What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

So... the introductory price of $749 runs through 11/04, and then drops back to that price again on Black Friday?

Then again at Christmas.

I think this BBC version should be a hard fixed price personally, the one it's at now. It would fit with the whole community vibe thing and "universal starting point" they are promoting.

Seems strong offering and good Intro pricing .... but size /cost makes me wish for Lite version with minimal Upgrade cost .... a la SF _ Core / Pro, or Audiobro.

Purchase at Intro requires large new SSD(s), :crying:

Last edited:
Hey all; - when making an atmos mix we suggest -

"Atmos front and rear" are designed to go into the x.x.4
Essentially the "Sides" can go where ever the mixer feels good to them
Tree/Outs in the LCR and Amb/Balcony in the rear.
Close/Mids in LR

But of course - its horses for courses, its like you have the multitrack right there and you can mix it to your taste.

Thanks,

Paul

Seems strong offering and good Intro pricing .... but size /cost makes me wish for Lite version with minimal Upgrade cost .... a la SF _ Core / Pro, or Audiobro.

Purchase at Intro requires large new SSD(s), :crying:
I’m closely watching Samsung T5 SSD pricing :)
Then again, that Spitfire SSD contains one of the latest and greatest Samsung drives.

For BBCSO... I'm running low on storage... rather than drop $200 on the Spitfire SSD, I'll likely buy another one of these... (see below) I already have one with two 1TB SSDs. And then pick up a 2TB 2.5" SSD for around $200-225. So for 50% more than the Spitfire SSD, I'll have 2TB and can later drop in another 2TB for a total of 4TB in that enclosure. I have pretty fast internet speeds so downloading is of no concern.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1297767-REG/owc_other_world_computing_owcmemdc2kit_mercury_elite_pro_dual.html/?ap=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiILsBRCGARIsAHKQWLM1Gbf5TNjTEL05gYDYLiUQ83T5fBzZHoBELTb8F8aynojHuhd5u6waAv-vEALw_wcB

It looks like this library is what has finally backed me into a corner with my current iMac. The CPU is under minimum specification, my internal SSD will lose a lot of breathing room with this installed, and as far as I understand it, streaming samples from an external SSD via USB 2.0 or Thunderbolt (my only options on a 2011 machine) is a fool's errand.

Hope family is generous this Christmas....

It looks like this library is what has finally backed me into a corner with my current iMac. The CPU is under minimum specification, my internal SSD will lose a lot of breathing room with this installed, and as far as I understand it, streaming samples from an external SSD via USB 2.0 or Thunderbolt (my only options on a 2011 machine) is a fool's errand.

Hope family is generous this Christmas....
Hey Miket. As you know, we’ve got the same machine. I have an SSD on thunderbolt (gen 1) and it works great. Maybe not as rapid as newer standards but perfectly useable. If you want I’ll post a video of a large library loading so you can get a feel for the speed.
A

I had a feeling I'd been wrong about that all this time... that changes everything! Are you using an enclosure, or just an adapter cable?

Last edited:
Thunderbolt definitely wins on I/O latency, if you compare results from CrystalDiskMark USB 3 SSDs will have drastically reduced performance on the "4kB files at random positions" test because of the interface's access delays (I actually have the SanDisk Extreme 2TB - bandwidth for copying a large file is comparable to internal SATA3, while the 4K test is ~10x slower). I haven't found it to be too much of a problem with Kontakt streaming though - that's what the preload buffer is for.

I had a feeling I'd been wrong about that all this time... that changes everything! Are you using an enclosure, or just an adapter cable?
One of these:

Amazon product ASIN B00NV9LSGW

Not the cheapest option (there's the Thunderbolt "tax") but it's also USB3.1 so I can use it on the MacBook and when I eventually upgrade. There's always the Thunderbolt dock solution too. If you find a cheaper solution, I'm all ears! Right now though, the 1TB option is only £26 more than the Spitfire custom, so...

Whilst I realise that our 2011 machines are never going to be running 5 mic full-on orchestras, I'm betting there's enough spare CPU and I/O to get some work done if using just the tree or pre-made mixes.

I got this one like a year ago in a sale for about 180€ (1TB). Works nicely so far.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the demos must have been created with an incomplete/unfinished library, seeing as SA are still feverishly editing, scripting and ironing out bugs for release day. Whether this is normal practice I don’t know. So it seems to me those demos are an even more remarkable achievement, and yet despite those amazing demos we still have not yet heard the full potential of what will be possible.

Top Bottom