What's new

The O.L.C. (One Library Challenge)

Some fantastic contributions here. It shows that using one library only is not necessarily limiting if you know how to use it.

Not sure if this counts as it is strings only. But here is a track that I wrote and mocked up with Cinematic Studio Strings only:

https://app.box.com/s/vc529lsqsuuzemieurzs7we11mc74f6i
That’s exactly what this thread is about! Acknowledging that we don’t need a lot but can make great music using just one single library. Your beautiful contribution proves just that! ❤️

Are bundles also valid in this thread? (e.g SSO, SStO, or VSL cube, BBO everything bundle)
They are sold as a one product (the bundle).

Are bundles also valid in this thread? (e.g SSO, SStO, or VSL cube, BBO everything bundle)
They are sold as a one product (the bundle).
@RogiervG thanks for asking! :thumbsup:

Not in this thread. But we are thinking about starting a thread regarding collections or bundles. Here it's all about single libraries. They are often underestimated even by those, who bought them.

I'm really happy you've asked, though. :2thumbs:

I had done a couple of Composer Cloud-only mockups a few years ago, in the same spirit as this challenge.
Hymn To The Fallen, Dragon Racing... Would they count? It's not technically one library, but it was just Hollywood orch + choirs (gold, one mic). Only used free/stock plugins, so for $29/m it's pretty dang accessible.
Also this:
HO gold + stock plugins again.

I might do one for BBCSO next...

I had done a couple of Composer Cloud-only mockups a few years ago, in the same spirit as this challenge.
Hymn To The Fallen, Dragon Racing... Would they count? It's not technically one library, but it was just Hollywood orch + choirs (gold, one mic). Only used free/stock plugins, so for $29/m it's pretty dang accessible.

I guess no, since my question (about bundles) the answer was no. (only single lib)

Also this:
HO gold + stock plugins again.

@RogiervG , see, that's why I was so thrilled you had asked first! :laugh::emoji_thumbsup:

@Jdiggity1 , that sounds amazing, but it's not in the spirit of this thread. However, please, do one with BBCSO, that would be EXCELLENT!!! You're amazing! :dancer:

Would another blast from the past entry be permitted?

Can't believe I am sharing these but.. here's some of my earliest mockups done with my first orchestral library: the original the legendary Garritan Personal Orchestra which was not a very well regarded library at the time but I had no idea what I was doing.

These cause me physical and mental pain to listen to but hopefully good for some laughs.

Attachments

• End Title.mp3
    3.1 MB
  • The Duel.mp3
    2.2 MB

Can't believe I am sharing these but.. here's some of my earliest mockups done with my first orchestral library: the original the legendary Garritan Personal Orchestra which was not a very well regarded library at the time but I had no idea what I was doing.

These cause me physical and mental pain to listen to but hopefully good for some laughs.
AWWWWWWW, that was my first, too! :geek: ...I actually dug it up a few years ago and made a little test with it, too. Hmmm, let's see...

OH, but first: Very sweet, why the heck not! There are actually a few very pretty moments in there, considering what this was, especially with the high strings. And I love the harp parts! Beautiful composition for sure.

OK, now where's my garritan doodle:
(Oh, holy heck, it's 6 years ago)

Some fantastic contributions here. It shows that using one library only is not necessarily limiting if you know how to use it.

Not sure if this counts as it is strings only. But here is a track that I wrote and mocked up with Cinematic Studio Strings only:

https://app.box.com/s/vc529lsqsuuzemieurzs7we11mc74f6i
I remember this from when you first posted it. Such a great piece - simple and elegant; the two hardest things to pull off!

I enjoyed them but I am also a fan of old game soundtracks so that's probably why

That's a fun thread with some great contributions!
Last week i joined the BBC SO club and did a little piece with it.

However, unfortunately i don't want to take the risk to be punished by posting it, since it violates the rigid terms of this thread... ;)
I couldn't help myself and replaced the BBC horns with MSB (which matches it surprisingly well) in that piece, also, my impression with the V1 shorts is that they sound rather brutal (as if the transients were cut off) above soft levels, so i doubled them with CSS.
Good thing is, you don't have to listen to that track – it will give you an extra 3 minutes of lifetime :)

That's a fun thread with some great contributions!
Last week i joined the BBC SO club and did a little piece with it.

However, unfortunately i don't want to take the risk to be punished by posting it, since it violates the rigid terms of this thread... ;)
I couldn't help myself and replaced the BBC horns with MSB (which matches it surprisingly well) in that piece, also, my impression with the V1 shorts is that they sound rather brutal (as if the transients were cut off) above soft levels, so i doubled them with CSS.
Good thing is, you don't have to listen to that track – it will give you an extra 3 minutes of lifetime :)
If anything, that already are some very interesting/helpful impressions! I somehow expected the only flaw in BBCSO to be the intense wetness in the standard mix and didn't expect the articulations to fall short in such fundamental ways? ...I'd almost want to hear a side-by-side. Now I'll have to track down your BBC SO club? :sneaky:

I somehow expected the only flaw in BBCSO to be the intense wetness in the standard mix and didn't expect the articulations to fall short in such fundamental ways? ...I'd almost want to hear a side-by-side. Now I'll have to track down your BBC SO club? :sneaky:
I was surprised in a positive way by the "wetness" that i expected previously. Maybe it's because of the (counterintuitive) fact that i've put a bit of Cinematic Rooms Pro on it (and some additional processing).
But the brutality of the V1 is something i want to have a closer look at (i.e. taking a closer look at the transients). That's kind of a pity because the strings are really beautiful per se.
There were/are lots of complaints about the horns so they were no surprise.

Top Bottom