arcs are completely crucial to that space, CSSS (though it has lovely dynamic layers) just doesn't give you the dynamics on the arcs of individual notes.

Tina Guo v1 basically only does one thing well - which is phrases these really lean on the beautiful expressive dynamics of the arcs. The mod wheel does invoke simulated dynamics a little via some sort of eq or something, which works surprisingly passably - but only because it's not fully simulating dynamic layers, but only letting you emphasize or de-emphasize the existing baked in dynamics. It's only because you have the timbre change so pronounced on the arcs already that the eq simulation manages to passably simulate altering the range of the arc's dynamics, though not its overall shape (compare this to the Blakus, which uses, I think, a convolution to simulate dynamics. But because the samples are basically flat, I find it enormously unconvincing to the point the it has an unpleasant uncanniness ).

And here's what has me puzzled by TG v2 - it has much less dynamics baked in on the arcs, and there appears to still be only a single dynamic layer. Plus, a slower progressive vibrato - which it seems is largely to avoid stepping on the legato in faster passages.

So it's faster, yes but there are a lot of libs that do faster very, very well ( ie CSSS) and with much greater expressive range.

Very possible I'm missing something here. But v1 is unique in that it while doesn't cover much expressive space in the universe of all possible cello lines, it's completely unbeatable the distinctively Tina-Geo-esq space that it does cover.

v2 though .... seems like a tiny fraction of CSSS or other existing cellos - only with the additional unique selling point of ... granular synthesis?

Pretty sure I'm missing something here actually. Would love to hear more cello-literate thoughts on what it is that v2 really does well.

Casiquire and jbuhler like this.
  15. whiskers

whiskers play stupid games, win stupid prizes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    CSS and CSSS? Cinematic Studio Strings and ??

16. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Cinematic Studio Solo Strings

whiskers likes this.
  17. Sears Poncho

Apr 23, 2017
    What you might be missing= TG1 is an enormous program, which gave birth to a spinoff "iegato" patch (which is in the bigger program). The full TG1 does all kinds of stuff including erhu, but there are some legit cello patches as well. Check out the attached screen shot. On the left you'll see all the choices. On the main page I pulled up the 4 "legit" patches for acoustic. They can actually work well in certain situations. The "Quarters" can work for Baroque, the shorts are rough off the string. Sustain is kinda sul tasto then adds vib. with the mod wheel. It's not going to equal a full solo cello library but it probably does more than people realize.

So, I think TG2 builds on the whole thing, not just the "TG Legato". V2 is certainly gonna help out those of us with the full deal because now we'll kinda have a "whole" cello in addition to the loops/fx etc.

TGscreen.png

Casiquire, jbuhler, ism and 1 other person like this.
  18. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Thanks, that's a perspective I definitely was missing.

It does point though - like the presence of granular synthesis instead of dynamic layers - to this library being more sound design library with occasional islands of orchestral capabilities.

Immensely lovely islands though they may be.

19. Sears Poncho

Apr 23, 2017
    I think of it as a "cello toolkit". Not quite a full blown library, but one coming from numerous angles including sound design. I use the "full" far more than the legato, I can always find something in it, and the shorts are my first chair shorts.

whiskers and ism like this.
  20. macmac

macmac Active Member

Sep 10, 2015
    So for people who already own the V1 Legato (not full), do you feel one gets more flexibility / realism in creating your own parts / phrases by buying the full V1 upgrade (which has more of the acoustic that is lacking in just the Legato) or 2) by buying the new V2 to add to the V1 legato?

whiskers likes this.