What's new

"the orchestra" - new engine tutorial 02!

Sounds fun, is there just the single mic option? How are things panned out of the box? Also, amazingly small footprint, 6.5gb! I'm assuming tat's because it doesn't come with 18349 mic options?

this looks and sounds really good!
the UI looks intuitive and fun and extremely playable
oh and probably the best walk through videos around!
Well done

I'm not entirely surprised at the memory footprint, considering how good my LASS Lite sounds at only 3.5gb. One close mic position is the best option in my opinion!

This sounds pretty good and looks easy to play . You have to love the walkthrough at 3:15 when the player just throws his arm on the keyboard , or whatever lol. I'd like to see more walkthroughs of the entire library and different sections . Also , it says minimum requirement is Kontakt 5.6.8 ( and I am not updating my full version to that one just yet) . Does anyone know if it is possible to download the newest Kontakt Free Player and use that separately from the Kontakt full version?

This sounds pretty good and looks easy to play . You have to love the walkthrough at 3:15 when the player just throws his arm on the keyboard , or whatever lol. I'd like to see more walkthroughs of the entire library and different sections . Also , it says minimum requirement is Kontakt 5.6.8 ( and I am not updating my full version to that one just yet) . Does anyone know if it is possible to download the newest Kontakt Free Player and use that separately from the Kontakt full version?

As long as you rename the new one to say Kontakt 5.6.8. Basically install on another drive first to get the file then change the name before copying to the usual app location. On a Mac its a bit easier, but on a PC I think its in an X64 folder if I remember.

My advice make a backup of your current version and the plugin versions just in case it goes t**ts up then at least you can go back. Just remember not to batch resave any of your older libraries though.

It sounds awfully good doesn't it Jay? I'm frankly a little surprised given its memory footprint.

Here is the thing, and I don't know how many people here this is true for.

Philosophically, I have always been in the camp of having a rig that I could write anything I needed to from the most basic to the most complex. This involved two computers, multiple libraries to mix and match, tons of drives.

Lately, and it may be because I am older, I am realizing there is a big disconnect between this philosophy and what I am actually getting hired to write and am likely going to be hired to write. So for me, personally, I may now need to give myselfdifferent advice than I would give a younger client who has legitimate aspirations and hopes of writing the kind of stuff that my rig can in fact achieve.

So my advice to myself is "scale down", which is why I just sold my slave PC. This library, along with a few specialty libraries, realistically probably gets me there. So I am intrigued.

Here is the thing, and I don't know how many people here this is true for.

Philosophically, I have always been in the camp of having a rig that I could write anything I needed to from the most basic to the most complex. This involved two computers, multiple libraries to mix and match, tons of drives.

Lately, and it may be because I am older, I am realizing there is a big disconnect between this philosophy and what I am actually getting hired to write and am likely going to be hired to write. So for me, personally, I may now need to give myselfdifferent advice than I would give a younger client who has legitimate aspirations and hopes of writing the kind of stuff that my rig can in fact achieve.

So my advice to myself is "scale down", which is why I just sold my slave PC. This library, along with a few specialty libraries, realistically probably gets me there. So I am intrigued.
I could see this as a great time saver but still yielding great results for mock ups and even finished product. I honestly only ever used a single computer and lately I've been able to write pretty expansive pieces with my modest little MacBook Air i7 with a bunch of Samsung T3 SSDs. I love the idea that you can have a full orchestra but don't need a ton of RAM or HD space. And it really sounds quite good.

Holy crap that looks amazing.

Wish I hadn't watched the walk through video. I've spent far too much on music stuff over the last couple of months and I can see this being slapped on my credit card the next time I have a few beers inside me. :confused:

Sounds fun, is there just the single mic option? How are things panned out of the box? Also, amazingly small footprint, 6.5gb! I'm assuming tat's because it doesn't come with 18349 mic options?
Hey mac, thank you for your question! To keep the footprint small we included a single mixed mic-position that is quite dry, and an internal convolution reverb with some specifically selected IRs to set a nice out-of-the-box sound.
All instruments were recorded in their traditional seating position, so there is no additional panning required to achieve a realistic stereo image.

Torn. I like the footprint memory wise, the sound, and if there's a tight deadline; this seems good. But wondering about the educational aspects and writing for live players. For All-in-a-box projects, this seems great; like the new version of Symphobia. But getting that ARP string line notated for Sibelius and live players seems like the usual amount of work. I have 2 sonokinetic libraries that I rarely use, but I love their midi drag and drop feature because I can actually 'see' as well as hear what is being played and then choose to copy it, modify it, or just not use at all. So with 'the orchestra', I wonder if a midi export will be an option, especially with this multis.

Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder now if I can create similar patches by throwing a load of my existing library patches in a Logic "track stack" and then using Logics midi effects (such as the arpeggiator, modulator and transpose midi fx) to shape the performance...?

I've never tried to use a regular arpeggiator to create ostinatos, not sure how it would work...?

Last edited:
Top Bottom