What's new

The end of soundtrack composers?

I only played a bit of The Walking Dead episode 1 and Game of Thrones episode 1, and to me those feel kind of like a multiple choice test - a weird mix of tedious, stressful and boring. I always felt I'm missing out on half the content. I much prefer a linear story like in The Last Of Us.

The Last of Us is amazing and a definitive argument for plot-driven narratives in video games if ever there was one.

Also dat soundtrack <3

Honestly, I could not disagree more with this statement. My favorite genre of games are jRPGs and the deeper the story and character-development, the better. If you think that 'the best games' are only about gameplay you obviously haven't played Persona 5.

The idea that story-telling would not be one of the strengths of the format of Video Games is inherently faulty. It's like saying that Documentaries suck because films should exclusively deal with telling stories.

No. It's of course normal that people enjoy different things, and JRPGS are obviously popular, but I feel that your premise is actually inherently faulty. You're not enjoying the "game", but the narrative. Which is OK. People also love "visual novels". But just like storytelling in RPGs, that content can hardly be categorized as "game". It's a passive component in an active medium.

Many RPGs are captivating as a narration, but fairly shallow as games (there are exceptions of course). Which circles back to my assessment that games that excel at pure play are the ones that most effectively harness the best potential of the medium.

No. It's of course normal that people enjoy different things, and JRPGS are obviously popular, but I feel that your premise is actually inherently faulty. You're not enjoying the "game", but the narrative. Which is OK. People also love "visual novels". But just like storytelling in RPGs, that content can hardly be categorized as "game". It's a passive component in an active medium.

Many RPGs are captivating as a narration, but fairly shallow as games (there are exceptions of course). Which circles back to my assessment that games that excel at pure play are the ones that most effectively harness the best potential of the medium.

And yet again I have to disagree, because I cannot stand visual novels or games without gameplay. It needs both. My mentioned Persona 5 would've never worked without it's combination of amazing mechanics, wonderful music and gripping story. This is actually the strength of video games.

I actually do 'enjoy the game', as you say. Grandia isn't my favorite game ever because of it's (granted cliche) narrative, but the combination of Characters, Story, Exploration, Battle mechanics and its awesome Soundtrack.

I do not disagree most rpg's are fairly shallow, which is probably why, even as my favorite genre, I don't actually *like* many of them. But those I *do* like, have got it all. Not just one or the other. I firmly believe that games that only excel at pure play are *not* making effective use of the medium, at all.

Choosing sets would also be tons of fun. Imagine Game of Thrones in Hackensack, New Jersey for example. The Sopranos going about their business in a colony on Mars. The Kilgour Trout-like possibilities are endless.

Maybe cgi in dead actors too? Lawrence Olivier in Bridesmaids? The future looks bright indeed.

Cool... now you get work for multiple composers per movie for the audience to choose from.
Next step would be a wish list for the main actors per movie. I want Eddie Murphy as James Bond.

I firmly believe that games that only excel at pure play are *not* making effective use of the medium, at all.

But that was never what I said. I said that the games that excel at pure play are the best examples of the medium. But I didn't say that in a very good game cannot or must not have other qualities like narrative, presentation, music etc. Obviously the perfect package will always be the best.

But games start and end with play. If the core gameplay, which is always a cognitive and/or sensomotoric experience/challenge, isn't up to snuff, it's not a good game.

Great game design with great story, presentation etc. = great game.
Great game design with no story etc. = still a good, possibly still brilliant game.
A game with a captivating story, but dreadful core gameplay (or none to speak of) = not a good game.

Read the article, It sounds like a weak argument.

However this thread has some great contrasting opinions!

Last edited:
Can’t help but comment on the fact that many screenplays, and the resulting stories I am lucky enough to have worked on, pretty much all come from the same mold.

The three act, start from the point of no return to a climax, when all the world is at stake, and conclude in the end like nothing happened (lol).

There must be more to life then a greek tragedy retold add nauseum. (and a really destructive car chase)

Well, ok there is the thriller, that conservative construct where the ‘bad guy’ is ostracized from society so we can better define our borders of what’s safe and what’s not acceptable by pointing the finger at the ‘freak’. Ie every cop show like ‘Criminal minds’.

At least the hero’s quest plots are straight up, maybe that’s why I like LOTR so much.

I get the whole concept that we go from a state of ignorance to knowing, that’s the whole point of ‘falling in’ on a story, especially the hero’s quest, but I would love to see something new.

I'd heard people talking about this, but never knew what it was or what apparently made it special.

I don't regret canceling my Netflix subscription yet.

Maybe I read it too fast or my reading comprehension is off... but this article and ideallogy of choose your own sound track seems to be based on those radio hit songs that are placed on movies... like giving an option to choose 70s music or 80s music in what the dude from guardians of the galaxy2 listens when he puts on his head phones. But the score will remain the same from Tyler bates.

That idea seems fine if they implement correctly. Have a way for listeners to explore more sound tracks. Seems gimmicky to say the least, imo. It cool if it works. Maybe like video games style of entertainment.

I do see a more important issue w Netflix. Their strong will against paying good royalties and trying to do buy out of score to not pay royalties on their shows. That to me is way more important since streaming has taken over broadcast in all ways and forms... it somehow BMI and ascap haven’t realized it.

All I see this as is another attempt to keep people interested and engaged. Because it seems like movie makers are running out of original ideas, and we're still in the wild west as technology keeps progressing and changing how we watch movies and listen to music. So it's a time to "throw it on the wall and see what sticks".

Also, the article doesn't mention anything about "the end of soundtrack composers", only the OP does in his/her title, which is quite misleading.

Misle
Also, the article doesn't mention anything about "the end of soundtrack composers", only the OP does in his/her title, which is quite misleading.

Sure...that's why I started the thread...to get some thinking going....misleading?...then it served it's purpose for sake of discussion.

(...not like I'm a politician or anything!)

I think that if you gave people enough power to alter the music in their game, then at the same time you give them the ability to destroy the experience. I reckon something similar to cheat codes/god mode can happen: players can enjoy god mode for a short while, but at the same time they reduce the long-term enjoyment of the game. Having ultimate freedom in choosing your own soundtrack will mean that players may see it as fun to have death metal play during a romantic kiss scene, but that enjoyment is short-lived and will ruin long-term enjoyment. On top of that, choosing your own experience means you get the experience YOU can come up with. The experience someone else can come up with is more surprising.

Mmmhhh....maybe it even could be the opposite. Give the user some choices....but then you can compose 3 or more soundtracks for a movie/game. So more work for soundtrack composers :)

Misle

Sure...that's why I started the thread...to get some thinking going....misleading?...then it served it's purpose for sake of discussion.

(...not like I'm a politician or anything!)

You don't have to be a politician to create misleading, click-bait titles to your posts. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom