What's new

The Praise Someone (or Something) Thread

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
The world sometimes seems it is bursting with criticism and negativity. It’s time for a positive thread to cheer us all up.

Is there anyone or anything in your life that deserves some praise? Maybe it’s your wife, your husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, or government (<- :rofl: ), maybe it’s your parents, your children, your friends, your colleagues, your pets, a flower, a TV show, an author or particular book. Maybe it’s a complete stranger that helped you change a tyre, or a kind smile a random woman, man or child gave you that lifted your spirits for the whole day. Maybe it’s a doctor, a surgeon or an emergency service worker that saved your life. Perhaps it’s a poem that you read once that has resonated with you your whole life. Or a teacher that inspired you and gave you direction and purpose in life. Or perhaps it’s a painting, or a city, or a landscape. Or just life itself.

Anyone or anything at all that has had a positive impact big or small it would be lovely to hear about it.

I’ll start: I’d like to praise my 9 year old nephew for being so helpful and kind to his 5 year old sister. She has hearing and speech difficulties and he helps her so much with understanding things. He nearly died from Sepsis when he was 3 and lost some of his fingers so he has had his own struggles growing up. He’s so full of life and joy. It’s lovely to have someone in your life that reminds you of what life is all about: helping each other, showing kindness, love and understanding.

Best wishes,
Darren

As a composer I would like to praise someone, but I have no idea who. Perhaps my mother, although she wanted me to become an accountant. Nevertheless, she did feed me and buy me clothes and stuff, so that's a positive.

As a composer I would like to praise someone, but I have no idea who. Perhaps my mother, although she wanted me to become an accountant. Nevertheless, she did feed me and buy me clothes and stuff, so that's a positive.
Music is just math that makes noise, so accounting would be…aw, who am I kidding?

I’d go with Carl Sagan. In my opinion, the best popularizer of science and critical thinking. I started reading his books around 25 years ago and they had a positive impact on me. I might have to go and re-read some if them.
As you well know, The Dragons of Eden bears up under repeated readings:emoji_thumbsup:

My co-composer/assistant. She’s a true artist and makes me think from directions I wouldn’t normally. Also, the ego boost/hand-holding that comes from having someone else to share in the experience, is priceless. Our meeting was really random or serendipitous, and I am so glad that we were both in the right place at the right time. It’s truly been life changing and I feel like I’ve met my newest best friend of the last 25 years.

Praise for the birch tree.

When you make a sauna, use birch tree in the stove, then smell the birch tree smoke coming out of the chimney - and its freezing outside.

Makes you high for two weeks. On human fate.

I’d go with Carl Sagan. In my opinion, the best popularizer of science and critical thinking. I started reading his books around 25 years ago and they had a positive impact on me. I might have to go and re-read some if them.
Sagan's 1980 TV series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage is astounding. I think it's the greatest show ever made.

The theme music for the series is Movement 3 from "Symphony to the Powers B" by Vangelis. The music starts out slowly, but once it gets to the 1 minute mark and the choir comes in, it really starts to soar.

My wife is an excellent hobbyist baker. She's better at that than I am at any professional job I've ever had.

Top Bottom