What's new

Softube : Weiss EQ-1 $549. (Really Worth it) ?

muziksculp

Hi,

I'm surprised at the super high price of this EQ from Softube.

Their WEISS EQ-1 is $549. Is it really worth this price, especially when compared to other high-quality mastering EQs ?

https://www.softube.com/weiss-eq1

Anyone here using it ?

What are other high-quality Mastering EQs you would recommend that cost much less than this one, that are very similar to it in quality ?

Just curious why this EQ is so $$$$$, and if it ever goes on Sale ? :confused:.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

The price probably reflects the amount of work they've put in to get that 1:1 accuracy with the hardware equivalent. The Weiss endorsement and licensing of IP will probably have cost a few dimes as well.

If it's worth it, is up to the customer.
Yeah, I figure they spent a lot of time, and effort modeling it as accurately as possible to sound, and behave like the HW EQ model, but I have no idea how good the HW , or what makes the HW so special, that I would want to spend $549 to get it in a plugin format.

Get the Weiss EQ-MP instead when it's on sale (or as part of Volume 5). Same very neutral sound and a MUCH better UI!

Thanks. Yes, I did see it, and was thinking about getting it instead. I will look further into it.

Any idea when do they go on Sale ?

Buying the EQ1 alone doesn't make sense and I do think the Weiss bundle is too expensive compared to the alternatives out there. I do own the bundle. However it does really sound good even when pushed and it's somewhat often on sale, so if you're earning a living on music then I would recommend it as cost is relatively low compared to the many years of use. But again, there's tons of alternatives out there.

There was a sale for Weiss products I think two weeks ago only for one weekend. If I remember correctly the EQ you mention was at 329 $

There was a sale for Weiss products I think two weeks ago only for one weekend. If I remember correctly the EQ you mention was at 329 $
Oh.. I missed it, but even $329. is too high for an EQ. these days. I'm really happy with what Kirchoff EQ is doing for me, I also have other options like PRO-Q3, Ozone 9, VSL EQ, and even got the AMEK EQ-250 from PA lately, but haven't put it in action yet. It seems to be very popular as a mastering EQ.

I might consider the WEISS EQ-MP when it goes on sale.

@muziksculp

Get on Softube’s mailing list, I get offers all of the time the Weiss stuff was recently on sale. I have and love most of the Softube plugins I have (No Weiss) but I never pay the list prices on anything from Softube.
What’s saved me lots of 💰💰 from overspending on EQ’s was the realization that my old drummer ears probably can’t really tell the difference on a really subtle level like a recording engineer would hear.
I have a bunch of great EQ’s,in my case it’s familiarity and just liking the functionality that’s really important to me and being able to get good results.
I have essentially stopped buying EQ’s.

Last edited:
@muziksculp

Get on Softube’s mailing list, I get offers all of the time the Weiss stuff was recently on sale. I have and love most of the Softube plugins I have (No Weiss) but I never pay the list prices on anything from Softube.
Thanks. I subscribed to their news letter. Hopefully I will know when they have their next sale.

I love using their Weiss Maximizer, and Limiter.

$549 is way too much for a software EQ. I've looked at the Softube Weiss plugins from time to time but even on sale they are too high for my wallet. I get that some of the ME's on Gearspace use it for mastering and it gets good reviews so it's a worthwhile investment and a tax right off. I'm good with Pro Q3, Pulsar Massive, a bunch from Plugin Alliance subscription. I've been looking at Kirchoff lately. It gets a lot of praise.

Ditto on Kirchhoff. Kirchhoff EQ and DMG Audio TrackComp 2, TrackLimit, and Limitless (for the master) - are 90% of my non-instrument/reverb plugin use. All are fast to use, low latency and low cpu.

I'm not a mastering engineer though. The Weiss EQ might be just what the doctor ordered if I were.

Ditto on Kirchhoff. Kirchhoff EQ and DMG Audio TrackComp 2, TrackLimit, and Limitless (for the master) - are 90% of my non-instrument/reverb plugin use. All are fast to use, low latency and low cpu.

I'm not a mastering engineer though. The Weiss EQ might be just what the doctor ordered if I were.
I use Trackcomp 2 all over the place. Limitless sometimes on the 2 bus. Both are top notch.

I also have the UAD Manley Massive Passive EQ, which is another popular Mastering EQ, many Mastering Engineers use the HW unit. A classic EQ.

Softube do fully-functional free trials (20 days I think) - so while you wait for the next sale, you might as well grab EQ1 and MP and see how you get on with them.

I find the interface and general complexity of EQ1 too much of a headache, but MP is a pleasure to use.

Top Bottom