What's new

Suggestions for a top notch digital piano?

SupremeFist

Anyway, back to Kawai, I love the feel of the CA98 for the vibrations, as it reminds me of the Mason & Hamlin that I grew up with (a unique bracing system vs. other manufacturers), but I have a feeling the Clavinova top-model actually has the best action (this is why I look forward to comparing side-by-side at the same place on the same day). The Clavinova felt BETTER to me than U-series acoustic uprights; a bit more like a Grand Piano. My recollection is that the CA-series felt like a really good upright.
When I was shopping for mine I hated all the Clavinovae but fell in love with the Kawai, so it's very much horses for courses. ;)

Mark Schmieder

Not necessarily; I exclusively like the latest Clavinova CLP685PE top-end model that I listed earlier; it is the only one to have the new uber-grand action. I dislike the others in that series.

Mark Schmieder

I think it came out the beginning of this calendar year. It feels a lot different than the next model down, which is the CLP675 as I recall. But I didn't like its room sound AT ALL; only the headphone sound.

Mark Schmieder

So you're able to get by with no escapement? Not everyone needs it, of course.

As far as I can recall, the entire P-series (including P-515) is sans escapement (CP-series also?).

Last edited:

Dave Connor

I got rid of my Nord Electro with the SW action which is not weighted. I almost replaced with a Nord with weighted action but that was still a little too sluggish. So I got a Korg Kronos which has the best action of any imo. Herbie Hancock plays one for that reason as well I would think. Plus with numerous assignable faders and switches it’s a perfect controller.

Fleer

Feeding the Trolls
So you're able to get by with no escapement? Not everyone needs it, of course.

As far as I can recall, the entire P-series (including P-515) is sans escapement (CP-series also?).
The P-515 has escapement:

Mark Schmieder

Ah yes, now I remember, that's the one that is more like a CP-series than P-series Digital Piano. I never saw one in a store so forgot about it, but at the time it was first announced, it created some buzz over in the Keyboard Corner. I'll have to see if DC Pianos has that when I make my visit for a Kawai vs. Yamaha shootout of higher-end models across the portable and home lines.

Dave Connor

Since the Kronos is heavy and has so many surface controllers protruding, I picked up the little brother to the 515. Very light, same action and good sounding pianos, elec pianos, organ etc. (but very few.) Great for gigging.
P115

Edit: Ha - discontinued. I will see what’s replaced it.

This P125

The point being that these sell in the $500 range new (without stand.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom