What's new

Soundtheory Gulfoss Update 1.9.1 comes with Gulfoss Live !

muziksculp

The biggest update for Gullfoss so far introduces new features, an improved equalizer engine and a new plugin called Gullfoss LIVE.

April 15, 2021 - Starting with version 1.9.0, Gullfoss now comes in two flavors. The established version of Gullfoss for mixing and mastering in the studio is accompanied by Gullfoss LIVE, which is optimized for low-latency situations like tracking and live mixing. At a latency of less than 2 milliseconds, compared to the approximately 20 milliseconds for the regular version, Gullfoss LIVE delivers pristine sound quality and all the same features. The sound gains a little more character as the low-latency algorithm treats transients differently. This difference also makes Gullfoss LIVE an alternative for mixing and mastering music styles with very pronounced transients.

With the new release, Gullfoss gains support for sidechain processing to enable stem mastering, content-driven ducking and creative sound-design. The EQ display gain scale can now be changed so that even the most subtle movements can be observed.

The new equalizer engine debuting with version 1.9.0 improves upon the renowned sound quality of Gullfoss. A new innovative algorithm delivers a smoother high-end and a warmer low-end that will satisfy the most critical listeners. At the same time the CPU performance is improved at very high sampling rates.

https://www.soundtheory.com/support

Last edited:
The biggest update for Gullfoss so far introduces new features, an improved equalizer engine and a new plugin called Gullfoss LIVE.

April 15, 2021 - Starting with version 1.9.0, Gullfoss now comes in two flavors. The established version of Gullfoss for mixing and mastering in the studio is accompanied by Gullfoss LIVE, which is optimized for low-latency situations like tracking and live mixing. At a latency of less than 2 milliseconds, compared to the approximately 20 milliseconds for the regular version, Gullfoss LIVE delivers pristine sound quality and all the same features. The sound gains a little more character as the low-latency algorithm treats transients differently. This difference also makes Gullfoss LIVE an alternative for mixing and mastering music styles with very pronounced transients.

With the new release, Gullfoss gains support for sidechain processing to enable stem mastering, content-driven ducking and creative sound-design. The EQ display gain scale can now be changed so that even the most subtle movements can be observed.

The new equalizer engine debuting with version 1.9.0 improves upon the renowned sound quality of Gullfoss. A new innovative algorithm delivers a smoother high-end and a warmer low-end that will satisfy the most critical listeners. At the same time the CPU performance is improved at very high sampling rates.

https://www.soundtheory.com/support

Also a 30% off sale for the new version until 4/28.

Ok cool. I'll try it. I always cut back on the high end in Gull so maybe the new algo makes that better.

I'm a bit hesitant to update while I'm in the middle of projects, if the sound has changed. Is there a compatibility switch or anything like that?

I'm a bit hesitant to update while I'm in the middle of projects, if the sound has changed. Is there a compatibility switch or anything like that?
I kinda want an undo, but the first update they did, significantly improved it. I'd like to hear the difference first.

Is this a free update if you own the current version?
yes, look at their homepage : https://www.soundtheory.com/support

....all previous purchasers of Gullfoss can download the latest versions, and get the two plug-ins for free! These versions should be compatible with all previous settings of Gullfoss in saved projects. Please note, however, that saved projects with the new versions are not compatible with previous versions of Gullfoss.

Same thing here - in middle of project....BUT if the eq is a MARKED improvement - it might be worth the risk. Has anyone 'heard' the difference (std not live)?

I updated after muddyblue gave me the clear.

I can't confirm nor deny a difference but here's my take on the regular version.
With the previous version I would usually move the bar on Gullfoss so it wouldn't work above 12k because I thought it introduces harshness.

I can't tell you if it's better but to me, after I put it on a track I didn't feel the need to move the Gullfoss red bar to 12k. Wasn't harsh sounding as I thought I remembered it. Maybe the update did help.
BUT
Could also my imagination since I can't AB with the old version and I think I want to believe that they did something cause they said they did.

It's not worse at least and didn't break anything.

Updated and runs just fine. I am sure it is psychosomatic - but does sound a 'tad' less harsh. Hey if it is true in my brain (and hopefully the client's) it IS true. ;)

Side chain implementation, fantastic! Been hoping for this. Also, for those saying it’s harsh, make sure you calibrate brightness to the source by using the tiny indicator down the bottom. Also, I nearly never use “recover”, just “tame”. Picked up that tip from Meyerson. This plugin can do wonders sometimes :)

I actually forgot I had this plugin until the update email reminded me. I threw it on the mix of a tune I'm working on currently and it brightened up in a good way, but it needs to be used in moderation. On the older version, I found that it would help on occasion but did not need it that often. It definitely sounded great today on an unfinished mix. Not sure about the purpose of the sidechain feature on this plugin but I don't use it on individual tracks or group tracks.

Top Bottom