What's new

Softube : Weiss EQ-1 $549. (Really Worth it) ?

I can imagine that Manufacturer have to overthink their Price-Policies in the near future, due to the fact that a lot of people will need their money for, let's say, more essential things in life.

Beside that, in general, i miss the point how many units they sell, to be able to determine if it's overprized or not.

In the end i think it comes down to what you personally think/feel about the price or the "worth".
In the best case there is a trial to find out the "worth". There are quiet often no trials where there should be some, in my opinion.

I think anything is worth the price if it helps you accomplish a sound you are looking for, i have actually seen producers use the software version and the hardware,

A friend came to me and said that she wanted to purchase a phone for her mother what one do you think i should get her, i replied get your mon an i phone if you can, i do not own an i phone myself but i do understand the quality of the components that are used to make the phone,

someone would say a phone is a phone why pay so much money for one.

User satisfactions differs from one to another, some do not care, some cant understand why its so expensive, some will use nothing else but an iphone because the knowledge, and long relation and experience they have with that brand,

but someone who has never used an iphone will most likely always question its value of it

Depends on the workflow of the day. Usually Ozone 9, Pro Q3, or Kirchhoff.
I'm using Kirchhoff, but for rolling off things with a lot of saturated harmonics like guitar high end I am not able to get from Kirchhoff what I got from the new DDMF EQ called Grand EQ. Its really effortless to get tone at the frequencies you want, without losing whatever it is that is being lost in other digital EQs. In terms of this, Kirchhoff is really near the top of its game, better sounding than Fabfilter to my ears. They have a good minimum phase algo and their oversampling and high bits may be helping it a bit... over what Pro Q3 has to offer as far as I can tell, to my ears. Its strange though that when it comes to making a high cut roll off so that the reduction sounds natural (believe me, I tried using Kirchhoff to match this DDMF Grand EQ for maybe an hour or so, going back and forth between them). The guitar tones I was getting with Grand EQ were all passable no matter what I did. Usually I can make a guitar sound bad easily (or by accident). I dialed in a bright piano this evening and it also sounds excellent. For delicate tasks where like piano where the instrument spectrum is wide, or tasks like saturated guitar where there are delicate harmonics at the top, I think this is killer. I can use Kirchhoff for tweaks and dynamic EQ'ing, but this baby is for challenges and for me it clearly does some of them better than the more "capable" EQ's. I may be wrong but if my gut reaction is a factor, it is worth your trying the free demo.

I'm using Kirchhoff, but for rolling off things with a lot of saturated harmonics like guitar high end I am not able to get from Kirchhoff what I got from the new DDMF EQ called Grand EQ. Its really effortless to get tone at the frequencies you want, without losing whatever it is that is being lost in other digital EQs. In terms of this, Kirchhoff is really near the top of its game, better sounding than Fabfilter to my ears. They have a good minimum phase algo and their oversampling and high bits may be helping it a bit... over what Pro Q3 has to offer as far as I can tell, to my ears. Its strange though that when it comes to making a high cut roll off so that the reduction sounds natural (believe me, I tried using Kirchhoff to match this DDMF Grand EQ for maybe an hour or so, going back and forth between them). The guitar tones I was getting with Grand EQ were all passable no matter what I did. Usually I can make a guitar sound bad easily (or by accident). I dialed in a bright piano this evening and it also sounds excellent. For delicate tasks where like piano where the instrument spectrum is wide, or tasks like saturated guitar where there are delicate harmonics at the top, I think this is killer. I can use Kirchhoff for tweaks and dynamic EQ'ing, but this baby is for challenges and for me it clearly does some of them better than the more "capable" EQ's. I may be wrong but if my gut reaction is a factor, it is worth your trying the free demo.
Suggestion: use PluginDoctor to match all of the curves and THEN compare sound. And, separately, compare workflow.

To my ears, once lined up in PD, Kirchoff sounded the same as ProQ3, and the ProQ3 workflow was still better to me (in part because I'm used to it). Everyone's ears - and monitoring - are different, though. Same with Weiss and some others. There may also be situations/conditions/utilization I didn't compare, of course, where the rumored sonic differences are really apparent.

From what I can see and have read, the new DDMF is a bit of a usability nightmare and I'd never even demo it (I'm a UX professional).

Last edited:
Suggestion: use PluginDoctor to match all of the curves and THEN compare sound. And, separately, compare workflow.

To my ears, once lined up in PD, Kirchoff sounded the same as ProQ3, and the ProQ3 workflow was still better to me (in part because I'm used to it). Everyone's ears - and monitoring - are different, though. Same with Weiss and some others. There may also be situations/conditions/utilization I didn't compare, of course, where the rumored sonic differences are really apparent.

From what I can see and have read, the new DDMF is a usability nightmare and I'd never even demo it (I'm a UX professional).
It lacks bells and whistles relative to those EQ's I mentioned. But I don't own plugin doctor - however I think the guy at DDMF made plugin doctor - maybe when they approached the quality of sound for this Grand EQ they had a reason (i.e. testing the results of their algos that they chose) to pursue its objectives. We'll see. The jury's still out but Greg Wells weighed in (some Grammy-winning mixing engineer person who may or may not be unbiased...)

I'm using Kirchhoff, but for rolling off things with a lot of saturated harmonics like guitar high end I am not able to get from Kirchhoff what I got from the new DDMF EQ called Grand EQ.
With Kirchhoff, you can freely determine the quality of the High cut filters. E.g. combine one with a 4 dB octave slope with a stronger one that is higher.
In short: If you can't get it done with the Kirchhoff EQ, then it's not because of the Kirchhoff, but the user.

So far people supposedly have GrandEQ nulling down to -120db vs Crave, and almost even against Slick EQ, but the phase treatment is better on GrandEQ than Slick. More testing to come, I’m sure. The digital EQ field is very full of excellent products.

EDIT: I went back on what I said and DID install the demo. And, so far... it's exactly as I'd said: no difference to my ears, or to PD, once the curves are matched in PD between GrandEQ MP and ProQ3 NP.

Last edited:
Hah, that's definitely something- just testing this beauty out! The lows are really clean too even with higher settings and cleaning the low mids seem to be a walk in the park. Mids around 800k don't seem to be nothing special which is a bit shame, but understandable as it's not a "character" EQ. (I like my stuff a bit honky at times. :D )

Overall, I like the linear mode a bit better than dynamic, but both have definitely their own situations. Thus far I'm very pleased of the results, and it seems to be one of the best clean software mastering EQ's I've encountered. But let's see how time will tell! I'm a big fan of the other Weiss series- especially the de-esser, so I'm pretty sure this will end up into my ITB chain as a permanent inhabitant.

Weiss comp.. Yes
EQ hmmm can find better and cheaper alts.
Kirhoff,... I use MDW Eq and that is as good as weiss .. but not dynamic

Top Bottom