What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

VinRice

... i am a robot ...
I was interested in the possibility of Spitfire recording IRs in Maida Vale because a) it will be flattened in a year or two, and b) it will enable me to record my own sleigh bells and have them sound like Santa is indeed sitting in the same venue as the rest of the orchestra.

Seriously though, it would be amazing if we could blend in other dry libraries seemlessly to this one with a good convo. I did a quick search for Maida Vale IRs but it came up blank.
I think this is a fantastic idea. We know it's verboten at Air but the BBC needs every penny it can scrounge for its music program and that building is definitely coming down, so they may well be up for it. Interesting to know what Spitfire's attitude to this is/would be.

Noeticus

Motion Picture Producer
The IMPULSE RESPONSE that many are looking for from inside the MAIDA VALE STUDIO space already exists, as in, you can use the already recorded tail of a glockenspiel strike, or the hit of a triangle, from the BBCSO VST to import into Altiverb.

But then, I could be wrong. :)

see...

Last edited:
It's sweep from a studio monitor or bust for me, I never get the same results with just capturing transient sounds. AFAIK Altiverb only has correction for standardized clapperboards.

gtrwll

I'm not really that interested in sleigh bells...as far as I know, this whole library was recorded at Maida Vale, and everyone knows that the real name of Santa Claus is Joulupukki and he lives in Korvatunturi, Finland, and THAT's the place you write letters to when in need of authentic sleigh bell samples.

Last edited:

ed buller

The number of recorded timbre/volume layers is probably not a sensible metric for judgement.

On it's own perhaps not but I can assure you the most realistic Library I have ever used is Hans's. And in no small measure that is due to the fantastic programming that went into the samples and the number of those samples. The velocity layers in particular. If you had a violin player in your house and asked them to go from very soft to very loud you'll hear how different the sound is. It's not just a volume thing. The entire nature of the instrument changes. This is also true of Brass. Less in the woods but still. The dynamic markings used are there for a reason. Just listen to some good recordings

Just listen to the opening. Very low dynamic markings

best

ed

miket

To my consumer mind, I'd rather see less mic options
Again, I agree! This is definitely where I would suggest things be trimmed to make room for other content. They can even still be available, individually downloadable for those with the drive space and the need, but I'll take a great stereo mix in most cases.

LowweeK

Loïc D
I'm not really that interested in sleigh bells...as far as I know, this whole library was recorded at Maida Vale, and everyone knows that the real name of Santa Claus is Joulupukki and he lives in Korvatunturi, Finland, and THAT's the place you write letters to when in need of authentic sleigh bell samples.
Are there Quality Street out there ?

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
This is the earliest filmed recording of the BBC Symphony Orchestra from 1932, conducted by Adrian Boult, performing part of Elgar’s First Pomp and Circumstance March which includes Land of Hope and Glory:

I’m not sure if any restoration work has been done on the sound, but it is exceptionally clear considering the recording equipment is ancient. This is even before the ‘BBC Type A Marconi’ microphone circa 1934 which was used in Spitfire’s marketing for this library.

Interesting to compare the sonic properties of those older microphones with those of today. I think they hold their own and have immense character.

jbuhler

Film recordings of orchestra from even the late 1920s can sound surprisingly good. I've found this to be true of both Vitaphone discs, which can sound exceptional, and with Movietone sound on film. Since this film dates from 1932 it was likely sound on film, though I don't know for certain what British Pathé was using at that point or if New Empire Review was an imprint of British Pathé.

I'll add that these recordings likely sound far better today than they ever did at the time, not because the recordings have been cleaned up (though that might have happened too) but because reproducing sound in theaters designed for live musical performance was a much larger problem. The reproducing equipment was also a lot more finicky and required an experienced operator to run it effectively.

AndyP

So this man here posed as a Finn, and he swore they were original Finnish sleigh bells with at least 127 layers. But his strange British accent seemed strange to me.

CHScandi.jpg

OP
Fleer

Fleer

Feeding the Trolls
Worse even, I had to visit him with the faculty dean when I lectured at the Arctic Circle's Rovaniemi University and each of us had to sit on one of his knees. Visited the man's post office as well:

synthetic

Doubling the dynamic layers doubles the development cost of the library. Twice as much recording and editing. While adding mics... well it's not free, someone has to cut the samples and they have to host the data. But it's much more economical. And I don't think this thread would have 126 pages if the library cost $1750.

VinRice

... i am a robot ...
Doubling the dynamic layers doubles the development cost of the library. Twice as much recording and editing. While adding mics... well it's not free, someone has to cut the samples and they have to host the data. But it's much more economical. And I don't think this thread would have 126 pages if the library cost $1750.
Don't come here with your fancy financial realities. We demand perfection!

FinGael

So this man here posed as a Finn, and he swore they were original Finnish sleigh bells with at least 127 layers. But his strange British accent seemed strange to me.

View attachment 22548
The person you are looking for is not available at the moment.

"Have been really busy with putting the Finnishing touches to the library, and building an office for mr Claus in Edinburgh. See you all soon! Best regards, Rodney the Christmas Dinosaur, Rudolf and the rest of the team.

PS. Christmas may come sooner this year than you had expected."

Last edited:
Top Bottom