What's new

Solo strings, SWAM or Sample Modeling?

Hey, they're both great. I give the edge to Sample Modeling, but you really can't go wrong with either if you're looking for solo instruments (although SM's tone is better). Creating ensembles out of the SWAM strings is also a giant pain in the ass, however, and doesn't sound very good. The ensembles for Sample Modeling are great.

I'm a bit more tempted to buy SM Solo & Ensemble Strings since there is a reasonable discount now, but ... I'm still undecided.

OK so here's a test drive that I put some actual effort in. Turns out AM is exactly the thing I needed for chamber-sized JRPG type writing.

If you have midi data that you would be willing to share? It would be really interesting for (FF fans like us at least?) To hear a mock up like this performed by other libraries just to contrast how much different modeling really is as far as realism :)

If you have midi data that you would be willing to share? It would be really interesting for (FF fans like us at least?) To hear a mock up like this performed by other libraries just to contrast how much different modeling really is as far as realism :)

Sure thing! Be forewarned that it's the raw midi straight from my DAW (timing clams n' all), so you'll have to do a lot of adjusting to accommodate your libraries. But otherwise, here ya go:

Attachments

• Blinded By Light - SWAM Strings Test.mid
    191.2 KB · Views: 46
Thanks! It's 100% SWAM. The section sizes I built were 4,3,3,4,2 - not including the solo string tracks, which were there just to fill some holes in the arrangement.

I've checked your midi file, I found there is one track of ensemble for each part. How did you build that 4,3,3,4,2 section?
Have you edited parameters other than modulation?
Thank you for your sharing! Any further info will be appreciated.

I've checked your midi file, I found there is one track of ensemble for each part. How did you build that 4,3,3,4,2 section?
Have you edited parameters other than modulation?
Thank you for your sharing! Any further info will be appreciated.

Studio One has a feature that allows you to stack multiple instruments on a single track. If you build ensembles from solo instruments like I did, then you can use a similar system depending on your DAW of choice, ie. stacks, folders, etc. Or you can single-track each one and copy the midi over.

Studio One has a feature that allows you to stack multiple instruments on a single track. If you build ensembles from solo instruments like I did, then you can use a similar system depending on your DAW of choice, ie. stacks, folders, etc. Or you can single-track each one and copy the midi over.

Ok I see. I'm using Logic so I have to build it myself one track one instrument.

I wonder how to push the solo strings a bit further with the bus send reverb trick, because my treatment somehow still sounds too close, too loud.

Ok I see. I'm using Logic so I have to build it myself one track one instrument.

I wonder how to push the solo strings a bit further with the bus send reverb trick, because my treatment somehow still sounds too close, too loud.

You can try using Stacks in Logic. As for reverb, I did two stages - one room, one tail. I tend to scoop out some of the high frequencies in my reverbs, to avoid the strings sounding mushy and metallic.

I've done it quickly with SCS and SWAM.
SWAM Strings for solo and leaders. SCS as 4,3,3,3,2 ensemble layering in the back.

Please forgive my poor mixing skill. And of course there are still a few phrases and dynamic problems need to be fixed in this test version.
@Jacob Cadmus

Thanks for your replies, guys! So I get that both developers don't use "just" samples but it works more than a synthesizer? I am very intrigued in both products but have to do more research. Solo strings aren't on my top-want list but sooner or later I will feel different.

Just to be clear, Audio Modeling winds use a small number of samples, but their strings do not, only "waveguide synthesis": too "perfect" for realism?
I find their violin the best, (perhaps because the real violin has a nearer-to-perfect response?) and the lack of random "grain" in the sound is less noticeable in a mix.

Some find Sample Modeling's strings still too smooth, but I like the way they sound even better than my own playing!....

I got SWAM strings v2 (which was based on tech from Sample Modeling before they broke up into two companies), and it worked wonders with my ROLI Seaboard. However, after upgrading to v3 (which was a total revamp utilizing proprietary tech not developed with/by Sample Modeling), it totally lost its playability and sound IMHO. I sold my copy, but happily managed to retain the v2 version, which I can use with Blue Cat's Patchwork on a Silicon Mac (the v2 was discontinued, and as such did not get the silicone treatment). Any one else had the same experience of the "downgrade" from v2 to v3?

I got SWAM strings v2 (which was based on tech from Sample Modeling before they broke up into two companies), and it worked wonders with my ROLI Seaboard. However, after upgrading to v3 (which was a total revamp utilizing proprietary tech not developed with/by Sample Modeling), it totally lost its playability and sound IMHO. I sold my copy, but happily managed to retain the v2 version, which I can use with Blue Cat's Patchwork on a Silicon Mac (the v2 was discontinued, and as such did not get the silicone treatment). Any one else had the same experience of the "downgrade" from v2 to v3?
Hi @peterharket ,

That's quite an interesting bit of feedback.

So, you feel something was broken in V3 when it comes to using it with a ROLI (MPE) Controller ? You also mention (Playability and Sound !) so something sounds worse to you in V3 when comparing it with V2 ?

I think if you have V3, you would have also access to V2 , so you can install either version. Can't remember for sure.

Anyways.. I'm going to look further into this, I'm currently waiting for a new PC system, so don't have a way to test it.

Cheers,
Muziksulp

Top Bottom