What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

Just listening to S2E1 back from April where they interview Bear McCreary. It’s such a fascinating conversation. It’s partly why I posted a track from 10 Cloverfield Lane yesterday because he was taught by one of the greats - Elmer Bernstein. I think it’s so important that these skills are passed on and there is a direct link with past present and future composers. It’s also why I value this forum so highly because it’s populated by so many great talents and the wealth of knowledge, level support and collaboration is invaluable. Yes, I do post too much stupid stuff. But I also read a lot of fantastic posts and value this community very highly. I think there is sometimes too much negativity. It’s important that we remain respectful and helpful, rather than demean and belittle. I have read some very harsh comments on other threads and think they crossed the line. Yes, be honest, but do so without getting personal.

Sorry, went on a bit there haha! :roflmao:

(P.S. Those last comments are not directed at you synkrotron - just talking generally!)

This is absolute bollocks. As far as I’m concerned you’ve NEVER posted anything remotely stupid. ;)

Lining up a link to “Revolution 9” for later I hope?

Makes sense. Might be better to jump on it later when some updates and bug fixes have been sorted, and the noise has subsided a bit.
Very kind of you to make me try and feel better about it! Genuinely looking forward to the excitement as everyone gets hold of the library for the first time and hoping that things don't take a sharp turn towards the dark side.

I'll be watching. Refreshing the thread whilst troughing on popcorn/a certain brand of chocolate usually purchased around Christmas.

This is absolute bollocks. As far as I’m concerned you’ve NEVER posted anything remotely stupid. ;)

Lining up a link to “Revolution 9” for later I hope?
How dare you...you...oh....was getting ready for a fight after that first sentence...glad I read on. lol Thanks man.

:2thumbs:

It’s on the shortlist. We’ll see... ;)

Very kind of you to make me try and feel better about it! Genuinely looking forward to the excitement as everyone gets hold of the library for the first time and hoping that things don't take a sharp turn towards the dark side.

I'll be watching. Refreshing the thread whilst troughing on popcorn/a certain brand of chocolate usually purchased around Christmas.
We’re on the same boat.

I won’t be buying it right now but probably later, when my I issue my new yearly music budget. Usually around BF/Xmas. ;)

And also, I bought SStB pro & SStW pro this year and want to use them more before replacing them...

Hi all,

My post il a little HS but note that if you actually enter the code "score" at the time of payment, you get an additional 30% discount on nearly all Spitfire Audio products on their site, (except the new BBCSO), even those already enjoying a promotional offer ... in fact up to 60% off some products! ;)

Enjoy!
Doesn't work for me. :(

The "advertising" is where the promo code for discount on SA products was announced, back at the start of October. The promo code is mentioned near the beginning of the podcast and near the end.
ah, thanx for clarifying I thought the advertising wan't even your doing.
still does not explain how it is possible that I've missed a spitfire sale or why I have such a shitty karma that I got the info just after it was out of date..

Ok, I've had a complete look at the video now, but I still don't see how you can do the song better with BBCSO. Maybe it'll be better if I watch it again? o_O
Yes, some things are always better upon a second listen. Pay particular attention to bar 59,724 - it brought a tear to my eye.:emoji_cry:

Actually, no!
A recent Studio Series purchase plus a new baby in the house has kinda put the brakes on.
As a Spitfire fan, BBC fan and stiff-upper-lip brit, it's 100% inevitable that I'll take the plunge at some point, perhaps later in the year if the music-income gods are kind.

In the meantime, I'm happy to follow the thread for news and "bantz."
A

I'm in a somewhat different situation... I preordered BBCSO, but as my family and I are repatriating back to the US this week, and my computer/keyboard won't arrive until early-mid November, I will have the SSD in my hands and no way to use it while I listen/drool/cry over all the great music starting to appear on VI. I'll will be taking copious notes though... so still very excited for the launch day.

T-Minus...

Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125, (1824) 4th Movement (condensed version) by Ludwig van Beethoven.
Flash Mob performance in Plaça de Sant Roc, Sabadell, Spain by Vallès Symphony Orchestra, the Lieder, Amics de l'Òpera and Coral Belles Arts choirs on 19th May 2012:

"Blue Rondo à la Turk" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 9/8 time, played as 2+2+2+3 and 3+3+3, with some alternating sections of 4/4. Released in 1959; this performance is from 1962:

John Lennon talks about "Revolution 9" (1968) by The Beatles (duh!). Interview from 1974:

Bonus track:
9 Hours of: 639 Hz Solfeggio Frequency to Attract Love ❤ & Raise Positive Energy
(read some of the Youtube comments for a giggle):

• 9 is the only positive perfect power that is one more than another positive perfect power, by Mihăilescu's Theorem.
  • In Mesoamerican mythology, The Lords of the Night is a group of nine deities who each ruled over every ninth night forming a calendrical cycle.
  • The Mayan underworld Xibalba consists of nine levels.
  • In J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth, there are nine rings of power given to men, and consequently, nine ringwraiths. Additionally, The Fellowship of the Ring consists of nine companions.
  • There was a superstition among some notable classical music composers that they would die after completing their ninth symphony. Some composers who died after composing their ninth symphony include Ludwig van Beethoven, Anton Bruckner, Antonin Dvorak and Gustav Mahler.

Finally caught up, reading this thread while nursing a cold, and - hey, maybe my ears are off - but the brass walkthrough sounded pretty damn good! :)

if you compare the horns top dynamic at 1:06 (long) vs 0:30 (legato) vs 2:44 (cuivre) you can hear the difference between the top dynamics. Same for comparing the trumpets cuivre (10:02) to normal longs (9:35).

I think the dynamics are widely sampled enough to be serviceable and not limiting. The lowest dynamics are really nice... like they're barely resonating their instruments. Fortissimo seems available unless my sense of balance is all off.

Top Bottom