What's new

TENET

Decided to do another "Rainy Night in Tallinn" short cover now that I have access to a computer and Cubase LE 7 (upgrading to Elements soon since 8 VST instruments is just not enough at all).

Ashton's stuff is top notch and this is no different, really great work!

Pretty sure the below video is already on this thread, but worth seeing if you haven't already:

Reactions: KEM
I figured I'd finally pitch in on this thread, having watched the movie a few times now.
First: I think it's a really great score! It's a fantastic proof of concept that there is more gap to bridge between electronic music and orchestral music.
What this score does amazingly is to use the 'language' of electronic music, and the language of orchestral music, and blends them without losing the essence of either. It's story telling the way we know it from a 'regular' cinematic score, AND it's the pumping energy and patterns of electronic music. And it does it without feeling like it's switching back and forth between them.
The time reversal thing is interesting, and it does help with knowing in what direction time is flowing on screen, but it's not the smartest thing this score does. It was actually kind of obvious for a Nolan movie to feature this kind of thing. The seemless blending of musical languages seems far more impressive to me.

Last edited:
Lol

Awards and formal education are the same - they help, but they are NOT good indicators of your future.

Saw this earlier, not bad but I feel it’s too organic to relate it to TENET, replace the orchestra and “natural” instruments with sidechained synths and distorted guitars and it’d be much closer.

Saw this earlier, not bad but I feel it’s too organic to relate it to TENET, replace the orchestra and “natural” instruments with sidechained synths and distorted guitars and it’d be much closer.
Absolutely again. Need different instrumentation, as you noted, then the orchestra. Not a bad piece just not really TENETized.

Yeah I wasn’t impressed either. Yeah the reverse percussion is all over Ludwig’s score but where are the bombastic drum hits? The marching snares?

It's not that easy to see what makes Ludwig's Tenet score tick. If it was just orchestral/acoustic instruments, then sure, you can analyze and reproduce it. But a hybrid score that leans so heavily on unique sound design? Not so easy. Especially if you're bound by using only Spitfire stuff to try and approximate it.

Top Bottom