What's new

Recommendations for a C++ IDE for audio development

Locks

Penguinologist
I'm about to start a project where I build my own VST plugin in an effort to finally learn C++. I'm looking for recommendations for IDEs and/or workflows that are suited towards audio development.

My day job is data analytics and climate projection modelling so while I'm new to C++ I do have decent experience using high-level object-oriented programming languages such as Python and R. When using R I primarily use "R-Studio" as my IDE, in Python I typically work in "Sublime Text" and run through code using the "IPython" command shell.

Just wondering what tools any C++ audio developers here use and how your workflow looks?

Usually it's Xcode on Mac or Visual Studio on Windows... More advanced C++ devs oftentimes appreciate the likes of CLion for its code refactoring tools.

Usually it's Xcode on Mac or Visual Studio on Windows... More advanced C++ devs oftentimes appreciate the likes of CLion for its code refactoring tools.
Thanks Dragon. I hadn't heard of CLion. I'll check it out.

I recommend the Juce framework: https://juce.com/
You can use it with many IDEs. It comes with the Projucer application, which makes project set-up a breeze.
I'm definitely interested in using JUCE. Looks like a fantastic framework. Does JUCE contain decent DSP functions as well? If not any recommendations? I have come across https://www.audio-tk.com/ (audio-tk) which looks pretty decent.

Visual studio or code blocks on Windows. Xcode on Mac.
Thanks healey. I've decided to be break convention and give Visual Studio for Mac a try. I've always found XCode to be a little bloated for my liking.

By the way, just had a look at your website and saw that your one of the developers for the CollaB3 organ. I've had that VST for years and really love it. So thank you.

Last edited:
I didn't actually have much to do with it. I just cleaned up some of the code and did a bit of compiling, it was mostly built by the other contributors.
Well thanks for your part none the less. Anyway, I'm keen to give VS a go. Looks like it has killer debug functionality which is important to me.

Might want to check out HISE too
Had my eye on HISE for a while actually. I spoke to Christoph a while ago and he told me you can even use HISE as a C++ framework which is pretty neat. This project isn't sample based though so maybe down the line.

Top Bottom