What's new

reFX NEXUS 4 - just released!

i was fine paying 99 from version 2 to 3.
They rewrote the whole plugin but this is a downright outrage to customers like me who are heavily invested in the platform…Whats worse is any new expansion going foward will ONLY work on nexus 4….hows THAT for an A$$ F@kin’ ??…I’m selling my license and leveling up my sound design skills lol .

Changelog for version 4.0.0 - 2021-11-26
new:
  • Front panel
    • The reverbs gained a "shimmer" effect.
    • Output scope is now synced.
    • Added new spectrum analyzer.
    • Added new spectrum analyzer (bars).
    • Added new spectrogram.
    • Added new vector scope.
    • Added new stacked spectrum analyzer.
    • The skins can now be selected from the three-dot menu.
    • Hovering over your avatar reveals sync state and statistics.
    • Your avatar now has a sync and online indicator.
  • Librarian
    • The search-field works for folders too now.
    • Folders can be added to favorites.
    • Folders are separated by headers, for a clearer overview.
    • The librarian has a history now, so if you get lost, you can go back easily.
    • The results are also separated by headers now, when sorted by category.
    • The preview on/off toggle is now next to it's volume dial, for quicker access.
    • The tag-display has been modernized.
  • Arpeggiator
    • The arpeggiator gained an fully interactive, zoomed out overview at the top.
    • A new option to "follow" has been added, so when zoomed in it follows the playback.
    • New editing options have been added (duplicate).
  • Modulation
    • The LFOs gained a view of their current shape and output value.
    • The Mod-matrix sources can now be "shaped" for more accurate control.
    • The Mod-matrix sources fields are now wider, allowing to read macro-names.
  • Effects
    • Effects can now be re-arranged by drag'n'drop.
    • Added "glitch" FX.
    • Added "ott" compressor FX.
    • Added "magnetic" insert FX.
    • Added "noise" insert FX.
    • Added "razor" insert FX.
    • Added a fifth insert FX slot.
    • The whole FX chain can be saved and loaded.
    • Each effect has a small set of presets, serving as starting points.
  • System
    • Instance
      • Added option for "arp-sync". Defines how the arp plays when releasing all keys.
      • Added "microtuning" option with lots of presets. Can also load any .scl file your throw at it.
    • Preferences
      • Added "unbounded" mouse, which allows adjustments even for values close to screen edges.

FREE "Christmas 2021"-Expansion is out!

Just open your Nexus Cloud App and click on "not installed (1)" ;)

I had never really heard of Nexus before the recent update, so I decided to have a look into it. I was rather shocked to find it is a ROMpler but costs similar to something like Omnisphere. I can't figure out why it costs what it does, given you have to buy preset packs for it, as you can't create your own sounds!

I had never really heard of Nexus before the recent update, so I decided to have a look into it. I was rather shocked to find it is a ROMpler but costs similar to something like Omnisphere. I can't figure out why it costs what it does, given you have to buy preset packs for it, as you can't create your own sounds!
The banks are usually quite well groomed, their sounds are ment to be instantly usable.
It's kind of famous because many top producers are using it. Producers that don't necessary care to craft sounds but find something quickly that can fit on the track.
Many of their sound sets are also build by famous producers, which some producers are looking to get 'that sound'

It's a rompler, but also quite flexible, you can still tweak a sound to an extend.

Now for the pricing, I guess it's because of its fame, and because it's there from the ancient era when there was not that much competition.

It's basically instant mix. While it may look like a pretty static piece of software, it can result in a nicely creative experience as, thanks to a peculiar sonic fingerprint (I'm still unsure what the secret is), it allows you to stack sounds, patches and instances on top of eachother like crazy without messing up everything. You can melt faces using that little thing the right way, that's why so many producers and arrangers use it. Its like having basic ingredients, but of the right quality.

It has also a pretty low impact on resources and a huge lot of sounds (expecially with expansions) that you can customize enough (you got separate arpeggiator and gate for each layer plus global ones, inserts for fx and a good bunch of classic synth controls easy to tweak).

All in all I consider myself a good fan of Nexus, I used it so many times in so many different contexts that I lost the count. Perhaps not the best tool if you just work cinematic and look for a clear inspiration out of a single sound. But if you have a more wide array of styles and have fun arranging and producing in a kinda electronic fashion (stacking stuff and mangling sounds) well it's a good resource of fun.

And apparently all Russian owners have now had their ReFX accounts banned and can't use their legitimately purchased software.

There's an extended discussion of the issues this raises here:

It's a c*ntish move.

Do you really think the majority Russians support the war?
What are their options? Speak out against it and get jailed... or killed even!

Do you really think it's fair to revoke someone's software licenses when they've spent $2-2500, because of some authoritarian (dick)tatorial government, that the people have no say in or control over?

I would understand if they chose not to allow any further sales or licenses, but to block existing customers, who have already paid money, and then refuse to provide service is a d*ck move on their part.

But then this is ReFX we are talking about, and it is not the first time they have pulled this sort of bulls#it. In fact, they have a long history of it. So I am not entirely surprised by their appalling behavior.

Last edited:
Not the first time from reFX to act like scammers. They also banned all chinese customers when they realized that their product was cracked by a chinese hacker.
They are also famous for being arrogant when people try to fix their issues with nexus via reFX customer support.
Overpriced product with sounds from 2010. I dunno who's gonna buy their stuff.

Reactions: tcb
i was fine paying 99 from version 2 to 3.
They rewrote the whole plugin but this is a downright outrage to customers like me who are heavily invested in the platform…Whats worse is any new expansion going foward will ONLY work on nexus 4….hows THAT for an A$$ F@kin’ ??…I’m selling my license and leveling up my sound design skills lol .
Yeah, my thought exactly. Version 3 felt like a new version while version 4 feels like a version 3 upgrade. Not much interest in Nexus anymore and even less when they act like this.

I mostly use it when Im too lazy to find certain sounds on other synths, but it never lasts to the track is finished. The moment the sound doesn’t fit the track I replace Nexus (that can’t be tweaked) with other synths and wonder why I started with it in the first place (which was for early sketching).. :)

So many other good synths these days.

Top Bottom