What's new

TENET

I heard some bits on youtube. I was a bit underwhelmed tbh, all sounded very one key pulsey underscore, like a morphestra demo from 2010. After the mandalorian and black panther, I expected something more out there.

I'll probably end up loving it once I get over the fact it isn't what I was expecting.

I heard some bits on youtube. I was a bit underwhelmed tbh, all sounded very one key pulsey underscore, like a morphestra demo from 2010. After the mandalorian and black panther, I expected something more out there.

I'll probably end up loving it once I get over the fact it isn't what I was expecting.

It definitely is very synth bass arp heavy, but I can promise you that it’s cranked up to 11, I haven’t heard it done this way before. There’s also some incredible guitar work in the score that hasn’t really be showcased in any of the trailers or previews, all they ever really let us hear was the main synth arp theme

Score leaked today and it is absolutely incredible. Ludwig Göransson has once again proven he’s the best in the industry!

Would love to see how everyone else feels about it
Really ? Well I respect his work but after watching the film I was just tired. Tired of music mostly which never happens to me. I love films which give music place to shine but Tenet isn't making place for music. It's pushing music into your ears all the time and also against the picture. It's pushing tempo even there's nothing really happening on the screen. It's pushing tension to it's limits when it's just subtle dialogue. I have mixed feeling about this film and the score.
Perhaps I'll appreciate this score more when I listen to the album, but in a film it's just so tiring I honestly wanted to get out of cinema in first half of the film.

Just saw TENET and was blown away by the music. It is so in your face and powerful. Even though its a lot of pulsing and bass arps which have been done laods before, I thought it was a really refreshing and interesting take on it. It has this raw tone that compliments the film so prefectly. I think you'll only experince the full effect until you hear it as loud as it is in the film.

Music was okay - although tbh - I was underwhelmed. Give me Inception or Interstellar over this. Actually same with the film also...

Just got back from my first viewing!!!

My mind is completely scrambled and I’m still trying to process what I just watched, but I can definitely say it was amazing!!

As for the music, with context it was even better, and I’ve never heard bass like that in a theater before, my entire body was shaking and it was an incredible experience!!!

The music in the prologue was absolutely amazing, can’t wait to re listen! If I’m honest as the film mix was bad the score kind of got a bit lost towards the end of the film with all the SFX & dialogue

I have to admit, I love the direction Ludwig Göransson is going with his soundtracks. No wonder, because I like the sound world of Neurofunk and am a big fan of the weekly Noisia radio show. Since I haven't seen the film yet, I can't judge whether film and music form a unit. But I can well imagine that the music is no longer just used to support image information. I like that emancipatory aspect.

The music works, but wasn't interesting. It sounds a bit like a Depeche Mode sample through a wobble-and-distort pedal. My daughter, OTOH, was impressed. She called it "minimalist".

The movie itself is worse than Inception: it tries to bury the plot holes by very fast action editing, and tedious dialogs. Visually, it's a thing to behold, though.

I suppose a "pre-sequel" is in the works, supporting this movie in a pincer movement...

I was thinking I wouldn't get to see it but there is a https://cwtheaters.com/watertown/cwx (CWX)theater near me that was only open for a few weeks before shutting down in March, and yesterday they re-opened, had a Tenent screening that night, and there were only two seats sold so I decided it would probably be my safest opportunity to see it. I sat in the parking lot before to make sure it didn't sell a lot more tickets right before, then geared up in a double mask and black gloves, not unlike a character in a Nolan movie, and went on in.

I was literally the only person in the theater. I felt very fortunate that about the isolated experience in such a high quality theater, and that this was the first movie seeing on the big screen since February. When that thing started and the Dolby sound kicked in I felt a flood of emotion.

The movie was amazing, and the score had me fired up. So good to hear music so loud again. I thought it did a great job of maintaining that beautifully dark and heavy, almost chrome feeling sheen that Zimmer has brought to Nolan's other films, while also pulling out some new sounds and timbres that made it feel fresh and unique. Some of the reverse sounds were used really well and just the right amount, it could have easily been overdone. I try not to judge scores on a first viewing too analytically, as I want to be open to someone creating a new experience that challenges my judgements or expectations, rather than appeals to them.

Along the same lines, I think Nolan criticism gets weighed a lot heavier because of who he is, but I always feel like "come on!" we are so lucky to have someone making films like this, are you kidding? Every film doesn't need to be considered better or worse than another, or fitting somewhere on a list. If any other filmmaker came out with a movie like this people would lose their f'ng mind. I'll take a Nolan caliber film actually taking big swings and executing at such high level, especially on a re-watch, over any other "blockbuster" MCU film, and I love most of those (at least in the theater).

Now I definitely didn't get a lot of what goes on in this movie after only one watch, but the fact that I still loved every moment is saying something. For me it is really important to have that trust in the film-making team that they know what they are doing, even if I don't understand it all on the first viewing.

Top Bottom