What's new

Show me your desk

What’s in your racks ?
....the floor rack is redundant, old stuff like a TC electronic M3000 reverb, a TC Fireworx and a DAT recorder. The rack top right under the speaker has a Motu 1248 some midi sport, 2 Blackmagic SSD racks plus some unitor 8's. It's all in the DAW these days right?

....the floor rack is redundant, old stuff like a TC electronic M3000 reverb, a TC Fireworx and a DAT recorder. The rack top right under the speaker has a Motu 1248 some midi sport, 2 Blackmagic SSD racks plus some unitor 8's.
Can I see a pic closeup…I’m doing mine and want to see yours 🤓

While green with envy at some of the beautiful setups displayed in this thread, I am very grateful for the third monitor that I somehow managed to squeeze in.

In portrait mode, it really makes it easier to work with the Editor (pianoroll) and the many articulations.

Just a little nook under a slanted roof.. but it’s my little nook :)
D81F5AF9-C39E-4C58-AFA6-BDBD46DC04B4.jpeg
113C197D-C9A1-422A-B298-024FEE377006.jpeg
When I see images like these, I say to myself, these studio images are just as inspiring as making music!

Still some cable management to sort out, but I'm loving my new setup - especially the ability to easily transition between sitting and standing.

20210903_111138.jpg
Do you use the wacom for painting too and how does that work ergonomically for you? Which is the Monitor you have the image on if you do?

Well, after wiating 3 months+ for Buso Audio desk i gave up and asked for a refund.
The producer XL does look amazing but can't be waiting forever.

Ill have to continue using my ikea with a DIY keyboard slider and a couple of rack shelves.

For racks i have Warm audio 1073x2 clone. SSL Fusion w TC finalizer (its bascially a plug inreally), SLA2 amp fro ns10s and the arp 2600 (behringer). For those asking which and why rack gear.

I tried several outboard gear (eq/comp/limiter/verb/etc) and compared to the plugin versions and the difference wasnt as much compared to all the extra work and space the hwardware needs. Iveknown this since 2005 when i saw the video promo from waves SSL comp and CLA mixing the same song on both a real ssl vs waves w same/similar settings. I cannot find that video anymore. but still, as for heardware... i keep buying, comparing and selling :)
I mean, it does help getting a good sound faster but by now all the cables on the floor are giving me nightmares :)
At the end Having a streamlined setup i think trumps all that gear and the extra steps. Not to mention recall of course. Some poeple get inspired by the gear. OR it help sell professionalism to client (a very real thing)

I wanted to get the Overstayer Modular chanel which i think woud the the ideal desert island rack gear as its a mic pre, a mixing and mastering channel strip and distortion sfx unit all in one. But that company also took more than 4 months to deliver and asked for a refund :/

Do you use the wacom for painting too and how does that work ergonomically for you? Which is the Monitor you have the image on if you do?
I do create digital art, but it's usually of the procedural kind. I'm terrible at traditional art. But when I do use the Wacom for those rare occasions, I'll use the right hand monitor since it's closest to the tablet.

I just got my custom-made sit-stand desk from a local carpenter. It's my design, so I knew what to expect, but he went so far beyond that! I'm in awe of people who are *so* good at this kind of thing. Can't wait for Monday now! (excuse the pink curtains and messy studio - I only moved house a couple of weeks back!)

Attachments

• desk01.png
    desk01.png
    881.7 KB · Views: 163
  • desk dimensions.jpg
    desk dimensions.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 163
This old school bugger has got rid of his paper manuscript at long last. It cost me mind you because I've forked out for a Surface Studio. Oh boy what a transformation, Sibelius with a stylus is amazing and the Surface Studio can go from vertical to a drafting position.

DSC03006.jpg
Nice. This is the sort of duel workstation idea I'm building towards. I've given up on having the '88 in the "traditional" spot, be it on top or underneath the desk. The ergonomics simply don't work for me.

Update: And here's the idea in progress. Very much a prototype, but the goal is to have a "mouse and keyboard" free area to the left of the main work space. This area is designed for performing, loading patches and light sound editing via Logic's smart controls.

Logic is mainly driven by the iPad here with smart controls doing the heavy lifting for plugin settings, mics etc. Patches and libraries can be loaded in via the iPad. Early days and I'm finding Logic is...ahem...quirky with a couple of arrange windows open. But I'm loving the ergonomics of this. Will upgrade the Keystation to Hammer Pro soon.

Main desk (not pictured) has an M-Audio Oxygen Pro 32 as controller.

tempImagevXNZPD.png

Last edited:
I posted in this thread about 25 pages ago, I think pre-Covid, and since then almost everything has changed except my desk, couple controllers and main monitor. Still using the decade-old boomerang IKEA desk, and the curve on the left may look restricting, but I don't use the SL88 joysticks and it puts my controllers at a nice reach. I don't need the excessively bright SL88 LCD so Yay thin Apple keyboard, fits great. Anyhoo, here it is (PC and sub are underneath):
IMG_3066.jpg

This is my corner of our office/craft & sewing room, but it works for me. I literally used a ruler to fit some of this together to fit this way, lol.

=============================
Quick update a few days later: behind the left monitor I have two wedge-shaped foam bass traps stacked vertically in the corner, you can see the top of one in the photo. It was surprising how it brought a sense of clarity when listening through the near-fields, even though there's no port in the rear on them. Our PC monitors sure don't help, trapping sound behind, but if you're stuck in a corner like I am, it may be something to try, https://smile.amazon.com/Panels-Acoustic-Soundproof-Padding-Treatment/dp/B0894KVDM2 (they aren't expensive).

Last edited:
This is my corner of our office/craft & sewing room, but it works for me. I literally used a ruler to fit some of this together to fit this way, lol.
That actually looks like agood idea with the corner. Hm... you are giving me ideas.
However, the pianoroll absolutely needs to be on the right side. This screen setup would mess with my head.

That actually looks like agood idea with the corner. Hm... you are giving me ideas.
However, the pianoroll absolutely needs to be on the right side. This screen setup would mess with my head.
Actually, you're right! I had the mixer on the right in the front because it's a touchscreen and when I mix that's helpful. The left screen is new so for the photo I tossed the piano roll on there. But then I sat down to try compose and that did NOT work. The piano roll now sits on the right and I leave the mixer up on the left, or an instructional video or whatever. Only when I mix does the mixer go back to he right. There, now we can both sleep tonight. ;)

Nice looking setup!

But what are the acoustics like in the corner of a room like that?

Nice looking setup!

But what are the acoustics like in the corner of a room like that?
Ha! Scroll back up, I JUST added a paragraph talking about that! What timing. ;)
The tiles on the wall made an enormous different overall, but what I added above explains the bass traps which really helped. Also behind me is a large craft table and small bookcase with cloth storage bins, etc. So while it's an 18' room behind, there are tons of objects breaking up standing waves. When sitting at my mix position, it's surprisingly nice now, and believe me it used to be a horror before the room treatment. That is mandatory in a weird space like mine. Oh, and also the extensive Neumann calibration process is a big part of it. Keeps me from having to measure nodes and anti-nodes and manually trying to EQ the space. Sonarworks would be my choice if the Neumanns didn't come with a solution.

This shot shows it a little better... I have the acoustic tiles on the left also. That really helps minimize corner problems:
IMG_3072.jpg

BTW, under the speakers are 4" tall yoga blocks which are dense foam and cost 13 bucks for the pair. I never heard of yoga blocks, someone suggested that when I was blabbing about having to spend a ton o' money for acoustic risers. I love cheap hacks that work, lol! In fact, the stands are a slanted shelf leg from IKEA and I bought two wood cutting boards from Amazon and screwed them in place. What's nice it the stands have a locking nut so while they are mounted tight to the desk, I can rotate if necessary. Yay IKEA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom