What's new

Sonokinetic's Upcoming Strings Library. Your Expectations

Wow, that's a lot of money to delete. I admit I wasn't initially crazy about the sound, but some people were starting to get some nice sounds out of it. It did seem like it needed a bit of work to get it to your happy place.
You bet :( I had to get it though, I would never have been happy until I got it under my fingers (I am a LASS fanboy so I expected something amazing. I A/Bd it against all my libraries, no comparison. It sounded dull and dated to me. No realism. The legato out of the box, as wonky as it is, was the least of their problems.

Muzik, maybe you should create a thread of conjecture about what went wrong with MSS lol! My composer buddies and I have theorized that after years of piddling around with it, Audiobro realized it wasn't quite up to snuff tone-wise with current libraries. So they started "adding features" (remember when it was supposed to be released in December, then kept getting pushed off?) This would explain the bizarre 3 convo reverbs preloaded - maybe trying to hide the tone?

Once I finally figured out how to turn everything off (even the built-in EQ was on and muffling it!) I found its core tone sounded quite similar to LASS, just a bit warmer but less clear.

Also, oddly, the shorts had reverb tails but not the sustains. Seemed like one of the cello shorts was bone dry. Weird inconsistencies.

We also wonder if it truly was going to be LASS 3 but somebody got a hairbrained idea to beef it up with all these "features" and it morphed into MSS. After A/Bing MSS with LASS I'm actually really looking forward to LASS 3.

Ahhhh... I feel so much better getting this off my chest lol! Seriously, I was bummed. Had dragged my feet on projects expecting this to be the next-gen library. I think I've learned my lesson, but I do have a *little* hope for Sonokinetic :)

Strong disagree! We need more divisi libraries
Same for me. The full divisi control over every single player in Dimension Strings is fantastic. For me personally, the downside - which is ultra close mics on every player only - is not quite worth it. But LASS got the divisi approach right for me.

I hope this library has a great legato with different modes ( attack, soft or etc.).
Variable attack types on long notes is a very good point. I would love that too. Press the key softly and you get a soft note attack, hit it hard and you get an accented note attack. Berlin Strings has that, and it is a great feature.

I don't have any Sonokinetic libraries, but have they shown any previous glimmer of developing something that matches or surpasses the upper echelon of developers? Be it in a top tier recording space or some sort of novel technology approach?
What sets Sonokinetic's orchestral libraries apart from all other libraries for me is their recording space. Unlike any other current developer, they record in an actual concert hall. Not a studio, not a church. I think it contributes a lot to the fantastic sonics of their recordings. For me, the sound of their recordings is already a unique selling point.

Da Capo is never mentioned in the same breath as the usual suspects.
Almost certainly that's because it is a phrase based library. That's the niche Sonokinetic has created for themselves. I don't know the market for phrase based libraries too well, but I would say they are the leading developer for that.

I do agree with you that it would be unreasonable to expect a strings library that surpasses everything else on the market (a fate that MSS has partly been met with). I personally would be very happy if Sonokinetic created a library that is on par with current flagship string libraries (Orchestral Tools, VSL, Spitfire, Audiobro etc...). I hope they can pull off a feature set and consistency that matches these offerings, paired with the sonics of their recordings. Then, for me personally, it would be the strings library I would reach for most often. Simply because I love their concert hall recording sound.

We don't know yet whether this will be the case. But their past offerings make me confident that they can do it. Their phrase based libraries are programmed well in my opinion, and show a great quality assurance. And their Woodwinds Ensembles show their vision for full scale orchestral libraries. I do like that approach, so I am quite interested in this release.

DaCapo is not phrase based but it is an unusual GUI with limited articulations. You can, for instance, play just the violin, but you have to shut off the other sections.

DaCapo is not phrase based but it is an unusual GUI with limited articulations. You can, for instance, play just the violin, but you have to shut off the other sections.

Thanks for correcting. In that case it is comparable to Spitfire Albion and similar libraries. The GUI looks unusual indeed. The way they set up Ensemble Woodwinds looks more appealing and comprehensible to me.

What sets Sonokinetic's orchestral libraries apart from all other libraries for me is their recording space. Unlike any other current developer, they record in an actual concert hall. Not a studio, not a church. I think it contributes a lot to the fantastic sonics of their recordings. For me, the sound of their recordings is already a unique selling point.
Yes, the sound/timbre of their Strings is surely a strong selling point.

I didn't know they record in a Concert Hall, no wonder they sound so good, but hope we can also get a good dryer sound via close mics when needed.

I didn't know they record in a Concert Hall, no wonder they sound so good

Yes, their orchestral libraires (Tutti, Vivace, Da Capo, Grosso, Largo, Capriccio... Also some of their other libraries like Indie) were recorded in the concert hall of the congress center in Zlín. They also recorded an IR in that venue for Altiverb. If you don't own Altiverb, Sonokinetic offers a lower quality IR for free here:

FWIW, I've also just found out that Sonokinetic has worked with the Capellen Orchestra for some of their libraries (Tutti, Vivace, Da Capo, Minimal).

I wonder what the price of the upcoming Sonokinetic Strings Library would be ?

Any guesses ?

This says it all. It may be useless for you, but not to, like, 90% of the people here.

It is in 2021. Devs, get with the program. <3
I'm a bit confused. Seems like some people don't understand the difference between auto-divisi and real recorded divisi sections. I see people referring to divisi as a feature, but we are talking about real recordings, right?

I don't see anything useless about real recorded divisi sections. Gives the possibility of true voicing without sample buildup. And we would like to see more options in the market other than Audiobro's libraries. This is a good thing.

I'm really excited about Sonokinetic's library.
4zrcrs.jpg

Ok, lets speculate, why not. We don't know anything about the library yet except the fact that it will feature divisi section. That implies that it will be larger in scope. Recording real divisi sections doubles your recording time, which I think is one of the largest cost factors.

Then we can only use their Woodwind Ensemble library to fill in the blanks. There we can learn that Orchestral Strings will most probably use their 'Sonokinetic Articulation Control System':

'We’ve grouped the many many articulations into six logical categories, then sub-divided those. All the woodwinds instruments use the same system - and our future orchestral sections will do too. That’s right - woodwinds are only the start!'

(quoted from here: https://www.sonokinetic.net/products/classical/woodwinds-ensembles/)

Here is the quickstart guide for this SACS system, also showing what articulations we can roughly expect for the strings library:

ww-quickstart.jpg

If Sonokinetic recorded articulations at a similar depth to the Ensemble Woodwinds, and with divisi sections, it will have a lot of content.

All the bread and butter articulations, dynamics (with crescendo and decrescendo options both), Runs, special articulations...

If the Ensemble Woodwinds are any indication of what we can expect from their Strings, my guess for the price is 599$ full price, and maybe 450$ or 499$ at intro price. That would be slightly below Modern Scoring Strings without the legato expansion package.

Hi @muk ,

Thanks for your very good speculation about the price of the upcoming Sonokinetic Strings Library.

Comparing them to their Woodwinds Sections is a good analogy, and very logical as to what we can expect, I also learned a little about their SACS system, I didn't know about this.

I will wait for the release of Sonokinetic Strings, which I feel will sound very good, especially when compared with MSS which I didn't buy, and then decide which one to pick. I'm very optimistic about the Sonokinetic Strings, and wouldn't be surprised if I like them a lot, and eventually add them to my template.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Ok, lets speculate, why not. We don't know anything about the library yet except the fact that it will feature divisi section. That implies that it will be larger in scope. Recording real divisi sections doubles your recording time, which I think is one of the largest cost factors.

Then we can only use their Woodwind Ensemble library to fill in the blanks. There we can learn that Orchestral Strings will most probably use their 'Sonokinetic Articulation Control System':

'We’ve grouped the many many articulations into six logical categories, then sub-divided those. All the woodwinds instruments use the same system - and our future orchestral sections will do too. That’s right - woodwinds are only the start!'

(quoted from here: https://www.sonokinetic.net/products/classical/woodwinds-ensembles/)

Here is the quickstart guide for this SACS system, also showing what articulations we can roughly expect for the strings library:

ww-quickstart.jpg

If Sonokinetic recorded articulations at a similar depth to the Ensemble Woodwinds, and with divisi sections, it will have a lot of content.

All the bread and butter articulations, dynamics (with crescendo and decrescendo options both), Runs, special articulations...

If the Ensemble Woodwinds are any indication of what we can expect from their Strings, my guess for the price is 599$ full price, and maybe 450$ or 499$ at intro price. That would be slightly below Modern Scoring Strings without the legato expansion package.
Terrific analysis!

Reactions: muk
Maybe we will get to hear these strings in a teaser video next month, which starts tomorrow. :)

I'm also curious to know what type of legato (Fingered, or Bowed) will the upcoming Sonokinetic Strings library offer. Any guesses ?

What's interesting is that 8Dio also use that exact space, and their Century Brass and Strings libraries are recorded in Zlinn. So arguably you already have a library with the same tone and mics of Sonokinetic's upcoming string library. And Century sounds amazing. Wide and lush but without a decay that goes on for years. I'm personally going to compare the Sonokinetic to 8Dio's Century offering, because it might be that I already own a very, very similar library! In terms of room tone at least.

What's interesting is that 8Dio also use that exact space, and their Century Brass and Strings libraries are recorded in Zlinn. So arguably you already have a library with the same tone and mics of Sonokinetic's upcoming string library. And Century sounds amazing. Wide and lush but without a decay that goes on for years. I'm personally going to compare the Sonokinetic to 8Dio's Century offering, because it might be that I already own a very, very similar library! In terms of room tone at least.
Very interesting !

I didn't know that 8dio recorded their Century Strings in the same concert hall as the one Sonokinetic is using for their upcoming Strings. But there will be many variables that make them sound different, i.e. The Section size, Players, Mics, Scripting Technique, Legato Style, Dynamic Layers, ..etc.

Very interesting !

I didn't know that 8dio recorded their Century Strings in the same concert hall as the one Sonokinetic is using for their upcoming Strings. But there will be many variables that make them sound different, i.e. The Section size, Players, Mics, Scripting Technique, Legato Style, Dynamic Layers, ..etc.
Yes that seems to be a popular hall in Europe. I personally love that I can use Century strings or Brass, and a Sonokinetic phrase library, and it all perfectly slots into place. 8Dio also used it for their Legion series, and their AGE series, amongst other things I'm sure. Two Steps from Hell use it too. If I'm not mistaken, it's also the room Performance Samples uses! As you say, the developer's take will make the library feel different, as Performance Samples themselves prove very well with their recording style. Still, it's a great sounding space, and nice knowing that reverb early reflections and tail matches when cross-cutting these libraries.

Yes that seems to be a popular hall in Europe. I personally love that I can use Century strings or Brass, and a Sonokinetic phrase library, and it all perfectly slots into place. 8Dio also used it for their Legion series, and their AGE series, amongst other things I'm sure. Two Steps from Hell use it too. If I'm not mistaken, it's also the room Performance Samples uses! As you say, the developer's take will make the library feel different, as Performance Samples themselves prove very well with their recording style. Still, it's a great sounding space, and nice knowing that reverb early reflections and tail matches when cross-cutting these libraries.
Hi @Go To 11 ,

Thanks for the very interesting, and helpful feedback.

I didn't know Performance Samples uses the same hall as well. No wonder I'm tempted to buy their Con Moto Strings Bundle (currently on sale), I really like the sound of this library. Now I'm even more confident that I'm going to Love the sound of the upcoming Sonokinetic Strings Library :2thumbs:

Hi @Go To 11 ,

Thanks for the very interesting, and helpful feedback.

I didn't know Performance Samples uses the same hall as well. No wonder I'm tempted to buy their Con Moto Strings Bundle (currently on sale), I really like the sound of this library. Now I'm even more confident that I'm going to Love the sound of the upcoming Sonokinetic Strings Library :2thumbs:
Don't quote me on the Performance Samples one! I think I was able to work it out, and haven't had that view challenged since that came up. The others are definite though. Yeah, and again it will be great to mix and match - Con Moto for the legato and Sonokinetic for the shorts and some phrases, with 8Dio's arcs and sul tasto etc etc!

Don't quote me on the Performance Samples one! I think I was able to work it out, and haven't had that view challenged since that came up. The others are definite though. Yeah, and again it will be great to mix and match - Con Moto for the legato and Sonokinetic for the shorts and some phrases, with 8Dio's arcs and sul tasto etc etc!
Do you use Con Moto ? If you do, would you recommend them ?

Thanks.

Top Bottom