What's new

See any good movies lately?

I started my year off with Jim Jarmusch's Paterson, a beautifully understated and thoughtful movie about the place of art in one's life and the poetry of the quotidian.

I saw the french dispatch, An offbeat, surprising film, full of humor with a polished and varied image that offers us original shots going from color to B&W without forgetting animated comics.

Last edited:
Yes. What's up with that? He's a genius, he works on a huge range of movies, and owns them all.
...Same for Howard Blake! who composed both the scores of the films I mentioned plus so many other great pieces of music! Such wonderful themes plucked from the sky!

In a film world now saturated with hybrid sonics a score created with pure traditional orchestral instruments is so refreshing to hear these days!

Such scores are always a poignant and potentially beautifully unconvoluted reminder to the modern composer how base musical structure of emotive melody and theme are the corner stones of quality composition.

Other than Dune, a recent film I really enjoyed was The Green Knight.

Perhaps the weirdest movie I’ve ever seen, I expected something completely different so I was very let down, had I known it was an A24 movie beforehand I probably wouldn’t have been surprised by what I saw, I can appreciate it for what it is but it was not the movie I thought I was seeing that’s for sure

Im trying to give some new movies a chance, but rapidly fall back to older movies from the 80‘s to the 90‘s. Saw „Altered States“ recently and loved it. „Santa Sangre“ was hard to finish.
Could recommend both.

Recently watched Disney Pixar movie “Soul”. It’s about a washed up jazz pianist who gets a shot at greatness but dies before he gets to play the gig, and tries to reunite his soul with his body.

There’s a part where theyre travelling through the afterlife and visit “The Zone”; the place where musicians go when they get in a groove.

Not my favourite score.

BUT the story made me smile and I highly recommend the movie; especially for musicians.

Perhaps the weirdest movie I’ve ever seen
I agree it's not made for mainstream audiences, but if that's the weirdest movie you've seen you really need to watch more movies!

Here are some from the top of my head:

- Eraserhead
- Pi
- Stalker
- Existenz
- Titus
- Waking Life
- Being John Malkovich
- Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
- Russian Ark

Hereditary is the best horror movie I've seen in a loooooong time. I found it refreshing to have horror not based on cheap jump-scares. Love the story, love the actors, love the way it was filmed. Can't recommend it enough...It'll stick with me for a while.

Hereditary is the best horror movie I've seen in a loooooong time. I found it refreshing to have horror not based on cheap jump-scares. Love the story, love the actors, love the way it was filmed. Can't recommend it enough...It'll stick with me for a while.
Thanks, will have a glimpse

The pandemic has turned me into a movie hound, so recently I rewatched a load of films in my favourite genre - the conspiracy thriller.
The last week or so has been - All the President's Men, Marathon Man, 3 Days of the Condor, The Pelican Brief, The Parallax View, Boys from Brazil, The Company You Keep ...
I love these films.

Have you seen "Midsommer"? If so, what did you think? I thought it was kind of the flip side of "Hereditary". A killer score, too.

Top Bottom