What's new

RESEARCH. Would you rather an ARTY sampler video or a TECH one?

See BELOW. Do you prefer the first arty vid or the second plain one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flintpope

Sound designer and seller of BRILLO
I have a question.

If I were to show you this

Would you go "Yeah but how is it created" or "Hmmm. Atmospheric. I wonder how he got those sounds."

Or would you rather a more toolkit style basic video like this one...?

Ouch. But thanks, I want answers.
Sorry, it's just my default reaction for videos that I "don't get". I click ahead a couple of times and when nothing captures my attention I'm out. The second video gives me so much more information after watching just 1 second of it.
If I may make a suggestion for optimizing the title of the second video: "Atmospheric soundscape presets for Native Instruments FORM Synth"
That should give you better chances of being found through search queries. More people will search for the name of the synth (and they will either add native instruments or synth to the query because form is too generic) than for Flintpope.
Good luck!

I wouldn't say either is better because they serve entirely different purposes...

First one is a teaser, meant to create intrigue... as many companies do pre-release,
but its lack of specificity makes it kind of throw-a-away...
response: "huh? ok... guess we'll find out what its about..."

second one is practically an explainer video: here is what it does
response: "I can see & hear it do what it does... whats its range, scope etc"

I like both, especially for the lack of a talking head 'influencer' :)

I wouldn't say either is better because they serve entirely different purposes...

First one is a teaser, meant to create intrigue... as many companies do pre-release,
but its lack of specificity makes it kind of throw-a-away...
response: "huh? ok... guess we'll find out what its about..."

second one is practically an explainer video: here is what it does
response: "I can see & hear it do what it does... whats its range, scope etc"

I like both, especially for the lack of a talking head 'influencer' :)
Thank you Tim. This is perhaps putting into words what I have done intuitively; a very fair assessment of my publicity process. I may seem "needy" asking for feedback on this but I work on my own, staring into a mac with a pair of headphones my only critics. It is important for me to get out of this box sometimes!

And I agree that the lack of a pumped-up nerdy influencer can be seen as a plus for anyone watching over the age of 29.

With the exception of David Hilowitz they are mostly buffoons.

Not at all, research is always worthwhile...
And I too just work on my own, so totally understand how difficult objectivity is.

While I appreciate the wisdom behind it, I've never really A/B tested variations and always just try to do the absolute best I can within the time available. While A/B testing would be the results-driven way of testing, it also seems a risk to offer a potentially lesser experience to anyone to verify instincts.

I agree re David Hilowitz, I've watched more than a few of his vids without any cringe - he comes across as genuine, authentic & unhyped. Similarly, there are plenty of other media with presenters that do not irritate. Maybe the vacuous influencer phenomena is just the sea monkeys of a different generation? :)

"So eager to please, they can even be trained"

6a00d83452989a69e20133f1f129d0970b-800wi.jpg

Voted for number 2 as I've usually like to see and hear how a library works in itself. But then again I do love a good promo video as long as it is made for that specific purpose and not just a general art video. :)

Voted for number 2 as I've usually like to see and hear how a library works in itself. But then again I do love a good promo video as long as it is made for that specific purpose and not just a general art video. :)
Thanks Tapsa!

Thanks to everyone who answered this. I have re-jigged my sales pitch to introduce potential customers to the "walkthrough" videos first up, then offer them the artsy one if they wish. It works!

Top Bottom