What's new

Resources for learning Falcon

Br0Haha

The following list is non-exhaustive (though it could lead to exhaustion, due to sleep deprivation).
Video Speed Controller is a useful extension for Chrome or Firefox; it makes it easy to arbitrarily speed up or slow down video streams.

There's a detailed and clear Falcon tutorial by a Youtuber called aikelab. It shows how to create a sampled instrument and then build the interface with Lua scripting. The link is here:

Thanks, this answers so many questions I had about custom sample instruments. This is really where Falcon shines.

There's a detailed and clear Falcon tutorial by a Youtuber called aikelab. It shows how to create a sampled instrument and then build the interface with Lua scripting. The link is here:

This is a brilliant video. Thanks for posting the link.

Having used Falcon for a few months now, I can see why some people keep a good distance away from it. It's fairly daunting, sitting somewhere between a regular synth/sampler and modular system. I've been itching to dive into hardware modular for some time now, but since I'm as poor as a church mouse, I'll have to settle for SoloRack, Hyperion, and others of that ilk.

Falcon's extensive learning curve is the price to pay for its extraordinary flexibility and extended capabilities: most other synths are all very similar with 2, sometimes more oscillators.

Also, a big screen is highly recommended to resize its windows, especially vertically.

I'm beginning to get confident after spending time recreating presets from other synths into Falcon.

Weirdly, for a simple soul with little synth experience, I find that Falcon is one of the easiest synths I have ever learned to use. Of course, I'm using it in a way that is much more basic than the advanced programming that others are doing; but the simplicity of picking this oscillator, that filter, those effects, is delightful.

Trying to get envelopes to work where I want them is not delightful, however! If Pigments sounded as good to me as Falcon does, I might use that more.

A lot of the speed with Falcon for me comes from its great range and quality of effects. As I often start with a sample, with other samplers I have to do more processing in advance of importing the sample. With Falcon, I can do much of that processing internally as I'm shaping the patch. But those effects are very useful when applied to a synthetic oscillator too.

Weirdly, for a simple soul with little synth experience, I find that Falcon is one of the easiest synths I have ever learned to use. Of course, I'm using it in a way that is much more basic than the advanced programming that others are doing; but the simplicity of picking this oscillator, that filter, those effects, is delightful.

Trying to get envelopes to work where I want them is not delightful, however! If Pigments sounded as good to me as Falcon does, I might use that more.

A lot of the speed with Falcon for me comes from its great range and quality of effects. As I often start with a sample, with other samplers I have to do more processing in advance of importing the sample. With Falcon, I can do much of that processing internally as I'm shaping the patch. But those effects are very useful when applied to a synthetic oscillator too.
Bee,

I don't know if this helps, but I complained to UVI about the Analog ADSR, which is used as the default Amp envelope for about half of the synth-type oscillators, because attack can't go under 100 us, and because its release is much longer than the value you type.

Their answer makes sense. The aim is to mimic an analogic envelope, so no 0 ms attack, and the release scale is based on the RC convention.

TLDR: when I need a very short attack or a precise release, I switch the Analog ADSR for the Digital AHDSR.

Last edited:
Bee,

I don't know if this helps, but I complained to UVI about the Analog ADSR, which is used as the default Amp envelope, because attack can't go under 100 us, and because its release is much longer than the value you type.

Their answer makes sense. The aim is to mimic an analogic envelope, so no 0 ms attack, and the release scale is based on the RC convention.

TLDR: when I need a very short attack or a precise release, I switch the Analog ADSR for the Digital AHDSR.

That's actually extremely helpful, thankyou. UVI are good at knowing what they doing, even if it isn't always easy to work out what that is!

Top Bottom