What's new

The Email Newsletter

Correct. An affiliate situation would make for a weird vibe here. I don't want any part of that.

My two cents: I actually think would be a fine idea for VI-C to be an affiliate and make bit off all the deals coming through the site. Maybe a dedicated forum with all the affiliate deals listed (not sure of the mechanics). I'd be happy to click through from VI-C for anything I'm interested in if it adds a bit to keep VI-C running.

As this is the vi-control forum surely someone by now should have stepped up, played Devil's advocate and say what an appauling idea this is and an abuse of one's inbox? So just to make this thread complete I'm going to insist I'm removed from the email list. (But Mike can you add me back on before you send the next email out please...)

Congratulations, Mike! First, the RealiBanjo... now VI-control... getting dangerously close to an empire, if not outright monopoly; which of course, is illegal.

Oh, and the newsletter is a great idea! Especially for the extremely busy and the extremely lazy.

Last edited:
By the way Mike did you change something on your avatar ?
Yep. Credit goes to @Saxer. Check out this thread: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/vi-c-needs-more-ms-paint-avatars.64927/

Btw, where did the fundraisers go?
We've moved them to this site: https://realitone.com Feel free to donate as much as you can. ;)

As this is the vi-control forum surely someone by now should have stepped up, played Devil's advocate and say what an appauling idea this is and an abuse of one's inbox? So just to make this thread complete I'm going to insist I'm removed from the email list. (But Mike can you add me back on before you send the next email out please...)
Ha! :grin:

My two cents: I actually think would be a fine idea for VI-C to be an affiliate and make bit off all the deals coming through the site. Maybe a dedicated forum with all the affiliate deals listed (not sure of the mechanics). I'd be happy to click through from VI-C for anything I'm interested in if it adds a bit to keep VI-C running.
I like the way you think! ;)

As far as keeping the forum running, there's no danger there. The forum is not nearly as profitable as the estimates some people made a few months ago, but it is definitely in the black. (Not that I'm Mr. Moneybags, but even if it wasn't, the expenses are modest, so I could keep it afloat.) With that said, I think it's great how generous and community-minded people are when topics like this come up. :cool:

Anyway, regarding an affiliate structure, my fear with doing something like that is that some people would then believe I play favorites with the developers who participate, since I would directly benefit if they do well. That suspicion is a headache I don't want to deal with. Even as it is now, at least once a week someone will claim the forum favors Spitfire. (As if their $799/year banner ad is all it takes to buy my servitude. Don't get me wrong, my morals are most definitely for sale, but 800 bucks??? Please. :grin: )

Even if perceived favoritism wasn't an issue, the bigger problem is that the income/work ratio would be too low. I'd have to email these guys to make deals, create custom links, make a payment structure, email again every time a new product is released or when a payment gets made ... ugh! The extra bucks would be nice, but ... the work! Plus, what do you want to bet that the developers who send me the biggest payouts would then want a discount on their banner ads? Ugh, ugh and ugh. It just isn't worth the headache, especially since my real gig is Realitone and composing, and VI-C already diverts enough time from those as it is.

So for now, at least, I'm just selling banner ads, since they're relatively easy. No doubt I'm leaving money on the table, but keeping life simple is my bigger goal at the moment.

Excellent idea Mike!! VI-control is my favourite place on the internet, and now my email inbox will become a better place too! :) Thanks to your email I’ll be checking an interesting thread tonight that I had missed. Keep up the good work!

As an old fart, I have to say, I'm a little partial to Frederick, but I'm also partial to you Mike, I think you will do a great job. :elephant:

I'm going to be sending out our first VI-Control newsletter later today or tomorrow, which I'm hoping to make a weekly thing. Undoubtedly people will have thoughts on it, good and bad, so here is the thread where everyone can comment and make suggestions.
Mike, I think its a great idea. I'll Bookmark this. If I can clear some time soon I'll respond if I have any ideas worthwhile. Otherwise, thanks for doing this.
g.c.

Mike, thanks for putting so much into VI-C! The newsletter was great, especially the "notable threads" is a very good idea.
That´s so much appreciated - but I have one little request: Every minute that you are writing a newsletter, is wasted time in terms of your waiting own customers... if you got money from that, you could at least pay someone else to work on your products, but hey ;)...!
So maybe (also in terms of my overflowing inbox) a bi-weekly newsletter would be sufficient.

Top Bottom