What's new

Suggestions for a top notch digital piano?

Anyway, back to Kawai, I love the feel of the CA98 for the vibrations, as it reminds me of the Mason & Hamlin that I grew up with (a unique bracing system vs. other manufacturers), but I have a feeling the Clavinova top-model actually has the best action (this is why I look forward to comparing side-by-side at the same place on the same day). The Clavinova felt BETTER to me than U-series acoustic uprights; a bit more like a Grand Piano. My recollection is that the CA-series felt like a really good upright.

When I was shopping for mine I hated all the Clavinovae but fell in love with the Kawai, so it's very much horses for courses. ;)

Not necessarily; I exclusively like the latest Clavinova CLP685PE top-end model that I listed earlier; it is the only one to have the new uber-grand action. I dislike the others in that series.

I think it came out the beginning of this calendar year. It feels a lot different than the next model down, which is the CLP675 as I recall. But I didn't like its room sound AT ALL; only the headphone sound.

So you're able to get by with no escapement? Not everyone needs it, of course.

As far as I can recall, the entire P-series (including P-515) is sans escapement (CP-series also?).

Last edited:
I got rid of my Nord Electro with the SW action which is not weighted. I almost replaced with a Nord with weighted action but that was still a little too sluggish. So I got a Korg Kronos which has the best action of any imo. Herbie Hancock plays one for that reason as well I would think. Plus with numerous assignable faders and switches it’s a perfect controller.

So you're able to get by with no escapement? Not everyone needs it, of course.

As far as I can recall, the entire P-series (including P-515) is sans escapement (CP-series also?).
The P-515 has escapement:

Ah yes, now I remember, that's the one that is more like a CP-series than P-series Digital Piano. I never saw one in a store so forgot about it, but at the time it was first announced, it created some buzz over in the Keyboard Corner. I'll have to see if DC Pianos has that when I make my visit for a Kawai vs. Yamaha shootout of higher-end models across the portable and home lines.

Since the Kronos is heavy and has so many surface controllers protruding, I picked up the little brother to the 515. Very light, same action and good sounding pianos, elec pianos, organ etc. (but very few.) Great for gigging.
P115

Edit: Ha - discontinued. I will see what’s replaced it.

This P125

The point being that these sell in the $500 range new (without stand.)

Last edited:
Recently went to a Kawai dealer and played the CA98. Really nice. Seriously considering selling my Nord Stage 2ex for an MP11se...... I don't need the portability anymore as I have an Electro for the road now.

I tried the Nord Grand and Kronos in PMT in Manchester last week. The Nord was very good indeed. The Kronos keyboard felt absolutely awful to me. It felt like I was playing a nintendo - the keys have no texture on them either. The salesman did say, however, that his friend has a Kronos, and the keybed becomes much much better when worn in. It takes ages fro them top start up too.

They also had a Roland V Piano that they are trying to shift for about £ 1800. Very nice to play, but a bit dated now I think, and way too large for where I'd want to put it. But it felt terrific to play.

It's all very much personal taste. The Roland RD2000 has a very good wooden action - apparently. I just don't seem to click with it. Which is odd as I liked the RD700GX keybed when I had one.

I'll just have to rough it with the Kawai Shigeru Grand I played at the Kawai dealer. Sigh.....

I think it's not "worn in"....I think I've played 10 Korg RH3 actions between various Kronos and CP1s (is that the little vintage looking stage piano with the tube?)....they all felt good but very different. It's not the best piano action, IMO/E--it's the best "piano but still can use it for general purpose" action. Not subtly different. I find more authentic feeling DPs are utterly useless to play a synth/organ/tapping drums....and most weighted keyboards from say Yamaha or Nord SO far from "piano like"....I think the RH3 is a wonderful comporomise--but that's what it is.

And the CP1s have always had better action for some reasons than the Kronos--including mine, which in turn feels a little nicer than some I've played on showroom floors....

They had issues in the very beginning with the Chinese built keybeds-my guesses that they're ALSO inconsistent unit to unit. Thus the mixed reviews.

YMMV.

Top Bottom