What's new

Round Robin for melodic instrument question

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Howdy,

I have a question about Round Robins with melodic instruments. I have recorded many and I'm just testing some stuff out at the minute.

Firstly, if I was to make a very basic non-melodic instrument patch, let's say a Kick drum with 3 round robins, it is my understanding that I can create 3 groups in the Group Editor and once I choose the settings 'Group Starts rd. robin' and make sure each group has the correct 'Position in round robin chain' (group 1 would be position1, Group 2 would be position 2, and Group 3 would be position 3. This seems simple enough to me. And it works.

However, what about a melodic instrument that has an octave E3 - E4? And each note has 3 dynamic layers? And each note and dynamic layer has 20 round robins? That's a massive amount of groups to create! I'm just wondering how people go about doing this? And this only 1 octave. Not 8 octaves like a Piano would have. I have tried looking in sample libraries to see what they have done and I can't find any that I have that aren't locked to learn from.

I have successfully used automap and mapped out all my notes in an octave, and each note has all of it's 3 dynamic layers mapped properly. I've also done some basic velocity crossfading between the dynamic layers but I just can't quite get my head around sorting out this many round robins.

Many thanks for any help

Jono

d.healey

You don't necessarily have to limit your mapping activities to a different thing goes in a different group. You have 127 velocities and 127 notes, you can use those too.

For example you could map your round robins to different velocities and map your dynamics to different groups, and map your articulations to different note ranges. Then you use scripting to trigger the correct velocity/group/note.

You will probably find these articles by Orange Tree Samples very helpful:
Especially this one - https://www.orangetreesamples.com/blog/ksp-making-the-most-of-groups

OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
You don't necessarily have to limit your mapping activities to a different thing goes in a different group. You have 127 velocities and 127 notes, you can use those too.

For example you could map your round robins to different velocities and map your dynamics to different groups, and map your articulations to different note ranges. Then you use scripting to trigger the correct velocity/group/note.

You will probably find these articles by Orange Tree Samples very helpful:
Especially this one - https://www.orangetreesamples.com/blog/ksp-making-the-most-of-groups
Thanks David. Funny enough, I'm currently watching your Kontakt 101 course you did with Thinkspace a while back!

OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Those Orange Tree articles are amazing.

I also just watched this video and it basically demonstrates exactly why scripting round robins is essential. Makes such a difference having random no repeat.

Last edited:
OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Map the entire keyboard/velocity map in one group per robin. That's the traditional way.
Worked like a charm. Amazing! Thank you! So satisfying getting something like this working!

Top Bottom