What's new

Suggestions for atonal atmospheres?

Syncopator

I hear these atonal atmospheres in so many scores—and not just new scores (which are more and more experimental). For example, Thomas Newman used atonal atmospheres nearly 25 years ago in 'The Green Mile,' etc. I keep asking around, but no one seems to be able to explain to me how these sounds are created. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone here might have.

(Note: I'm NOT talking about orchestral clusters. I know how to write those. The sounds I'm talking about are NOT orchestral sounds. They may be mixed in with the orchestra in scores, but they're not made by orchestral instruments.)

Thanks.

I keep asking around, but no one seems to be able to explain to me how these sounds are created.
I saw the other thread on this subject, and it looked to me like people had a lot of suggestions. Since it seems like you have a very specific idea of what you are looking for, maybe it would be helpful to provide some audio clips illustrating exactly what it is you're after.

I tried googling for: atonal vst. It looks like there are a few good hits which might be of interest to you (Heavyocity Gravity among others)

I tried googling for: atonal vst. It looks like there are a few good hits which might be of interest to you (Heavyocity Gravity among others)
Thank you for the suggestion. I own Gravity and have yet to find the kinds of sounds I've described in that library. I'd love to be wrong, so if anyone believes I've overlooked this kind of material in Gravity, please let me know.

I saw the other thread on this subject, and it looked to me like people had a lot of suggestions. Since it seems like you have a very specific idea of what you are looking for, maybe it would be helpful to provide some audio clips illustrating exactly what it is you're after.
Thanks. Here's one example of a cue containing a good bit of atmospheric sound design without discernible pitch.

Thanks. Here's one example of a cue containing a good bit of atmospheric sound design without discernible pitch.

Gravity does these kind of atonal underscore beds really easily, try the pads presets.

View attachment Gravity Atonal Pads.mp4

It's also really easy to make beds like this. You just need a huge reverb like Supermassive. Metal timbres often work well, bells, cymbals, etc, (but not necessary), then you just try stuff like tuning samples down one or two octaves and putting them through the reverb 100 percent wet. Once you bounce down some timbres you like just pull them into a sampler and adjust the attack and release time to taste.

I did this in a couple of minute, if you actually spend the time to find better timbres the results will be a lot more interesting than this...

View attachment DIY Atonal Drones - Detune + Long Reverb.mp4

Gravity does these kind of atonal underscore beds really easily, try the pads presets.

View attachment Gravity Atonal Pads.mp4

It's also really easy to make beds like this. You just need a huge reverb like Supermassive. Metal timbres often work well, bells, cymbals, etc, (but not necessary), then you just try stuff like tuning samples down one or two octaves and putting them through the reverb 100 percent wet. Once you bounce down some timbres you like just pull them into a sampler and adjust the attack and release time to taste.

I did this in a couple of minute, if you actually spend the time to find better timbres the results will be a lot more interesting than this...

View attachment DIY Atonal Drones - Detune + Long Reverb.mp4
This is immensely helpful. Thanks!!

You shouldn’t need to get Gravity for this. Here’s two inexpensive Kontakt options:

You shouldn’t need to get Gravity for this. Here’s two inexpensive Kontakt options:

Very interesting. Thanks!

Top Bottom