What's new

The Mandalorian - OUTSTANDING Score

So I just watched first ep of the new season... And WOW it's like Gorranson has upped the score up to 11, it's freakin amazing!!! Memorable themes, recorded beautifully, and they allowed for more space in the scenes for the music to shine, there's a lot more music. I think Favreau has incorporated gorranson in the show as a main part as opposed to TV cues. It was much more cinematic, I really hope this continues throughout the season.

What did you guys think??

I am really late to this. I am only three episodes in. At first I felt like the music was really wrong. I guess I really wanted Williams for Star Wars. But I have to admit that the music really grew on me. It is very different, but I can still hear subtle Star Wars elements. I feel like the music exists in the same galaxy as Williams' music. Just a very different part of that galaxy. This music would not have worked for the classic movies of course. But I think it works for this specific series. Well done, Ludwig!

I don't like the composition to be honest. It's not in the vain/style/genre of the starwars music universe, it sounds very odd in context of it.

Just a heads up.. The Mandalorian : Season 2 - Vol.1 (Chapters 9-12) is released !

By https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00449GXLS/ref=dm_ws_ps_adp (Ludwig Göransson)

Reactions: KEM
I think the theme for the show was great, but most of the rest of the score is pretty boring and forgettable. It is as if he put a lot of work and effort into making that theme great and then had to hastily finish all the episodes. Especially in the first 4 Episodes of season 2 I was really bored by the music.

Apart from the reoccurring theme everything was very forgettable in season 2, no further memorable tunes or themes, while there were many chances for that. That is not very Starwars-like and by that I do not mean to necessarily copy Williams' symphonic style! No, I find the direction of the theme memorable, different to what is known to be Starwars yet Starwarsy - all at the same time! That is, what makes it great. So, it is regrettable that the season 2 couldn't keep up with that good start, so far ...

It's an interesting, impressive score. I especially like the originality of the beginning. It's odd though because I didn't feel inspired to listen to all of it, even though I was like "wow!" about some of the choices. It seems more appealing in the sense of expert facile use of the tools, than having a lyrical or emotive appeal. Even the "flute" theme in the beginning isn't so much a melody or lyric, as it is a hemiolic play on chords. So there's nothing you'd really walk away humming. Fun stuff though.

Finally binged this show last week. Great plot and score. At first I wasn’t a fan but it’s grown on me. Interesting to push the Star Wars sonic universe beyond the orchestra for once.

The theme took a while to grow on me, and now I really like it. But I'm struck, having finished season 2, that there are no other themes I can discern. Lots of variation on the main theme, but that's it. It risks being repetitive. Even a reprise of some classic themes, when appropriate, would have been welcome.

Top Bottom