What's new

SYNCHRON-ized Plucked Instruments

Is it possible to buy the synchron-ized Upright Bass separately and, if not, why does VSL not want my money? ;)

It's weird to lock products in bundles whose previous versions were available as stand-alones.
It's even weirder when said bundle contains instruments from mostly wildly different musical styles (if you do Jazz, are you really looking for a 7-String electric guitar? If you do metal, are you really interested in an Upright bass and a nylon string guitar?) It's a bit like bundling a harmonica with an oboe, just because people blow into both...

Is it possible to buy the synchron-ized Upright Bass separately and, if not, why does VSL not want my money? ;)

It's weird to lock products in bundles whose previous versions were available as stand-alones.
It's even weirder when said bundle contains instruments from mostly wildly different musical styles (if you do Jazz, are you really looking for a 7-String electric guitar? If you do metal, are you really interested in an Upright bass and a nylon string guitar?) It's a bit like bundling a harmonica with an oboe, just because people blow into both...
No, we do not sell these seperately. If we offered each VI instrument as SYized single instrument we would almost double the number of products we offer - adding a lot of complexity especially for new users.

Instead we decided to offer the SYized instruments in bundles at very attractive prices.

The price is right, and I understand the packaging constraints regarding product management.

The Nylon Guitar is actually the PRIMARY rhythm/chordal instrument in MUCH of Latin American Jazz; especially in Brasil but not just there. So it's not as odd of a pairing as some might think.

I personally despise the electric guitar, but don't feel like I spent money specifically on that instrument. Electric guitars in general sound like vacuum cleaners to me; no dynamics or expression, and a piercing tone that is also hideous. I was so happy when my guitarist who is in two of my jazz combos switched to arch-top guitar last year. Such a difference!

Some modern composers use solid-body electric guitar; I have never been able to tolerate it in that context.

But as for jazz, it often is more dominant in Fusion oriented music than other types of guitar. Not an Ibanez though; usually a Telecaster. I think this one is designed mostly for modern orchestral music that features some electric guitar bits here and there.

No, we do not sell these seperately. If we offered each VI instrument as SYized single instrument we would almost double the number of products we offer - adding a lot of complexity especially for new users.

Instead we decided to offer the SYized instruments in bundles at very attractive prices.

Thank you for your rapid response, that helps!

To be frank, I wasn't expecting EVERY VI instrument that was SYized to be offered as a single instrument, but I equally wasn't expecting a highly individual, specific instrument that was previously sold separately to only be available in its best form as part of a really unusual bundle (anyone feel free to point me to any other similar bundle that combines three such disparate instruments, with all due respect to Latin American Jazz / Bossa Nova with 7-String Lead or Rhythm Guitars).

Obviously I'm just a single data point, however I don't feel protected from complexity by this; Instead I am discouraged from entering the VSL Synchron (libraries in general) ecosystem, causing me to shrug and simply look elsewhere for an upright bass library. Other users' experiences may be different, of course, and what irritates me may be great for them...

The VI version is still available, & they are essentially the same samples.
As for being discouraged from the entire ecosystem, by the same logic you could boycott any library that doesn't sell individual instruments out of a larger collection. I get that you feel that this specific bundle is an odd selection, but applying that line of thinking to collections that are more "cohesive" makes no sense to me.

I personally despise the electric guitar, but don't feel like I spent money specifically on that instrument. Electric guitars in general sound like vacuum cleaners to me; no dynamics or expression, and a piercing tone that is also hideous. I was so happy when my guitarist who is in two of my jazz combos switched to arch-top guitar last year. Such a difference!

Where's my tar and feathers?

• Haha
Reactions: Ben
The VI version is still available, & they are essentially the same samples.
As for being discouraged from the entire ecosystem, by the same logic you could boycott any library that doesn't sell individual instruments out of a larger collection. I get that you feel that this specific bundle is an odd selection, but applying that line of thinking to collections that are more "cohesive" makes no sense to me.

(I don't want to turn this thread into a thread about me and my purchasing decisions, but I'm not sure I got my main point across)

"Boycott" sounds overly dramatic. I'm just not interested in having to buy stuff I don't want to get the stuff that I do want, I have plenty guitars already and as a customer I value choice, so, without any hard feelings, for the time being I'll look elsewhere where I am offered that choice. The ecosystem thing: if a developer might make future, improved versions of an instrument only available in curious bundles, that's not a huge deal or risk, but it does affect my purchasing decision (especially if they already have a bit of a reputation for handling bundles in ways that aren't universally loved).

I am not expecting every single instrument to be sold individually, no matter what, neither by VSL nor anyone else. However, we're talking here about an instrument that was (and still is) being sold individually in its old form and now has been updated, so if you want that, the GUI /workflow improvements and according to some who own both improved scripting, you're now expected to buy two other instruments along with it, because they happen to be excited the same way and I guess they didn't fit in the standard orchestral collections (I mean, might as well go all the way and toss in a harp, too, those are plucked, right? :emoji_wink:) If you liked a car model and the latest version of it came out and you suddenly could only buy it if you also buy a motorcycle and a surfboard along with it, would that not seem strange to you?

I am not against bundles. I am not against, where appropriate, for instance bundling orchestral sections, obviously, and only making them available that way. Or instrument variations (guitar bundles with electric, acoustic, nylon, even bass guitars make sense). Or stylistic bundles (like Swing! and Swing More!). Some developers like Orchestral Tools and 8dio are even starting to sell individual instruments out of perfectly sensible orchestral section libraries, and it's been a well-received move, but it's perfectly ok (great, even!) for each developer to have their own marketing strategy. Some just make more sense to me and I'll gravitate towards those, while others have me going "wait, what?" and moving on. *shrug*

Agreed. I bought the bundle because I wanted a good upright acoustic bass (and this one is really good), but I have zero use for the guitars and I do resent having to pay for them.

It's such an odd combination. Bundling the acoustic bass with a sax or a brushed drum kit, even a piano would make sense, but a heavily distorted Steve Vai 7-String Ibanez?

The VSL electric sounds like someone's strangling a duck, and the sheer amount of programming required to make it sound barely passable makes it a total non-starter for me.

Lemme add to the chorus in liking the Syncronized upright to be sold separately.

I considered purchasing it when the bundle came out, but ultimately decided against it because I wouldn't use the guitars.

I also think that to mantain the full modular approach that VSL has managed to do for quite a long time, which I like a lot, they should consider selling Synchron instruments individually like they did for the Vienna Instrument Pro.

Cheers,

Max T.

Can any body answer me that is there only regular down strum in concert guitar?
Did I miss anything?
but in the original version:
- battende is the "normal upstroke"
- pull the "normal downstroke"

Top Bottom